Bust-up With Language School

Silentwalker

I recently returned to Thailand after having spent a month or so back in my native homeland of Britain. Before I visited my home I had applied for and deposited half the cost of one year at a Thai language school. This was around the figure of 10,000 THB. I had informed them that I was going back home and would contact them about getting my ED visa and starting the course upon my return.

However, I have run into financial issues since being back after falling very sick here and having to pay out huge hospital bills. I then phoned the language school up in order to get my money back and politely explained what had happened. Of course, they refused to negotiate. The excuse was "we have already sent your application to the ministry of education. I'm sorry but we can't refund like you can at a place like Jatujak weekend market". My response was "And how is that a problem? If you really want to be like that you can deduct the amount you paid the MoE for the ED visa and we will go our separate ways".They wouldn't even tell me the price they paid for it. Of course this followed with feeble excuses and then "Hello, I can't hear you? The line is going dead" before they hung up on me.

This has put me into anger mode as my situation is desperate and I NEED the refund. Note that I have not started their course and nor do I actually HAVE the ED visa. I am under the impression nothing has been confirmed by the MoE about my ED visa and the cost is around 2000 THB for the school to apply for one. Can you give me some advice before I phone back up and continue with my demanding and eventually end up walking into their office?

As has been said; unless you negotiated otherwise, you have paid a non-refundable deposit. Your school sounds like it is run by a hard-nosed businessman who recognises a profit when he sees it, and has no moral issue with keeping your money. They have no legal obligation to refund, so I guess you are stuffed.

If it's any use to you, I'm sure that if you pay the other half of your fees, they will provide your visa and teach you as per your initial agreement. (Unless you have already pissed them off).

I wouldn't be too pessimistic.

Wifey wants to do a 2nd masters degree. She looked online, selected the course she wanted, and contacted the university, paid 3000 deposit. A month later the university contacted her and said the course she wanted was not being offered. She asked for a refund. They said (standard reply) no refund policy, sorry. She said, hang on, the course was advertised and YOU have withdrawn it.

A further month later, the university agreed to refund.

It can happen.

Firstly, you need to check confirm what contract says.about refunds.

When you paid deposit, you would have signed some forms.

I have a feeling there is something there about refunds.

If there is no mention then consumer protection board should be your next stop

I wouldn't be too pessimistic.

Wifey wants to do a 2nd masters degree. She looked online, selected the course she wanted, and contacted the university, paid 3000 deposit. A month later the university contacted her and said the course she wanted was not being offered. She asked for a refund. They said (standard reply) no refund policy, sorry. She said, hang on, the course was advertised and YOU have withdrawn it.

A further month later, the university agreed to refund.

It can happen.

Different situation. OP pulled out of the course.

If the deposit was refundable, and you have documentation, then you can contact the Office of Consumer Protection, or whatever it's called. But I'm guessing it was non-refundable. Otherwise, what reason does the company have to even ask for the deposit in the first place?

Does it help my cause that the owner is a Filipino and the school are breaching the latest MoE rules concerning such things as minimum studying hours?

I also still want to know the cost of applying for an ED visa. Can anyone confirm it to be 2000 THB?

You applied for a course and will have to pay. You have no chance to get a refund. They could sue you for the rest of the money.

I'm sure you read the terms and conditions before you enrolled. If it said deposits are non-refundable, why are you now complaining. I have run businesses that involved customers paying non-refundable deposits. When their plans change it's amazing how many have become seriously ill or have suffered a bereavement. Few ever show evidence to support this though. The ones that do are then considered for a partial/full refund, deferment etc.

I'm sure you read the terms and conditions before you enrolled. If it said deposits are non-refundable, why are you now complaining. I have run businesses that involved customers paying non-refundable deposits. When their plans change it's amazing how many have become seriously ill or have suffered a bereavement. Few ever show evidence to support this though. The ones that do are then considered for a partial/full refund, deferment etc.

I can see the link between your comment and your profilename.

• Like 1