Volvo xc60 or bmw x3

jonnyscot

Thinking (for the second year running) of changing our car, weve had a trouble free 6 years or so from the trusty vigo and wouldnt hesitate to take another toyota, but seems the interior of the vigo or fortuner remains unchanged to any great extent, so time for a change of scenery methinks.

Id be interested to hear any feedback or comparisons regarding either the above motors in diesel version

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys, i am swayed a bit by the free 5 year service and maintenance from the bmw, noted regarding the limited service centres although were only a couple hours drive from bkk which isnt much of an issue for us, unless of course problems arise outwith the regular service checks, from what ive read both seem smooth drives, although interested to hear input from other owners

Thanks

The Nissan X-Trail has just been launched in Thailand and is the newest of the SUV bunch in Thailand. Have you considered it...it gets very good reviews from most testers, has a full safety and tech package, and is about half the cost of the Euro models you are considering. However, between the Geely or BMW, the service package offered with the Beemer is hard to beat.

The Nissan X-Trail has just been launched in Thailand and is the newest of the SUV bunch in Thailand. Have you considered it...it gets very good reviews from most testers, has a full safety and tech package, and is about half the cost of the Euro models you are considering. However, between the Geely or BMW, the service package offered with the Beemer is hard to beat.

Don't think the new X-Trail comes in diesel ?

No idea what the new Volvo under Geely is like, but the old saying about Volvo is its for life, so your never need another new car...

As for the 5 year package, same with the Korean 4x4's + cost a lot less........... Rexton 11. Korando, Kryon, Tucson, Sorento all are diesel engines.

as is another german diesel 4x4 - VW Tiguan costing over 600,000 baht less than the BMW X3, and a bit cheaper than the XC60

between the BMW and the Volvo is the Service Package worth the extra 500+ K on the price ? and for the same price you also have the Land Rover Evoque or the Freelander both diesel

Don't think the new X-Trail comes in diesel ?

No idea what the new Volvo under Geely is like, but the old saying about Volvo is its for life, so your never need another new car...

As for the 5 year package, same with the Korean 4x4's + cost a lot less........... Rexton 11. Korando, Kryon, Tucson, Sorento all are diesel engines.

as is another german diesel 4x4 - VW Tiguan costing over 600,000 baht less than the BMW X3, and a bit cheaper than the XC60

between the BMW and the Volvo is the Service Package worth the extra 500+ K on the price ? and for the same price you also have the Land Rover Evoque or the Freelander both diesel

Some interesting alternatives there, however, they all suffer from the dreaded lack of dealer service network. The X-Trail is available with a diesel in some other Asian markets so Thailand may get it too at some point but you're right, right now only two benzines are offered. If we're including great SUVs with poor dealer networks, I'd also throw the Skoda Yeti into the mix...another great car that's about 1.6M (at one time, they also came with a 3 or 5 year service inclusive package but don't know about now).

If the op can wait a bit, next year will see the new Ford Explorer (mid-year) and Toyo Fortuner (late year).

• Like 1

Unfortunately the mazda is off our list, the wife doesnt like the look of it, took me a while to get her to consider the x3 and the volvo and i do consider her opinion, after all she'll be driving it much more than i will, she would have settled for a fortuner, but as i said earlier in my opinion virtually same interior we've been looking at for the last 6 years, but thanks to ignis l will go do more research on the vw as i do like the look of it, but no idea whether the drive would be as smooth as the x3 or the volvo

Unfortunately the mazda is off our list, the wife doesnt like the look of it, took me a while to get her to consider the x3 and the volvo and i do consider her opinion, after all she'll be driving it much more than i will, she would have settled for a fortuner, but as i said earlier in my opinion virtually same interior we've been looking at for the last 6 years, but thanks to ignis l will go do more research on the vw as i do like the look of it, but no idea whether the drive would be as smooth as the x3 or the volvo

Your wife has a good sense of esthetics when it comes to cars...the Mazda is butt ugly! I'm pretty sure between these three, she would prefer the X3 as there's little face to be gained from driving around in a VW (or Volvo for that matter) in Thailand. That may be good for you as well as BMW has the best inclusive service plan of the bunch.

I see on Beemer's website that they supposedly have a "new" X3 but it looks the same to me. Is there anything new there or just the website not updated in a long while? I also see that the website says they are still offering 6 years of inclusive service on the X3 but again, it this only for "old" stock or is the website out of date?

Have fun choosing...it's a problem many of us would like to have.

Appears the Volvo XC60 here, you also have the 5 year /100,000 KM Service package with roadside assist for 3 years ?

Chrome translated Thai Text :

Additionally, customers are assured of a Volvo in service after the sale, even the free VolvoMaintenance maintenance for 5 years or 100,000 miles Volvo. Warranty : 3-year or 100,000 mile warranty on all routes with ease and professional assistanceVolvo. Assistance is available 24 hours a 3-year comprehensive service ranging from Volvo 24-Hours Roadside Service, Volvo Concierge Service, Volvo Information Service and other details Tel. 0 2305 4499.

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

Not much face to be gained either from driving around in a vigo for the last 6 odd years,,

joking aside, unsure about whats on the bmw website now, but visited a small showing of the bmw at our local robinsons centre last month before i left for work and they were showing the 2.0d x3 highline which was impressive, was even offered a test drive without asking for one which has been a rarity on other car searches, personally i wouldnt take a car without a test drive, can't remember the exact price but they said it was same price that would be on offer at the motor show, im disappointed that im away working and wont be home for the show though

quote name="OMGImInPattaya"

Your wife has a good sense of esthetics when it comes to cars...the Mazda is butt ugly! I'm pretty sure between these three, she would prefer the X3 as there's little face to be gained from driving around in a VW (or Volvo for that matter) in Thailand. That may be good for you as well as BMW has the best inclusive service plan of the bunch.

I see on Beemer's website that they supposedly have a "new" X3 but it looks the same to me. Is there anything new there or just the website not updated in a long while? I also see that the website says they are still offering 6 years of inclusive service on the X3 but again, it this only for "old" stock or is the website out of date?

Not much face to be gained either from driving around in a vigo for the last 6 odd years,,

joking aside, unsure about whats on the bmw website now, but visited a small showing of the bmw at our local robinsons centre last month before i left for work and they were showing the 2.0d x3 highline which was impressive, was even offered a test drive without asking for one which has been a rarity on other car searches, personally i wouldnt take a car without a test drive, can't remember the exact price but they said it was same price that would be on offer at the motor show, im disappointed that im away working and wont be home for the show though

quote name="OMGImInPattaya"

Highline is the top-spec X3 at B 3.7M...ouch!

http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/BMW_Price_List_2014.html

Yes its a bit pricier than the other models, but whichever option we go for we'll be holding onto it for a few years, owned bm,s and volvos back home and have always been pleased with them, thats not to say the same applies here though

Yes its a bit pricier than the other models, but whichever option we go for we'll be holding onto it for a few years, owned bm,s and volvos back home and have always been pleased with them, thats not to say the same applies here though

going for the pricer BMW model brings in another German.. the Audi Q5

Maybe the BMW is the best total package., but the Q5 would be good buy also.

If you are keen on an imported car, maybe have a look at a Lexus RX350/hybrid. Just a thought. But if you are keen on the BMW, I'd buy the X5, not X3. The X3 is kind of small, especially if you drive a pick up now, you will certainly feel that your car is a lot smaller. (a lot less space and you sit considerably lower).

If you are keen on an imported car, maybe have a look at a Lexus RX350/hybrid. Just a thought. But if you are keen on the BMW, I'd buy the X5, not X3. The X3 is kind of small, especially if you drive a pick up now, you will certainly feel that your car is a lot smaller. (a lot less space and you sit considerably lower).

both the X5 and Lexus are between 6 and 7 million baht.. of course its only money, but the Audi Q5 just under 3.8 million is the size of the X5 costing over 6 million..

The X3 is fine for 2 people, the XC60 fine for grown ups in the back, as would be the Q5... and about 1 million cheaper is the Q3 and is about the same size as the X3

both the X5 and Lexus are between 6 and 7 million baht.. of course its only money, but the Audi Q5 just under 3.8 million is the size of the X5 costing over 6 million..

The X3 is fine for 2 people, the XC60 fine for grown ups in the back, as would be the Q5... and about 1 million cheaper is the Q3 and is about the same size as the X3

Lexus Thailand has the new NX300 on offer I believe, with the base model at just under B 3M. In terms of styling, it's comething completely different from the classic lines of the BMW (think of a Transformers SUV) but it is a completely new model and has received very positive reviews.

I just paid the deposit for a new 2015 X3- always wanted to own a bmw, finally been able to make that happen. Definitely for me the name, comfort and quality are higher than the VW. I also bought the self parking option- you press a button and the car parallel parks itself (takes over steering wheel and peddles)- my wife didnt want me to pay extra for it and their options, but boys and their toys etc.

I also heard that the BMW gets twice the miles to the gallon of the fortuner on eco mode.

• Like 1

I just paid the deposit for a new 2015 X3- always wanted to own a bmw, finally been able to make that happen. Definitely for me the name, comfort and quality are higher than the VW. I also bought the self parking option- you press a button and the car parallel parks itself (takes over steering wheel and peddles)- my wife didnt want me to pay extra for it and their options, but boys and their toys etc.

I also heard that the BMW gets twice the miles to the gallon of the fortuner on eco mode.

Congrats on your new ride! What trim level did you get? Did you order it at the auto show, if so, we're their any incentives?

From what I have gathered, the changes to the X3 are mainly cosmetic exterior ones...is that your impression? Is BMW still offering the 3+3 service inclusive on the X3 for 2015 models or only for any remaining 2014s?

For my money, I think the X3 is the best looking SUV in the Thai market. Enjoy your new purchase.

Congrats on your new ride! What trim level did you get? Did you order it at the auto show, if so, we're their any incentives?

From what I have gathered, the changes to the X3 are mainly cosmetic exterior ones...is that your impression? Is BMW still offering the 3+3 service inclusive on the X3 for 2015 models or only for any remaining 2014s?

For my money, I think the X3 is the best looking SUV in the Thai market. Enjoy your new purchase.

see

I got wood trim. Bought it through head office in Bangkok since we are getting it made to order. Yes mainly cosmetic changes except now you have option for two wheel drive which reduces the price. I'm not sure what the 3+3 service is. We are getting the BIS 5 yr free service and spare parts thing.

see

I got wood trim. Bought it through head office in Bangkok since we are getting it made to order. Yes mainly cosmetic changes except now you have option for two wheel drive which reduces the price. I'm not sure what the 3+3 service is. We are getting the BIS 5 yr free service and spare parts thing.

http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/general/finance_service/news_bmw_vehicle/index.html

see

http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/general/finance_service/news_bmw_vehicle/index.html

Nice deal. We have the bis and paying cash so no need loan. Insurance also nice but covered already through company.