fun with slang

Baa_Mango

Lets try to contribute funny or new words or slang.

ภาษาวัยรุ่น is chock full of stuff.

A funny, if not offensive one I've heard with uni friends is พ่อง

shortened, mixed version of พ่อมึง

anyways, as always learning funny words doesn't mean you need to try to spout them off with non intimate friends.

please contribute something. get in the game!

• Like 1

Is เดี๋ยวจัดให้ a sarcastic equivalent of “You wish!”? In Teochew, they say ไอ่เจี่ยวอู๊, literally, want-will-have which is a sarcasm. Methink เดี๋ยวจัดให้ is the same. Right?

Edited by fire69water

firewater : no. to จัดให้ for someone is to do something for someone.. or take care of, set up etc.

example

you : เฮ้ย...กูหิวเกิน..อยากแดกยำมะม่วง

banky (คุณเบงค์กี้) : รอก่อนครับ..ผมจะจัดให้

firewater : no. to จัดให้ for someone is to do something for someone.. or take care of, set up etc.

example

you : เฮ้ย...กูหิวเกิน..อยากแดกยำมะม่วง

banky (คุณเบงค์กี้) : รอก่อนครับ..ผมจะจัดให้

Banky, the question is, when you answered me like so, are you refusing me in a sacarstic way, or are you actually going to provide me what I asked for.

Following the episode of that southern Thai teen who cursed and swore at the thief of her stolen sticky rice and chicken, I was wondering if this could be the birth of a new Thai slang: หนี่ยวไก่หาย (the southern accent variety) to allude to and mean the Thai swear words she is famous for. A milder form of it, perhaps?

hey firewater, banky is definitely not sarcastic, and will make it for you. the phrase is not sarcastic at all.

Also if your going to make a party, or setup work or what not you can say จัดงาน.. you will notice many dentist's offices will have a big จัดฟัน on the sign.

เดี๋ยวจัดให้ does not mean "as you wish" like fire69water said.

It means closer to Baa_Mango's explanation as" do something for someone.. or take care of, set up etc"

Some slang words

แอ๊บแบ๊ว to act cute,pretend to be innocent or naive,act childishly
โคตร much,very,extremely
ติดเรท x-rated,sex related topics
ขำ funny,smile,fun
แอ๊บแมน people that are obviously gays but don't show that
แฮ๊บ to steal some minor thing
เด็กแวนท์ usually what's called a group of thai youngster with modified 100/125cc small motorcycles
Edited by thaichalina
  • Like 1

Look here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaGEghVOljI

Mod is a classic.

Great topic ... thumbsup.gif

I don't speak or read Thai.

Any chance of breaking down a few of them into Phonetic English so I can have some fun?

Just a couple ... I know it's a big ask.

I'll go watch that YouTube now as it's one I've not seen before.

hey firewater, banky is definitely not sarcastic, and will make it for you. the phrase is not sarcastic at all.

Also if your going to make a party, or setup work or what not you can say จัดงาน.. you will notice many dentist's offices will have a big จัดฟัน on the sign.

Hey, thanks. i also found some cool slangs from the song:

'จัดไป' (it means OK/yes/down for it/let's do it especially when s/o asks u to do s/th or requests s/th from you.

'งานเข้า' (you realize that something bad is gonna happen.)

:)

It means closer to Baa_Mango's explanation as" do something for someone.. or take care of, set up etc"

I have on good authority that while เดี๋ยวจัดให้ literally means 'will set it up or take care of it in a while' it is frequently used sarcastically to mean the opposite. More like 'You wish! or 'Dream on!'. Any native Thai to comment on this? If I'm correct, this is a useful way to refuse humorously a native Thai's absurd request. Edited by fire69water

I have on good authority that while เดี๋ยวจัดให้ literally means 'will set it up or take care of it in a while' it is frequently used sarcastically to mean the opposite. More like 'You wish! or 'Dream on!'. Any native Thai to comment on this? If I'm correct, this is a useful way to refuse humorously a native Thai's absurd request.

I'd say part of the sarcasm / humor is in offering to set up something they know the person doesn't want, like a girl telling a guy they'll set up a makeover / nail polishing session for a guy. 'I'll get right on that' / 'I'm all over it'.

Or say a girl said they were sore, the guy replies offering a massage and เดี๋ยวจัดให้ in a cheeky way.

cool firewater, never heard of that, but given the context you say it does make sense. literally speaking though it has that meaning we talked bout above though.

Also Lara Alex, yes I love that song.. and yeah งานเข้า is AWESOME, super classic staple phrase!

also rakสงบ the word โคตร is exactly as you said, and ร is silent. It just reminds me of a rougher มาก, which perhaps could be impolite.

also thaichalina, great contribution, I just learned a few things from your list.

inreference to bike kids ( แว้น และ สก๊อย ) we need to check out ol พี่โจ

easier informal hello

หวัดดี

รึ

ว่าไง <<< more like : what up?

Seen thai friends start conversations with 'yo', 'yo yo', and 'yoohoo'

โย่ว

โย่วๆ

ยูฮู่

or say the person's name twice e.g. james เจมๆ

opening e.g. 'Mook my perfect darling...' before asking a favor มุกสุดน่ารัก...

replying 'wet dream' ฝันเปียก when wished 'good dream' ฝันดี can get a laugh from the right person

• Like 2

One of my favourite 'try and get a larf' Thai sayings is to mispronounce หิวโหย meaning 'very hungry' (hungry + fatigued).

If you do not strive to make a perfect sala โอ sound, it comes out sounding more like หิวหอย which can be vulgarly translated as 'hungry for c**t'

Sometimes gets a larf!

• Like 1

Look here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaGEghVOljI

Mod is a classic.

Great topic ... thumbsup.gif

I don't speak or read Thai.

Any chance of breaking down a few of them into Phonetic English so I can have some fun?

Just a couple ... I know it's a big ask.

I'll go watch that YouTube now as it's one I've not seen before.

Hi David48,

Copy and paste the Thai writing into Google Translate and at the bottom of the left hand box it reads the quote phonetically, not the best at times but there's also a speaker/listen icon. Click on that and a lovely lady will read it to you in a Thai accent thumbsup.gif

Hope this helps, Merry Christmasbiggrin.png

I have on good authority that while เดี๋ยวจัดให้ literally means 'will set it up or take care of it in a while' it is frequently used sarcastically to mean the opposite. More like 'You wish! or 'Dream on!'. Any native Thai to comment on this? If I'm correct, this is a useful way to refuse humorously a native Thai's absurd request.
Actually, there are shades of using 'เดี๋ยวจัดให้' depending on situations.

1. you're excited to do something for someone.

e.g. A: ขอเพลงของ บอดี้แสลม หน่อยพี่

B: ได้เลยน้อง เดี๋ยวพี่จัดให้!

2. you say it with sarcastic sense. take a look on the following example:

Dude always wake up around 1 pm. He gets annoyed when his mom tries to wake him up.

Dude: แม่เลิกปลุกสักทีได้ไหม ผมจะนอน

Mom : ได้ ชอบนอนตื่นสายใช่ไหม? เดี๋ยวจัดให้!

His mom gets upset bc he always wakes up late.

thus she finds a way to correct him. when she says 'เดี๋ยวจัดให้' , she does not gonna let him sleep happily. she might turn up the radio very loud at 6 am and see if he will wake up.

:)

Edited by Lara Alex