Permanent Thai Residency Requirements

I am interested in becoming a Thai permanent resident. I am an American. I am currently one a 1-year Non-Immigrant Multiple Entry Visa. I heard there was an application period that I could apply for permanent residency. What are the requirements, such as, how much money do I have to have in a Thai bank account, where I can obtain applications, and any other requirements?

You have to be on extensions of stay for 3 years working with a work permit and paying taxes for those 3 years.

I heard from somewhere that I could just have money in a Thai bank account and that I could apply for residency status. I, also, heard as long as I have a Non-Immigrant O Visa for 3 consecutive years I could apply. Is this true? I didn't know I had to have a work permit. What happens if I am retired and under the age of 55 with a decent fixed income?

You can get most required info at http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=residence

In past years, the Interior Ministry made an announcement in late November, "opening up" the application period for that year - which usually started between 11 and 14 December, and ran until the end of December.

But - there evidently will not be an application period in 2014 - just as there were no applications accepted in 2010. So - you have a full year to prepare.

As an American, your hardest (and longest lead time) action will be getting the criminal records check from USA - which requires that you get fingerprinted in Thailand, on an FBI form (FD-258 Fingerprint Card) that you can download - and you must then send it off to an FBI Processing center in West Virginia. It takes them about four months to send you the clearance certificate. See: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks When I applied, I got myself fingerprinted at the Prakhanong Police Station - at no cost (and they would not even accept a "tip" that I wanted to leave).

You also need a medical exam performed at a Government Hospital - I got mine at Police General Hospital at Ratchaprasong - and again, there was no charge.

• Like 1