Russian pressure to catch pick-up driver responsible for Baht Bus crash in Jomtien

webfact

Russian pressure to catch pick-up driver responsible for Baht Bus crash in Jomtien

crash-23.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Tuesday, the wife of a seriously injured passenger of a Baht Bus, which was involved in a road crash in Jomtien late on Monday Night, visited the Pattaya Police Chief to ensure that everything is being done to catch the man thought to be responsible, who fled the scene of the crash.

Mrs. Elena Naydina aged 27 was joined by a Russian interpreter and a Russian Cameraman, and confronted the Pattaya Police Chief, Police Colonel Supatee, to see what was being done to catch the driver of a pick-up truck which rear-ended a Baht Bus containing 10 Russians, two of which were seriously hurt.

Mrs. Naydina told the Colonel that her Husband Mr. Mikhail Kuznetsov of the same age, suffered a severe leg injury and has had a number of operations so far. Their combined medical bill is currently over 450,000 Baht. She has already paid 300,000 Baht and the Hospital are asking for a further payment which she is unable to make.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/157620/russian-pressure-to-catch-pick-up-driver-responsible-for-baht-bus-crash-in-jomtien/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-12-04

• Like 1

The full article says they have given her 10,000 baht from this tourist fund...a drop in the bucket. If she thinks catching the driver is going to give her any relief or closure I believe she will be sadly disappointed. No matter what the courts say they will never squeeze any money out of a Thai citizen unless he is rich. It's very doubtful this man has any insurance or money. The injured man must have obviously been taken to an expensive private hospital.

Edited by oneday
  • Like 2

From the earlier Crash description it sounded like the accident happened right beside the Police Box in front of the Village. All too often you see drivers on the wrong side of the road, trying to make the lights whilst they are green (or amber….or red). You see so many near misses there when cars turn left off of the Sukhumvit, to head towards Jomtien Beach whilst vehicles are driving full pelt on the right hand side of the road. I still struggle to get my head round the lack of respect and the attitude that their journey is more important than yours. Even Police seem to do it, so how can they enforce it.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

From the earlier Crash description it sounded like the accident happened right beside the Police Box in front of the Village. All too often you see drivers on the wrong side of the road, trying to make the lights whilst they are green (or amber….or red). You see so many near misses there when cars turn left off of the Sukhumvit, to head towards Jomtien Beach whilst vehicles are driving full pelt on the right hand side of the road. I still struggle to get my head round the lack of respect and the attitude that their journey is more important than yours. Even Police seem to do it, so how can they enforce it.

Even!!!! Particularly

• Like 1

The baht bus drivers are no saints either. Using that left turn lane there and then just going straight across the light. Then stopping in the lane and blocking traffic while passengers get on/off. It's always been a disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 1

The full article says they have given her 10,000 baht from this tourist fund...a drop in the bucket. If she thinks catching the driver is going to give her any relief or closure I believe she will be sadly disappointed. No matter what the courts say they will never squeeze any money out of a Thai citizen unless he is rich. It's very doubtful this man has any insurance or money. The injured man must have obviously been taken to an expensive private hospital.

Monday night to Thursday morning 3 days 450000 that's 150000 baht a day even expensive for bumrungrad in bangkok to be, not believable somebody scamming here

I don't know what she thinks.

I don't know if she is sadly disappointed.

I don't know what the Thai courts can do since it hasn't entered that phase.

I don't know if the suspect has insurance or money.

I don't know if the injured man was taken to an expensive, private hospital.

If anyone knows the answers based on fact, please share it. Otherwise, I am as clueless about these issues as anyone else.

• Like 2

Hold on Mrs. Elena Naydina. I have some questions for you?

Do you ride on the back of taxis in Russia? No! So why do you do it here?

Did you come to Thailand without any travel insurance? Obviously because you are now complaining you have no money for medical bills.

Who do you think you are taking a cameraman to interview a Police Chief?

Even if they find the baht bus driver nothing will happen to him. The driver wont have a pot to piss in and you wont get 1 satang out of him.

I know from experince that if a Thai injures a foreigner nothing will happen to them. A friend of mine got knocked off my motorbike and got dragged down the road by a Thai drunk driver. At the police station the Thai drunk driver got fined 500 baht. My bike had to be rebuilt through the insurance and my friend was left black and blue with cuts all over hIm.

• Like 2

"It's very doubtful this man has any insurance or money."

On the other hand it is just as likely that he had car insurance which in theory could compensate the victim and pay his medical bills.

Monday night to Thursday morning 3 days 450000 that's 150000 baht a day even expensive for bumrungrad in bangkok to be, not believable somebody scamming here

Surgery isn't free nor is it included in hospital room rates.

• Like 2

I don't see why they should have to pay anything. The guy responsible should pay and the Thai government should also take some responsibility for damages caused by a Thai person.

This is going to be another disaster....

I hope the Russian guy recovers quickly so he can get out of here alive.

Back home, fleeing the scene of an accident gets you into even more trouble. Should have the same law here. I hope they catch the driver and this lady gets the financial help she needs.

However in Thailand legging it is the norm. Car drivers, pick up drivers, bus drivers, truck drivers and even train drivers bolt as soon as something untoward happens. The only ones who seem unable to do this are airline pilots. So if your ever driving past swampy and see a man in a peaked cap climbing the security fence have a look round for a smouldering plane.

They're not allowed to. The instructions are to only leave the scene if there isn't enough paint.

• Like 2

Back home, fleeing the scene of an accident gets you into even more trouble. Should have the same law here. I hope they catch the driver and this lady gets the financial help she needs.

There is already a law here regarding this type of action. Like the helmet and others not enforced! and if enforced a basic slap on the hand and off they go. Plus majority of Thais do not have insurance or updated licenses and if you do catch them how do you collect when they have nothing?

Get him out of the Private hospital and into a Government hospital if they want to save money

And my nomination for stupid comment of the day goes to the above. It seems his leg injuries are serious. Many operations already. . Where would we have us send you.

i was knocked off my motor bike by a driver of a pick up truck who just came out of a side lane in open view, i suffered a dislocated shoulder, dislocated fingers,cuts and bruises and the bike was a right off,when interviewed at the police station he said i saw him but i thought he was farther away, it cost me over 25,000 bht hospital bills i lost 3 weeks money from school, and he was laughing and joking with the BIB at the police station. Lucky i have krungthai bank hospital insurance, but nothing awarded for loss of earnings or compensation for pain and suffering. They don't care don't give a shit about the highway code and road rules, They are the most stupid and dangerous peoole who i have ever had the displeasure to be on the road with. Red lights mean nothing one way streets mean nothing pedestrian crossings mean nothing railway level crossings mean nothing IN FACT LIFE MEANS NOTHING TO THESE ROAD MANIACS

• Like 1

Hold on Mrs. Elena Naydina. I have some questions for you?

Do you ride on the back of taxis in Russia? No! So why do you do it here?

Did you come to Thailand without any travel insurance? Obviously because you are now complaining you have no money for medical bills.

Who do you think you are taking a cameraman to interview a Police Chief?

Even if they find the baht bus driver nothing will happen to him. The driver wont have a pot to piss in and you wont get 1 satang out of him.

I know from experince that if a Thai injures a foreigner nothing will happen to them. A friend of mine got knocked off my motorbike and got dragged down the road by a Thai drunk driver. At the police station the Thai drunk driver got fined 500 baht. My bike had to be rebuilt through the insurance and my friend was left black and blue with cuts all over hIm.

"Who do you think you are..." What?

Who do you think you are reprimanding and interrogating the victims wife?

Why should the police officer not be photographed? He's only a public servant.

... and, why ask the wife a question, and then promptly make assumptions and answer it yourself ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i was knocked off my motor bike by a driver of a pick up truck who just came out of a side lane in open view, i suffered a dislocated shoulder, dislocated fingers,cuts and bruises and the bike was a right off,when interviewed at the police station he said i saw him but i thought he was farther away, it cost me over 25,000 bht hospital bills i lost 3 weeks money from school, and he was laughing and joking with the BIB at the police station. Lucky i have krungthai bank hospital insurance, but nothing awarded for loss of earnings or compensation for pain and suffering. They don't care don't give a shit about the highway code and road rules, They are the most stupid and dangerous peoole who i have ever had the displeasure to be on the road with. Red lights mean nothing one way streets mean nothing pedestrian crossings mean nothing railway level crossings mean nothing IN FACT LIFE MEANS NOTHING TO THESE ROAD MANIACS

Very well expressed.

You are 100% correct.