Israel PM Benjamin Netanyahu seeks early general election

webfact

Israel PM Benjamin Netanyahu seeks early general election

JERUSALEM: -- Israel's prime minister has sacked his finance and justice ministers and declared he wants parliament dissolved, triggering an early general election.

Benjamin Netanyahu said Yair Lapid and Tzipi Livni had "harshly attacked" both himself and the coalition government.

Mr Netanyahu explained that he wanted an election two years early to win "a clear mandate to lead Israel".

Disagreements over a series of economic and political policies have strained relations within the coalition.

Speaking at a news conference on Tuesday, Mr Netanyahu said it was "impossible" to lead the government with the current coalition, describing Ms Livni and Mr Lapid's activities as a "putsch".

"I will not tolerate an opposition within the government anymore," he said.

"I will not tolerate ministers attacking government policy from within the government, attacking its leader, motivated by political interests, and being irresponsible at a national level."

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30296209

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-12-03

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I will not tolerate ministers attacking government policy from within the government, attacking its leader, motivated by political interests, and being irresponsible at a national level."

smile.png He can take a cue from Thailand I guess?

If there is no opposition within a govt is it a govt? Or a Totalitarian regime?

I mean I see the problem he describes all too clearly even in the US govt

But that there be no questioning no distention just because one feels it is ,motivated by political interests

would have to also cancel his own political interests

I use to have a pal always joke "Give me a Benevolent Dictator Any Day"

Always made me laugh a bit

Edited by mania

smile.png He can take a cue from Thailand I guess?

A Chinese premier, while meeting an Israeli prime minster boasted that he govern and control

1.5 billion people, where the Israel PM said, that's nothing, I govern 6 million prime minsters

in my country... premier,

to show you that Israeli politics are pretty murky affairs and not too many people knows what

is really going on there...

When democrats controlled the presidency, senate and house a few years ago, were they a "totalitarian regime"? rolleyes.gif

No because the other side that did not agree with them were still there & allowed to speak out against actions they did not agree with politically motivated or not. No snap election was called in the hopes of removing them.

The other side will still be there - just like in America - but the PM wants to control his agenda, just like Obama or any other politician does. The Israel-bashers need to learn something about the country they are criticizing, but they might not be so adamant about their criticism if they did.

Edited by Ulysses G.

" I see the current leadership as an impediment to a peaceful settlement with the Palestinians".

I totally agree with you. Netanyahu made it perfectly plain when in opposition that when he is elected PM he will never surrender one metre of Israeli land to the Palestinians. In fact, he has taken more land from the Palestinians than any other Israeli PM. One should never forget that the state of Israel exists simply because of a vote taken in the then League of Nations.

• Like 1

" I see the current leadership as an impediment to a peaceful settlement with the Palestinians".

I totally agree with you. Netanyahu made it perfectly plain when in opposition that when he is elected PM he will never surrender one metre of Israeli land to the Palestinians. In fact, he has taken more land from the Palestinians than any other Israeli PM. One should never forget that the state of Israel exists simply because of a vote taken in the then League of Nations.

Yeah, "God" forbid, Jews of all people, a tiny minority group with origins in the Israel region (so YES an indigenous people of that region, nothing like the "white colonizers" model that virulent anti-Israeli demonizers push) who suffered thousands of years of persecution and genocide in the diaspora should be "allowed" by the world the privilege of FINALLY a nation state with a majority Jewish identity.

The efforts of non-Jews, the very OBSESSIVENESS of it, the so called "anti-Zionism", to suggest that Israel is not as legitimate a nation as other nations or their nations is truly nauseating. bah.gif Face it folks, if Israel wasn't about JEWS, you wouldn't be seeing that. Denials are pointless.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

"bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1LoERDvI-NyM Face it folks, if Israel wasn't about JEWS, you wouldn't be seeing that. Denials are pointless".

Please, don't tell those who may disagree with you what to think or say - arrogance personified. The state of Palastine has as much right to exist as that of Israel, something that really gets under Netanyahu's and his supporters skin. However, it's all academic if the reports of Hamas having perfected (with North Korea's help) a briefcase bomb are correct, lookout Israel your days are numbered. Seems I hit a nerve!

Edited by loongdavid
  • Like 2

"bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1LoERDvI-NyM Face it folks, if Israel wasn't about JEWS, you wouldn't be seeing that. Denials are pointless".

Please, don't tell those who may disagree with you what to think or say - arrogance personified. The state of Palastine has as much right to exist as that of Israel, something that really gets under Netanyahu's and his supporters skin. However, it's all academic if the reports of Hamas having perfected (with North Korea's help) a briefcase bomb are correct, lookout Israel your days are numbered. Seems I hit a nerve!

Sounds like you are cheerleading for Hamas then and the end of Israel.

Sure, Palestinians deserve a state but Arabs and Muslims ALREADY have MANY MANY states.

The obsessiveness of so many to suggest Israel doesn't deserve the ONE is clearly because Israel is the JEW of nations.

Again, denial is pointless.

Anyone with the most basic common sense can see it.

• Like 1

The state of Palastine has as much right to exist as that of Israel

Unfortunately for them, the Palestinians refused their state when offered one, so they have no "right" to anything unless they sign a peace treaty with Israel and negotiate borders as they committed to in the Oslo Accords.

• Like 1

"Anyone with the most basic common sense can see it".

Again, your arrogance is palpable.

"... negotiate borders as they committed to in the Oslo Accords".

And ever since that little Israeli charade Israel has been using force to disposes Palestinians of their land. "Negotiate" for the Palestinians means only one thing for the Palestinians - lose more land.

"If the Palestinians had not declared war on Israel in the first place, they would not have to worry about the Oslo Accords".

Please, check your facts before printing such ludicrous statements. The Palestinians have never declared war, Hamas has.

You really have no clue about any of this. Hamas did not exist in 1948 when the Palestinians and 5 Arab countries declared war on Israel and attacked. Hamas is half of the Palestinian government now and were elected by Palestinians to govern.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

You really have no clue about any of this. Hamas did not exist in 1948 when the Palestinians and 5 Arab countries declared war on Israel and attacked. Hamas is half of the Palestinian government now and were elected by Palestinians to govern.

Once again, the arrogance of the Israeli lobby shines through brightly.

• Like 1

"I'm not Israeli and I have nothing to do with their "lobby". You keep proving that you don't know what you are talking about".

Yet once again, your arrogance is shining through. You must be right and those who disagree with you, wrong. You personify the very essence of Israeli arrogance and intransigence in this matter.

Israeli arrogance.rolleyes.gif I think he's not talking about Arab Israelis. cheesy.gif

If you're looking for Jews you can still push around without consequence, try Norway or France.

Israel was created for a reason.

Thousands of years of Jewish history -- it made sense.

If Israel was the state of some MUSLIM ARAB minority. what percentage of the Israeli demonization set would be at all interested? One? Or zero?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Somehow I find any forum member advocating the use of a nuclear suitcase device on Israel (or any other country for that matter) somewhat disturbing.

Hopefully I misunderstood his intent when he said this...

"However, it's all academic if the reports of Hamas having perfected (with North Korea's help) a briefcase bomb are correct, lookout Israel your days are numbered."

Somehow I find any forum member advocating the use of a nuclear suitcase device on Israel (or any other country for that matter) somewhat disturbing.

Hopefully I misunderstood his intent when he said this...

"However, it's all academic if the reports of Hamas having perfected (with North Korea's help) a briefcase bomb are correct, lookout Israel your days are numbered."

Your footer is very apt and appropriate.

"I'm not Israeli and I have nothing to do with their "lobby". You keep proving that you don't know what you are talking about".

Yet once again, your arrogance is shining through. You must be right and those who disagree with you, wrong. You personify the very essence of Israeli arrogance and intransigence in this matter.

Israeli arrogance.rolleyes.gif I think he's not talking about Arab Israelis. cheesy.gif

If you're looking for Jews you can still push around without consequence, try Norway or France.

Israel was created for a reason.

Thousands of years of Jewish history -- it made sense.

If Israel was the state of some MUSLIM ARAB minority. what percentage of the Israeli demonization set would be at all interested? One? Or zero?

It's incredible just how sensitive the apologists for Israel can be. Not once have I mentioned the word 'jew' and yet when all else fails play the religious discrimination card.

• Like 2

You don't have to mention the word Jews. Obsessive demonization of Israel is always about Jews by definition. Look at the flag, mate. Do you know any OTHER nation with the STAR OF DAVID on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCBINSWCiAE

"This institution is part of the "people" who enslave the whole planet"

Hint -- he's not talking about Southern Baptists.

Edited by Jingthing

You don't have to mention the word Jews. Obsessive demonization of Israel is always about Jews by definition. Look at the flag, mate. Do you know any OTHER nation with the STAR OF DAVID on it?

GOTCHA!....and at last an admission from you that that is really what its all about.

OH! and please, I'm not your mate!

Edited by loongdavid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCBINSWCiAE

"This institution is part of the "people" who enslave the whole planet"

Hint -- he's not talking about Southern Baptists.

Does the name start with an R and end in a D?