Massimo Cellino disqualified from owning Leeds by Football League

Chicog

Leeds owner Massimo Cellino could be forced to sell the club after the Football League announced the Italian has failed its Owners’ and Directors’ Test.

Cellino successfully appealed against the League’s decision to block his takeover of Leeds in April, but after receiving the detailed evidence from the Italian court that convicted him of tax evasion, the governing body has ruled the 58-year-old is not fit to continue as the club’s president.

The League’s board of directors agreed unanimously at a meeting last week, after finally receiving the Italian judge’s written report on Cellino’s conviction for failing to pay tax on his yacht, that Cellino is “subject to a disqualifying condition under the terms of the Test”.

The League confirmed that Cellino is entitled to appeal.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/01/massimo-cellino-leeds-football-league-disqualified?

The rocky road of the biggest club outside the Prem continues!

Rules are rules so he must go, but I wonder how many of the League's Board of Directors are squeaky clean on their tax returns.

Probably should have been fired anyway for gross incompetence - an Italian getting done for tax evasion? I ask you - how incompetent is that!

Yeah, not sure on all the details but he's claiming ignorance isnt he ? didnt he buy a boat out side the eu and then sailed it bac and then they said he was avoiding was it vat? I do stand to be corrected on that and on following comparison but Sounds like he sorta got hit with what 'death cigs 'tried to wrangle bac in the day, they took it right through the european courts and lost on appeal. i' m thinking these things normally dont they get offered a deal ? Ie pay up and we'll forget about it, if that was the case sounds as though he was badly advised or they were 'after' making an example of him, i' m going for the later, he sounds a bit nutty but not stupid.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

What is this "tax" of which you speak?

In the 90's in the uk u could Mail orderdeath cig's from luxemborg to avoid i thought it would have been vat but wiki reckons it was excise or maybe they're the same. Anyway's the uk tax bods ended up winning its case in the haig i believe, and death had to cough:) up and in the end went broke.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

In your case, stuff you pay when you buy many goods and services in Thailand (and in the UK if you ever visit, unless you reclaim)! [And the tax you pay when you fly most places].

Thailand has a 7% VAT rate on most goods and services except (e.g.) food, health and education. All businesses above small Mom & Pop pay it but of course they recover it through the prices they charge you. 20% in the UK.

Everyone focuses on headline income tax rates - in fact VAT (or sales tax) is a major source of government revenues in those countries that use the system. Most people in the UK effectively pay more VAT than they pay income tax.

xofftopic.gif.pagespeed.ic.ifZtFTWxj3ObHsorry.gif

Edited by SantiSuk

• 2 weeks later...

This is only about the dirty Leeds isn't it? So who cares? w00t.gif

As far as my memory serves me, most teams including Chelsea,Spurs,Arsenal and even West Ham had "hard" players (sorry dirty) in those days of yore when Football was for men not the powderpuffs that play these days.