Suvarnabhumi Airport To Open For All Local Flights On Sept 15

george

Suvarnabhumi Airport to open for all local flights on Sept 15

BANGKOK: -- The Suvarnabhumi Airport will be opened for services to all local airline flights on September 15 instead of an original schedule of September 28 to prevent equipment transfer bustling, according to Transport Minister Pongsak Rattapongpaisal.

He revealed the Committee on Management of Suvarnabhumi Airport Development chaired by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra would hold a final meeting on August 18.

The committee would announce an official schedule for the opening of the airport for commercial services at the meeting.

Of late, the premier had instructed officials concerned to bring forward the date of the opening of the airport for services to all local flights to September 15 from 28 so that there would be no problems on the equipment transfer.

The minister said he was confident of opening the airport for services sooner following a successful test run of the airport on July 29, which showed all systems are already in place.

He said the opening of the services to all local flights sooner would make international flight airlines transfer equipment more conveniently.

More importantly, it would give the airport operator 14 days of the actual run so that it could be aware of any problems, said the minister.

--TNA 2006-08-07

He revealed the Committee on Management of Suvarnabhumi Airport Development chaired by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra would hold a final meeting on August 18.--TNA 2006-08-07

Final meeting???????? I guess their work is done and any problems will then be the responsibility of who? AoT?

I just wonder how this will affect me, I'm arriving on Thai from Copenhagen Sep 19th early morning with a 2 hour transit before getting on TG to Phuket, luggage checked through to Phuket, what a mess that's going to be :o

Well if all goes how I think it will - Don Muang will be your destination. :D

I just wonder how this will affect me, I'm arriving on Thai from Copenhagen Sep 19th early morning with a 2 hour transit before getting on TG to Phuket, luggage checked through to Phuket, what a mess that's going to be :o

"We are working out the details for the flights (between) September 15 and September 28," he said. During that time, most domestic flights would operate out of Suvarnabhumi.

However, planes from major tourist cities, including Chiang Mai and Phuket, would use Don Muang International Airport, to ensure that foreign travellers encountered no problems when catching international flights home. Today, THAI will announce its moving plans, outlining the equipment to be transported from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi and when it would be done.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/08/08...es_30010613.php

"We are working out the details for the flights (between) September 15 and September 28," he said. During that time, most domestic flights would operate out of Suvarnabhumi.

However, planes from major tourist cities, including Chiang Mai and Phuket, would use Don Muang International Airport, to ensure that foreign travellers encountered no problems when catching international flights home. Today, THAI will announce its moving plans, outlining the equipment to be transported from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi and when it would be done.

So if I'm travelling from Chiang Mai, to visit friends in Hat Yai or Songkla, I can't even make a domestic connection in Bangkok. :D

Come back Orient Express, of a decade ago, with your lovely Chiang Mai to Surat to Hat Yai to CM low-cost flights ! :D

One-Two-Go airline expects its passengers to drop by 5% during the first few months at Suvarnabhumi airport

One-Two-Go airline expects its passengers to decrease by 5% in the first few months after it moves to Suvarnabhumi airport.

Manasnan Tantiprasongchai (มนัสนันทน์ ตันติประสงค์ชัย), the airline’s marketing director, said the passengers who are in the provinces may have problems traveling to and from the new airport in the beginning. These passengers, who make up about 5% of the airline’s 120,000 regular customers, may switch to use air-conditioned buses instead, Ms. Manasnan said.

She said the number of passengers should drop for a few months only.

One-Two-Go flies 13 domestic flights on eight routes daily. Ms. Manasnan said it plans to add flights to Phitsanulok, Krabi and Nakhon Si Thammarat and for international services, to Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 August 2006

So if I'm travelling from Chiang Mai, to visit friends in Hat Yai or Songkla, I can't even make a domestic connection in Bangkok. :o
My guess is that if both flights are with the same airline, your connecting flight will be from the same airport where you arrive.

I can hardly wait for 15 September to come, and see what will really happen. Quite a few people will have a good laugh, I wager.

---------------

Maestro

So if I'm travelling from Chiang Mai, to visit friends in Hat Yai or Songkla, I can't even make a domestic connection in Bangkok. :D
My guess is that if both flights are with the same airline, your connecting flight will be from the same airport where you arrive.

I can hardly wait for 15 September to come, and see what will really happen. Quite a few people will have a good laugh, I wager.

---------------

Maestro

Seems to me that a lot of people are already laughing at the total incompetence displayed by thai officials.

:o

oh great ..

I will be in Thailand from Sept 1st-16th.

Does anyone know how much time to allow for connecting from the new airport to the old one ?

Will be flying in from Khon kaen when i leave , so sounds like i will have to switch airports.

Also what are the transport options , just taxis? or will there be a regular bus service ?

Edited by parryhandy

THAI is ready to run its flights at Suvarnabhumi Airport on September 15th

Thai Airways has announced that it is ready to run its five flights at Suvarnabhumi Airport on September 15th.

Flg. Off. Apinan Sumanaserani (อภินันท์ สุมนะเศรณี), the Thai Airways President, said that its first five flights, which will run at the commercial airport, include Suvarnabhumi-Phitsanulok (สุวรรณภูมิ-พิษณุโลก) for three flights, Suvarnabhumi-Chiang Mai (สุวรรรภูมิ-เชียงใหม่), and Suvarnabhumi-Ubon Ratchathani (สุวรรณภูมิ-อุบลราชธานี).

The Thai Airways is considering whether or not it will offer a special reduction for passengers who want to join these flights or not.

Besides, the airways will distribute a questionnaire to passengers so that they can comment on its services.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 August 2006

I will be in Thailand from Sept 1st-16th.

Does anyone know how much time to allow for connecting from the new airport to the old one ?

Will be flying in from Khon kaen when i leave , so sounds like i will have to switch airports.

Also what are the transport options , just taxis? or will there be a regular bus service?

Khonkaen-Bangkok: Where you will land in Bangkok depends on the airline you use. As of now, THAI has made it clear that as long as their international flights leave from Don Muang they will fly their domestic flights to Bangkok into Don Muang. Most other local carriers have not yet made up their minds.

Suvarnabhumi-Don Muang: There is a bus service from Bangkok to Don Muang, and reportedly there will also be a bus service to Suvarnabhumi. A direct bus link between Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang has also been rumoured, but I have seen no authoritative confirmation. I would suggest a taxi.

---------------

Maestro

SUVARNABHUMI

THAI gears up to begin local servicesfrom Sept 15

Thai Airways International is gearing up to begin using Suvarnabhumi airport for domestic flights from Sept 15, if the idea is given the green light as expected. THAI plans to move flights to Phitsanulok, Chiang Mai and Ubon Ratchathani from Don Muang to the new airport in Samut Prakan's Bang Phli district if the idea gets the go-ahead, said THAI executive vice-president Narongsak Sangapong.

The national flag carrier will offer a daily flight to Phitsanulok from Suvarnabhumi, offer three weekly flights to Chiang Mai on Monday, Tuesday and Saturday, and four weekly flights to Ubon Ratchathani on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday.

The plan was unveiled after the Transport Ministry floated the idea on Monday of moving some domestic flights to the new airport ahead of the official opening on Sept 28.

Whether the plan should be given the go-ahead will be decided at a meeting next week of the committee preparing for the airport's opening.

But the ministry's idea may also lead to chaos for travellers heading overseas who would have to change flights.

But caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said in Khon Kaen, where he attended a mobile cabinet meeting, that the government would try to limit the impact as much as possible.

Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal said free bus services operated by the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority could be used to transport passengers from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang for connecting flights to overseas destinations.

He said moving some domestic flights to Suvarnabhumi early will help officials preparing for the transfer as they will have time to test all systems before Sept 28. On that day, all international and domestic flights, except chartered and cargo flights, will move from Don Muang.

Passenger service charges will be lifted for airlines using Suvarnabhumi from Sept 15 until the day the airport officially opens, he said.

The plan was unveiled after the Transport Ministry floated the idea on Monday of moving some domestic flights to the new airport ahead of the official opening on Sept 28.

Whether the plan should be given the go-ahead will be decided at a meeting next week of the committee preparing for the airport's opening.

I wish I knew how to set up an online betting shop and I’d be taking bets, only from non-residents of Thailand of, of course, to keep it legal.
The plan was

But the ministry's idea may also lead to chaos for travellers heading overseas who would have to change flights.

See, an escape clause is already built in. September 16: “So sorry, Mr. Prime Minister, we really wanted to do it but we could not because it would have led to chaos for travellers flying overseas”

A lot of the current public statements are made to please the Prime Minister, but wait for reality to set in.

---------------

Maestro

BANGKOK: -- The Suvarnabhumi Airport will be opened for services to all local airline flights on September 15 instead of an original schedule of September 28 to prevent equipment transfer bustling, according to Transport Minister Pongsak Rattapongpaisal.

--TNA 2006-08-07

Thai Airways International is gearing up to begin using Suvarnabhumi airport for domestic flights from Sept 15, if the idea is given the green light as expected. THAI plans to move flights to Phitsanulok, Chiang Mai and Ubon Ratchathani from Don Muang to the new airport in Samut Prakan's Bang Phli district if the idea gets the go-ahead, said THAI executive vice-president Narongsak Sangapong.

The national flag carrier will offer a daily flight to Phitsanulok from Suvarnabhumi, offer three weekly flights to Chiang Mai on Monday, Tuesday and Saturday, and four weekly flights to Ubon Ratchathani on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday.

Is this a new record - for a U-turn ? From all local flights, to some, to just a handful, in just a few days ? :D

But caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said in Khon Kaen, where he attended a mobile cabinet meeting, that the government would try to limit the impact as much as possible.

In which case - why even bother doing this ?

Moving across from the old airport to the new will clearly be challenging and, with the best will in the world, may cause temporary difficulties. These last-minute changes-of-plan, with every politician wishing to grab some of the glory, do not help the professional airport management in their task.

I wish them well. :o

In related news:

Union 'no' to Sept 15 airport move

Thai Airways' labour union issued a statement yesterday opposing the government's plan to move the national flag carrier's domestic flights to the new airport on September 15.

The early relocation, two weeks ahead of the airport's controversial Sept 28 opening, would pose serious problems for connecting passengers as all international flights would remain at Don Muang, it said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/08/10...es_30010758.php

Also:

Pilot takes fright after 'no airport' warning comes up

A PB Air pilot panicked while descending into Suvarnabhumi airport for a test flight on July 29 when a warning signal flashed up saying he was landing on ground where no airport existed. On the same flight, the pilot also observed that a 12-storey building at King Mongkut's Institute of Technology, Lat Krabang campus, with a telecom antenna on top, could present an obstacle for landings and take-offs, particularly for pilots unfamiliar with the area.

These flight problems have emerged from test commercial flights as Bangkok's 125-billion-baht new airport gears up for its full opening on Sept 28.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/10Aug2006_news02.php

TG Union opposes against holding testing of Suvarnbhumi Airport's system

Acting Chief of Thai Airways (THAI) Union Somsak Srinuan (สมศักดิ์ ศรีนวล) has opposed against the testing of Suvarnabhumi Airport’s system on September 15th because it will have an effect on THAI crews and passengers.

He stated that transferring some of the THAI crews to the airport will cause managerial problems as the company has not prepared a special welfare for them. He said that the crews have to bear more financial burdens which are about 400-500 baht per day. He said there is no need for THAI to send some of its crews to stand by at the airport on the testing day.

He said that there are ways to test the system of the airport and if the government wants to check all systems, other airlines should join that test as well. However, the THAI board has not made any decision yet.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 August 2006

On the same flight, the pilot also observed that a 12-storey building at King Mongkut's Institute of Technology, Lat Krabang campus, with a telecom antenna on top, could present an obstacle for landings and take-offs, particularly for pilots unfamiliar with the area.

post-9005-1155196829.jpg

The almost-completed 12-storey building on King Mongkut's Institute of Technology campus at Lat Krabang, which is on the Suvarnabhumi airport landing path, has been spared demolition. The building will be painted in a conspicuous colour, or its rooftop fitted with warning lights, to warn pilots.

Parties concerned will do their best in opening Suvarnabhumi Airport before schedule, says PM

BANGKOK, Aug 10 (TNA) - Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said here Thursday that all parties concerned would do their best when Bangkok's new Suvarnabhumi Airport commercially opens for domestic flights on September 15--two weeks before schedule.

Apparently frustrated when responding to journalists over criticisms on his administration's alleged rush to open the new Suvarnabhumi International Airport before schedule, Mr. Thaksin said: "Thanks for the concerns."

"All parties involved will do the best," he told journalists briefly before flying to Cambodia for a one-day visit to the neighbouring country.

- MCOT

I saw a Shuttle Bus yesterday, it went up Rom Klao and turned left to Minburi. I guess it was going to Don Muang. With the traffic on Ramintra it might take full two hours to reach there, at least an hour if traffic is ok. I don't know why it didn't take the expressways.

Maybe it wasn't its usual route, I saw some staff in uniforms getting of at Sukha 3 intersection.

Mr. Banharn disagrees with the acceleration of the opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport

Chart Thai party leader Banharn Silapa-archa(บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา) disagrees with the opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport on the 15th of September. he said that the new airport's internal system and employees of THAI are not prepared as yet for the opening.

Mr. Banharn referred to the decision of the government to open the new airport in September, adding that he disagrees as all the systems are not yet ready to serve the commercial purpose.

He said the opening of new airport should be postponed to the end of this year as to get all the systems ready and thus would create confidence for both local and international passengers.

He also said the acceleration of such opening is unrelated to the voting campaign as any errors occur would have impact on the popularity of the government.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 August 2006

Mr. Banharn disagrees with the acceleration of the opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport

Chart Thai party leader Banharn Silapa-archa(บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา) disagrees with the opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport on the 15th of September. he said that the new airport's internal system and employees of THAI are not prepared as yet for the opening.

Mr. Banharn referred to the decision of the government to open the new airport in September, adding that he disagrees as all the systems are not yet ready to serve the commercial purpose.

He said the opening of new airport should be postponed to the end of this year as to get all the systems ready and thus would create confidence for both local and international passengers.

He also said the acceleration of such opening is unrelated to the voting campaign as any errors occur would have impact on the popularity of the government.

Now someone with sense is talking!!!! :o

Put airport opening back to New Year: Banharn

Chat Thai Party leader Banharn Silapaarcha called on the governฌment Monday to reconsider its plan to open the new airport by September 28, saying ground transport links were inadequate.

Banharn said the opening date should be pushed back to the end of the year - or early next year.

"The sky will not fall and the land will not subside if Suvarnabhumi Airport does not opened on September 28," he said.

He said the government should not force airlines to hastily move to the new airport before ground transport links and other facilities are properly established.

"Officials of Thai Airways International have complained about difficulties of commuting to work and passengers will have no easy access to the airport because of incomplete train tracks," he said.

The Nation

Well, At least this date is more reasonable.

Edited by Thaising

King Power takes a big bite out of airport retailers

Retailers planning to open outlets at Suvarnabhumi Airport have been forced to adjust their price and product strategies in response to a profit-sharing agreement with franchise-holder King Power.

They will be charged up to 20 per cent of their sales per month by King Power for leases to operate their outlets. As a result, they expect a marked reduction in profits.

This is proving a headache to retailers of affordably priced products that are subject to government price controls, as they cannot raise their prices to compensate as the luxury-brand shops with high profit margins can.

Of the 20 per cent, 5 per cent will go to King Power for management fees and the rest to Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT).

Airport director Somchai Sawasdeepon said King Power had been awarded the right to manage 20,000 square metres of retail space with the guarantee that it pays AOT a minimum of Bt1.341 billion per annum. King Power also has to ensure that items sold in the retail area - which does not include duty-free - are not priced more than 25 per cent above prices quoted outside the airport.

Kannika Chinprasithchai, the marketing manager for Black Canyon (Thailand) Co Ltd, operator of Black Canyon coffee houses and restaurants, said the company had opened three 100-square-metre restaurants at the new airport under different brands, including Black Canyon.

However, she admitted that the operational costs at Suvarna-bhumi outlets were many times higher than in normal stores.

"We are reviewing the product mix and pricing strategy for our Suvarnabhumi outlets to ensure our restaurants survive amid the high-cost structure," said Kannika, adding that all products and packages would be of premium quality in order to justify the higher prices.

"It will be a challenge to develop a menu that will suit foreign travellers visiting outlets at the international terminal and Thai travellers at the domestic terminal."

She said it would be quite difficult to operate Black Canyon restaurants at the new airport, as everything was based on a high-cost structure.

"What we have done is to choose a product mix that meets the requirements of specific consumers at the airport while keeping an eye on our costs and expenses," she said.

"We are interested in this airport project as it is an international project and will help us explore our reputation at an international level. It also advertises our brand to an international audience."

Executives of Jim Thompson, a high-end silk-producer and distributor, said that although the company planned to open a huge shop at Suvarnabhumi, it did not expect to have a big profit margin because its gross sales would have to be shared roughly half and half with the airport franchise-owner.

Despite this problem, Jim Thompson felt the need to trade at the airport in order to gain maximum exposure to tourists. Suvarnabhumi will be able to handle 45 million passengers in its first year of operation.

Arporn Supmonchai, head of marketing at DHC (Thailand) Co Ltd, said the company would open its first Asian airport outlet at Suvarnabhumi. The three-square-metre corner outlet will sell 51 facial and skin-care products in the tax-free area of the domestic terminal.

"The opening of our outlet at Suvarnabhumi goes along with our strategy to expand our customer base through different retail channels," said Arporn, adding that convenience-sized DHC products had been available at premium supermarkets such as Tops, Isetan and UFM Fuji for the past two months.

DHC's latest retail outlet will be officially opened at King Power's duty-free complex in Soi Rangnam on Friday.

"We are generally perceived by consumers as an Asian brand. With our new outlet at Suvarnabhumi, we want to create an image of DHC as an international brand," said Arporn.

DHC's outlet at Suvarnabhumi is expected to generate sales of more than Bt30 million a year.

The Nation