New to Thailand ... One advice ... what would that be?

David48

dont try to cross sukhumvit road by foot, use the footbridges- i seen a foriegner try to run across askoe/sukhumvit intersection yesterday i stopped wat i was doing and waited for the outcome. Dont ride a motorcycle even if you are a skilled rider, you dont know the traffic. Dont show the soles of your feet or raise your voice in public. Dont start a fight with a thai, i know a songtheaw driver that was a muay thai kickboxer for 30 years before he retired.

Dont bring a ladyboy back to your room, dont fall for a bargirl/massage/karaoke/disco girl freelance pro. And if you do don't send them money when you get back home. Dont do drugs or party with people who do drugs.

Have some respect, enjoy your stay

F-me I wish i'd read this post 16 years ago ...Done all of that except the Lady-boy.whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

One advice for New or recently arrived Members to Thailand ... what would that be?

Don't let all the bitter old dears on Thai Visa talk you into becoming a bitter old dear. You probably came here to enjoy yourself. They won't stop until they've made you as miserable as they are.

millenials-old-lady-e1280417803329.jpg

Thank you. Yes I noticed you boys like to have a little slap at each other. I like watching that but it isn't the main reason we are hare. Did you see that there are 8 dear souls following this thread. And most of us are newbies.

Can you put your little lovers quarrel aside for a minute, and continue?

Apart from having insurance, not eating yellow snow, not getting killed, using the overpass, and not letting little boys into our room (all of which is obvious); what else is there?

And then you can get back to your lovers tiff.

Never underestimate thai men and dont mess with them. There is always a chance that you might get shot or stabbed. Remember there are always few of them near around that can beat farang near death in case of confrontation or argument. Another thing, dont fall for woman since the beginning, spend some time, try to learn two different 2 types of english. One is learnt in the bar or on the street, another one is at school or university. First one is baby english with poor grammar, second one is better but might be with bad accent. What does it say, first type of women were or still are catering for tourist and that is high risk to end up cheated or scammed

Neverdie is always right.

Simple.Easy.System

Egggazackly.

Not everyone is smart enuf to realise that uncle neverdie knows what's best.

Too many personal opinions around this place.

If arseeholze could fly, TVF would be an airport....(present company excluded FW.). ;)

• Like 1

Your two examples seem to be telling us how to deal with you...........nothing to do with Thailand?

Trust but verify was popularised by Ronald Reagan. Ronnie borrowed it from a Russian proverb.

If you really trust, no need to verify. Makes no sense. Sad way to live.

#1 - Excellent advise, "trust but verify"! Life's words to live by.

#2 - As money in Thailand is the boss, know that things can change or be influenced for a price.

#3 - What makes sense usually doesn't happen but the exact opposite.

#4 - As an Expat, we are guests of Thailand. If a decision is required between a farang and a Thai, generally you can expect the Thai's position to be favored.

#5 - Don't get comfortable in your ways as things are now changing, good or not.

#6 - Respect Thailand, it's culture, it's people,...

#7 - Don't judge Thailand, it's people, or their behavior by your countries standards. Thailand is a developing country with challenges as our country have experienced years ago. You will find there are some things better in Thailand, some things the same, and some things not so good as your home country. Accept it and move on!

Before you invest in Thailand properties...visit Vietnam on an extended holiday...foreigners can legally own property there also...

Be aware that many...but not all...Thai women view foreigners as a personal banker...able and willing to support them and their families...

• Like 1

Your two examples seem to be telling us how to deal with you...........nothing to do with Thailand?

Trust but verify was popularised by Ronald Reagan. Ronnie borrowed it from a Russian proverb.

If you really trust, no need to verify. Makes no sense. Sad way to live.

frollywally ... thanks for dropping by.

Like a moth to a flame ... I knew you couldn't resist (but do try harder in the future).

So ... enlighten us with your Pearls of Wisdom.

What advice would you give to newcomers to Thailand?

I'm sure your candle burns bright ... rolleyes.gif

True of most of his posts ... having himself at the center of things.

One advice

Is "advice" now a countable noun? One advice, two advices??

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

True of most of his posts ... having himself at the center of things.

One advice

Is "advice" now a countable noun? One advice, two advices??

Thanks for dropping by ... as usual ... to criticise.

Suradit69 ... can you drag yourself away from Pattaya to give advice to newbies to Thailand?

We all know you are full of it ... whistling.gif

Edited by David48

dont try to cross sukhumvit road by foot, use the footbridges- i seen a foriegner try to run across askoe/sukhumvit intersection yesterday i stopped wat i was doing and waited for the outcome. Dont ride a motorcycle even if you are a skilled rider, you dont know the traffic. Dont show the soles of your feet or raise your voice in public. Dont start a fight with a thai, i know a songtheaw driver that was a muay thai kickboxer for 30 years before he retired.

Dont bring a ladyboy back to your room, dont fall for a bargirl/massage/karaoke/disco girl freelance pro. And if you do don't send them money when you get back home. Dont do drugs or party with people who do drugs.

Have some respect, enjoy your stay

All good advice. I saw a Thai guy cross the road near Asoke where they switch directions at different times of the day. He was lucky the car was going slow. He bounced off the windscreen and over the top. He limped to the sidwalk.

Also cars dont stop for people at Zebra crossings.