Thai Transport gets tough with 'Uber Taxis'

webfact

If Thailand persists the Uber legal team is likely to take them to court and - WIN !

If the law says that you have to be licenced to carry passengers, how exactly can Uber win?

All Uber drivers have licence. Driving licence.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Thailand persists the Uber legal team is likely to take them to court and - WIN !

If the law says that you have to be licenced to carry passengers, how exactly can Uber win?

Not all Uber drivers are licenced to carry paying passengers ... and that is the reason it is effectively banned.

Edited by whybother

Not all Uber drivers are licenced to carry paying passengers ... and that is the reason it is effectively banned.

Uber is effectively banned? That's funny, I just opened my Uber app and there are about four UberX cars and six Uber Black cars within 10 minutes of my location. Guess the ban wasn't very effective, was it?

So are all normal taxi drivers licensed to carry passengers? If so, why does the guy who is driving so often look nothing like the photo on the license that is displayed in the car?

Uber is effectively banned? That's funny, I just opened my Uber app and there are about four UberX cars and six Uber Black cars within 10 minutes of my location. Guess the ban wasn't very effective, was it?

So are all normal taxi drivers licensed to carry passengers? If so, why does the guy who is driving so often look nothing like the photo on the license that is displayed in the car?

Uber is banned for drivers that aren't licenced to carry paying passengers.

If a driver that is not licenced to carry paying passengers gets caught, he will be fined.

The difference between Uber and Grab Taxi is that Grab Taxi only uses licenced taxi drivers. You can sign up to UberX if you are not a licenced taxi driver.

If a driver that is not licenced to carry paying passengers gets caught, he will be fined.

The difference between Uber and Grab Taxi is that Grab Taxi only uses licenced taxi drivers. You can sign up to UberX if you are not a licenced taxi driver.

Well since there are plenty of Ubers out there, then it's not effectively banned, is it? I for one am happy they are still running and we have the choice.

To clarify, GrabTaxi uses regular taxis. Many of which are not licensed, as is evident by the lack of a matching license displayed in the taxi. Anyway, what exactly does having any sort of driving license mean in Thailand?

Instead of trying to shut down UBEr, they should look at why it is growing in populatrity

Maybe they can learn a few things ... like take any fare they want to go ... and so on

I agree, and it might also be a way to undermine the taxi mafia in Phuket since drivers don't need to mark their car as a taxi. They can quietly surp up the market and leave the idiot taxi mafia standing there wondering what happened to all the customers.

Great App for Thailand, they should welcome it in unless they want to put the army down in Phuket to protect metered taxis.

• Like 1

Uber X and Uber Black are not the ones banned. How many Uber Plus are you seeing?

I am not aware that there was ever Uber Plus in Bangkok, so no, I am not seeing any and never have since Uber launched in BKK. The comment was that Uber has been banned, which it has not been.

Well since there are plenty of Ubers out there, then it's not effectively banned, is it? I for one am happy they are still running and we have the choice.

To clarify, GrabTaxi uses regular taxis. Many of which are not licensed, as is evident by the lack of a matching license displayed in the taxi. Anyway, what exactly does having any sort of driving license mean in Thailand?

This is what I mean by being banned.

Uber taxi app declared illegal in Thailand

http://tech.thaivisa.com/uber-taxi-app-thailand/

Uber taxi driver allegedly rapes woman in India

An Uber taxi driver allegedly raped a 25-year-old passenger in the Indian capital before threatening to kill her, police said on Sunday, in a blow to the company's safety-conscious image.

Commissioner Mishra also criticised Uber over the attack, saying early investigations showed GPS had not been installed in the taxi and mandatory police background checks were not conducted on the driver.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/uber-taxi-driver-allegedly-rapes-woman-in-india-20141207-1225sr.html

And maybe you're just a little <deleted>. Gets nervous about everything. Sees the bogie man everywhere. Taxi drives over 70 and you get your knickers in a twist.

Hahaha. Name calling always exposes the idiots. Like I said, when I am travelling alone it doesn't bother me, however all the examples I gave are when I am travelling with my family so of course I want to travel in the safest way possible which is why I would like to pay extra for the safer option. If you love money more than your family and need to save 25B for a ride which may kill them all then that's your choice. Hope it's worth it to you. Be safe out there. smile.png

I just calls em as I sees em.

Just saw a regular BKK taxi with a big UberTaxi sticker on his car. Looked right regular to me, nothing safer. So I guess you are just as likely to get one of these when you order a taxi using Uber.

I believe you get what you pay for, generally. You have switched your amounts a couple times, first it was 25b more then it was 50 percent more, now again you say 25b more, which is it? But the real issue isn't the price, it is your belief you are guaranteed a better car and driver and then your claim that most of the taxis you have been in in Thailand are all run down and unsafe. So keep daydreaming, it seems to make you happy.

And maybe you're just a little <deleted>. Gets nervous about everything. Sees the bogie man everywhere. Taxi drives over 70 and you get your knickers in a twist.

Hahaha. Name calling always exposes the idiots. Like I said, when I am travelling alone it doesn't bother me, however all the examples I gave are when I am travelling with my family so of course I want to travel in the safest way possible which is why I would like to pay extra for the safer option. If you love money more than your family and need to save 25B for a ride which may kill them all then that's your choice. Hope it's worth it to you. Be safe out there. smile.png

Just saw a regular BKK taxi with a big UberTaxi sticker on his car. Looked right regular to me, nothing safer. So I guess you are just as likely to get one of these when you order a taxi using Uber.

I believe you get what you pay for, generally. You have switched your amounts a couple times, first it was 25b more then it was 50 percent more, now again you say 25b more, which is it? But the real issue isn't the price, it is your belief you are guaranteed a better car and driver and then your claim that most of the taxis you have been in in Thailand are all run down and unsafe. So keep daydreaming, it seems to make you happy.

Wrong YET AGAIN. Damn man, 3 for 3. Seems you are the one who lives in a dream world.

As I stated in this thread GrabTaxis are 25B more. GrabCars are about 50% more than a regular taxi. I said I taxi a GrabCar when possible and if not possible then a GrabTaxi.

Are we done with this yet?

• Like 1

There is no such thing as 'UberTaxi". The sticker you saw was probably GrabTaxi, and GrabTaxis are indeed regular taxis, while GrabCars are luxury cars, such as a Camry.

Neither Uber Black or UberX use regular taxis.

• Like 1

There is no such thing as 'UberTaxi". The sticker you saw was probably GrabTaxi, and GrabTaxis are indeed regular taxis, while GrabCars are luxury cars, such as a Camry.

Green sticker if it was GrabTaxi, yellow sticker if it was EasyTaxi as both use regular taxis however the taxis that get accepted by the service are newer, cleaner and safer which is why I use them. As stated previously Bumrungrad hospital now only uses EasyTaxi cars for patients/visitors instead of the usual mafia taxis, I guess there's a good reason behind that, probably for the same reason the rest of us like to take a professional taxi.

• Like 1

What is the difference between UberBlack and UberX?

Uber Black are "luxury" cars. I usually get a Camry, Accord, or Benz. UberX are standard cars, such as an Altis. I have only used Black in the past and they were all commercially licensed green tag cars and every driver I had spoke at least a modicum of English and were very professional and helpful. Driving was always safe and the cars were immaculate.

Uber Black are "luxury" cars. I usually get a Camry, Accord, or Benz. UberX are standard cars, such as an Altis. I have only used Black in the past and they were all commercially licensed green tag cars and every driver I had spoke at least a modicum of English and were very professional and helpful. Driving was always safe and the cars were immaculate.

So UberX drivers would all be unlicensed for paying passengers then?

So UberX drivers would all be unlicensed for paying passengers then?

I don't know. Never used them. As Uber screens drivers, I would assume they have licenses.

I don't know. Never used them. As Uber screens drivers, I would assume they have licenses.

"Neither Uber Black or UberX use regular taxis. " " UberX are standard cars, such as an Altis."

If they aren't regular taxis and they're not green plate taxis, that would suggest that they aren't licenced taxis and therefore aren't licenced to carry paying passengers.

Uber screens to ensure drivers have licences (*) , not whether they are licenced to carry paying passengers. That is why a lot of countries are "banning" Uber (ie fining Uber drivers that aren't licenced to carry paying passengers.)

* but not in all cases, as shown in an earlier post.

So, in other words, über black continues to be in operation, then.

As Bubba said, all of it is still working. I don't think they can actually stop it from being used.

What the LTD have said is that if any drivers that are not licenced to carry passengers are caught with paying passengers they will be fined.

Uber banned in New Delhi as driver is accused of rape

The Delhi city government on Monday banned Uber from operating in the Indian capital after a passenger accused one of its drivers of rape, dealing a fresh blow to the reputation of the online taxi service.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/uber-banned-in-new-delhi-as-driver-is-accused-of-rape-20141208-122vz4.html

Edited by whybother

The Delhi city government on Monday banned Uber from operating in the Indian capital after a passenger accused one of its drivers of rape, dealing a fresh blow to the reputation of the online taxi service.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/uber-banned-in-new-delhi-as-driver-is-accused-of-rape-20141208-122vz4.html

Thanks for posting that twice here, not that it pertains to the discussion of Uber in Thailand. And not that acts of violence against women have never been perpetrated by Bangkok taxi drivers, even in their licensed taxi.

Thanks for posting that twice here, not that it pertains to the discussion of Uber in Thailand. And not that acts of violence against women have never been perpetrated by Bangkok taxi drivers, even in their licensed taxi.

As I said earlier, I didn't post it because of the rape. That can happen in any situation, and the use of Uber probably helped catch the driver.

I posted it the first time because Uber hadn't done proper checks on the driver.

I posted this (different) article because Uber is now banned in New Delhi.

It is relevant to the discussion of Uber in Thailand, because it highlights that just because Uber says it checks all it's drivers, this case shows that it doesn't.

All Über Blacks that I have used have been licensed, green plate commercial vehicles that are owned by limo companies. If we are talking about normal taxis, how many times have you seen the license on the dashboard bears no resemblance to the driver? Go ahead, ask him, and we will say "Oh, that is my Uncle Somchai. He said I could drive today." Do you think that would happen with Uber?

And just how certain are you that insurance cover would be worth anything in Uncle Somchai's taxi? And what about his taxi's condition and safety? Have a look at the tyres sometimes, or a listen to the squeaking, worn out brakes. Seat belts in the back? Maybe 50% of the time.

Uber is fully insured in Bangkok. From their site:

END-TO-END INSURANCE, WE HAVE YOU COVERED

From the moment you get into any Uber product (e.g. uberX, UberBLACK) to the moment you’re dropped off, your ride is covered by commercial liability insurance. That goes for every trip in every city around the world.

Also, maybe ask yourself: your wife needs to take a taxi home at 10 pm. Would you prefer:

1. Uncle Somchai's nephew in a beat up old car who may or may not be sober and of unknown background and trust, or;

2. An Uber Black car, new, insured and in good condition, with a professional driver who has undergone a background check?

No need to answer. My point is that I for one an thankful that I have a choice right now, and I believe you should as well.

I am not saying one way or the other whether Uber is better or worse than other alternatives.

But in all articles that I have read about Uber being banned, it indicates that the issue is insurance. The Uber services that use licenced taxis are not a problem, since they are *licenced* taxis.

The problem is private vehicles. I don't really care what Uber say in their marketing (which is all that "END-TO-END" statement is), if you look further into the website, it only talks about insurance in the US.

I haven't seen anything that indicates that Uber insures drivers/passengers in any other country.

Had you read about three posts you, you might have seen this, quoted from Uber's website:

From the moment you get into any Uber product (e.g. uberX, UberBLACK) to the moment you’re dropped off, your ride is covered by commercial liability insurance. That goes for every trip in every city around the world.

I would assume 'international' means places outside the USA.

I still want to understand how these beat up old normal taxis in Bangkok are better insured than the green plate commercial limos that Uber use. Seriously, if insurance was really the issue, and even if Uber really was sending out uninsured new Camrys and Benzes (which I seriously doubt), is insurance was really the issue, don't you think they would just go out and buy some insurance cover?

You didn't read my post, did you? Try reading this one.

No one is saying the beat up taxis are better. Do you understand that?

The UberBlack taxis ARE insured since they ARE taxis.

The UberX "taxis" are not all insured, since they are often private cars, and private insurance doesn't cover you if you are carrying paying passengers.

The Uber "END-TO-END" insurance statement is marketing. There is nothing on the website giving any detail of insurance except for in the US.

Uber are not "sending out" anything. Uber is a technology company. The "taxis" and passengers use Uber to connect. The problem that the authorities have in many countries is that they have no control of whether these private "taxis" have insurance or not.

Yes, I did read your post, where you said:

I haven't seen anything that indicates that Uber insures drivers/passengers in any other country.

To which I replied:

Just trying to help, as you said you had not seen anything about drivers/passengers in any other country [outside the USA]. And as I said, I was referring to Uber Black. I have no experience with UberX, but that quote from their website states that any Uber product, including UberX, is covered. If you have information to the contrary, as you said that all UberX taxis are not insured, please post as we would all be interested to know.

This is also from Uber

" As always, all UberBLACK, UberSUV, or uberTAXI rides are provided by commercially licensed and insured partners and drivers. Those transportation providers are covered by commercial insurance policies, in accordance with local and state requirements."

If Uber Black are green plate limousines then they will have commercial insurance and I don't see a problem. Standard Uber on the other hand are breaking the law if they are standard plate vehicles and will have no commercial insurance!

Wrong YET AGAIN. Damn man, 3 for 3. Seems you are the one who lives in a dream world.

As I stated in this thread GrabTaxis are 25B more. GrabCars are about 50% more than a regular taxi. I said I taxi a GrabCar when possible and if not possible then a GrabTaxi.

Are we done with this yet?

GrabCars are they green plate limousines or standard black number plates?