Thai Transport gets tough with 'Uber Taxis'

webfact

Uber banned in New Delhi as driver is accused of rape

The Delhi city government on Monday banned Uber from operating in the Indian capital after a passenger accused one of its drivers of rape, dealing a fresh blow to the reputation of the online taxi service.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/uber-banned-in-new-delhi-as-driver-is-accused-of-rape-20141208-122vz4.html

Thanks for posting that twice here, not that it pertains to the discussion of Uber in Thailand. And not that acts of violence against women have never been perpetrated by Bangkok taxi drivers, even in their licensed taxi.

As I said earlier, I didn't post it because of the rape. That can happen in any situation, and the use of Uber probably helped catch the driver.

I posted it the first time because Uber hadn't done proper checks on the driver.

I posted this (different) article because Uber is now banned in New Delhi.

It is relevant to the discussion of Uber in Thailand, because it highlights that just because Uber says it checks all it's drivers, this case shows that it doesn't.

It is a long jump to accuse Uber of not doing background checks because an Uber driver committed rape.

Driver and safety record: clean with no violations

Interview: check

Criminal record: no arrests or convictions

License: yes

Then one driver goes out and commits a rape. What does that prove? I have seen people with high level security clearances go out and commit murder.

At least if you use an Uber car, then the driver has undergone some sort of background check. Conversely, although DLT claimed they would start doing so last month, regular taxi drivers have no background checks, and we routinely see accounts of crimes perpetrated by them, as well as overcharging or not using the meter. Most women I know really hesitate to take a taxi late at night, because so many have experienced scary situations and drivers chatting them up. That includes my wife. And that is one very important reason that she uses Uber Black when she has a late night at work and must return home when I am away and cannot drive over to collect her.

Look, it's obvious that you have an axe to grind with Uber, whether it's about insurance (most of us have our own anyway), license (which many taxi drivers do not have and there is no exam anyway for a Bangkok taxi permit), or a rape in India. I like to think that most of us are adult enough to make a competent decision regarding which service we choose to use, and at least for now, I am thankful that Uber has not been banned in Thailand and we are still allowed freedom of choice, whether it's hailing a taxi on the street, GrabTaxi, EasyTaxi, or Uber. If you are concerned about safety, take the one in which you feel the safest.

• Like 1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a long jump to accuse Uber of not doing background checks because an Uber driver committed rape.

Then one driver goes out and commits a rape. What does that prove? I have seen people with high level security clearances go out and commit murder.

At least if you use an Uber car, then the driver has undergone some sort of background check. Conversely, although DLT claimed they would start doing so last month, regular taxi drivers have no background checks, and we routinely see accounts of crimes perpetrated by them, as well as overcharging or not using the meter. Most women I know really hesitate to take a taxi late at night, because so many have experienced scary situations and drivers chatting them up. That includes my wife. And that is one very important reason that she uses Uber Black when she has a late night at work and must return home when I am away and cannot drive over to collect her.

Look, it's obvious that you have an axe to grind with Uber, whether it's about insurance (most of us have our own anyway), license (which many taxi drivers do not have and there is no exam anyway for a Bangkok taxi permit), or a rape in India. I like to think that most of us are adult enough to make a competent decision regarding which service we choose to use, and at least for now, I am thankful that Uber has not been banned in Thailand and we are still allowed freedom of choice, whether it's hailing a taxi on the street, GrabTaxi, EasyTaxi, or Uber. If you are concerned about safety, take the one in which you feel the safest.

Maybe you should actually read the links that I post.

Commissioner Mishra also criticised Uber over the attack, saying early investigations showed GPS had not been installed in the taxi and mandatory police background checks were not conducted on the driver.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/uber-taxi-driver-allegedly-rapes-woman-in-india-20141207-1225sr.html

Uber banned in New Delhi as driver is accused of rape

The Delhi city government on Monday banned Uber from operating in the Indian capital after a passenger accused one of its drivers of rape, dealing a fresh blow to the reputation of the online taxi service.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/uber-banned-in-new-delhi-as-driver-is-accused-of-rape-20141208-122vz4.html

Thanks for posting that twice here, not that it pertains to the discussion of Uber in Thailand. And not that acts of violence against women have never been perpetrated by Bangkok taxi drivers, even in their licensed taxi.

As I said earlier, I didn't post it because of the rape. That can happen in any situation, and the use of Uber probably helped catch the driver.

I posted it the first time because Uber hadn't done proper checks on the driver.

I posted this (different) article because Uber is now banned in New Delhi.

It is relevant to the discussion of Uber in Thailand, because it highlights that just because Uber says it checks all it's drivers, this case shows that it doesn't.

Uber Black doesn't seem to be a problem as from others postings they use green plate limousines (not private cars with white plate, black letters)

See here for information reference Thai number plates :

http://driving-in-thailand.com/what-are-the-different-types-of-license-plates/

post-195835-14181011233314_thumb.jpg

I bet it wasn't. It probably has the yellow Taxi / passenger vehicle for hire plate.

And a wrong doesn't make a right. We all agree that taxi, van and bus services need a revamp to be safer and more professional. But if that's the case they should work within the law. No?

• Like 1

I bet it wasn't. It probably has the yellow Taxi / passenger vehicle for hire plate.

And a wrong doesn't make a right. We all agree that taxi, van and bus services need a revamp to be safer and more professional. But if that's the case they should work within the law. No?

Yes, because 'working within the law' is what Thailand is all about, right?

Sometimes it takes a better business shaming the establishment, to effectuate changes. That's what Uber is doing wherever it operates.

• Like 1