Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Laos citizen traveling to Thailand for 2-3 months

As in the subject, and hopefully in the correct forum. My Laos friend from Vientiane who has a Laos passport is planning to visit Thailand, traveling to the north from the northeast. I understand they are ASEAN exempt and can enter for 30 days without a visa, and travel anywhere in Thailand.. correct?

At the 30 days duration can they pop across to Tachilek, Myanmar and back for another 30 days, or say to Huai Xing, Laos from Chiang Khong and back? Or would a Thai visa be needed?

They would get a 30 day visa exempt entry due to a bilateral agreement between the 2 countries their is no ASEAN exempt entry.

They could get one additional entry by doing a border crossing. But a 3rd one might be pushing it.

The Laos people I know in Pattaya, and there are many, continue to do 30 day border runs without any issues. My GF is due one later this week and has a passport nearly full of back to back stamps.

I think that they are more tolerated in doing it than Westerners, because they are low-wage workers giving a direct advantage to a Thai.

While Westerners going for border runs are perceived to be kind of loose dogs not spending much and taking, not giving to Thailand.

Not that I agree or even know for sure, just mention what i think it's happening.