What Are His Chances?

RustBucket

Came across an interesting post put up on a 'public' Thai expat facebook page today.

I won't give the guy's name on here, even though he has taken the choice to make this public, I don't see any value in having his details posted here.

Basically, this is what was posted and offered up for comment.

OK just a quick post today 4 Dec I go to court, this is to try and get some of my money back off the ex GF, she has my house and car and all personal belongings, which she refuses to give back. It starts at 0900 but the case will be at 1000/1030. Anyone else having the same problem and think that the Thai will win the case all the time, then come along and watch. My lawyer is English, his office is in Pattaya.

Personally I think this is a classic example of trusting everything into the girlfriend's name and the courts will rule against him. I doubt his English lawyer will be anything other than a square peg in a round hole in a Thai courtroom.

So what do you think his chances are?

• Like 2

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not enough info.

If this is in Thailand and he is already divorced,then it is a done deal. When I divorced my first wife,the authority at the amphur ask me before he gave the divorce if there was anything we bought together since the marriage. He wanted to know show it could be divided equally. So if this guy is divorced I think it is way to late.

Well its 2pm so hes either out celebrating or too embarrassed to admit defeat on fbook?

Do judges in Thailand make a verdict on the spot?

No it will take the court 2-6 years to come up with a verdict. But maybe he's been in and out of court in 2-6 years already.

Not enough info.

If this is in Thailand and he is already divorced,then it is a done deal. When I divorced my first wife,the authority at the amphur ask me before he gave the divorce if there was anything we bought together since the marriage. He wanted to know show it could be divided equally. So if this guy is divorced I think it is way to late.

Not enough info?

The post stated clearly that it is his 'ex-gf'.

No wife, so divorce etc.

• Like 1

He's got more chance of getting a pork chop in to a Mosque. I had to pay my ex wife so I could keep my motorbikes. When married everything is split 50/50 in a divorce. Boyfriend and girlfriend and everything in her name means everything is hers.

• Like 1

Well its 2pm so hes either out celebrating or too embarrassed to admit defeat on fbook?

Do judges in Thailand make a verdict on the spot?

No it will take the court 2-6 years to come up with a verdict. But maybe he's been in and out of court in 2-6 years already.

That's about similar as to court handling's in the Western world then. Thanks for answering my questions.

sadly, if her name are on the deeds and the logbook....its HER house and HER car.....and now he's wasting money on lawyers. I hope the judge sees fit to force to give something back, out of a sense of simple fair play, but to the letter of the law, ID suggest there's no chance, no hope and no money :-(...........

Did he has evidence to buy things for her or bank transfer to her account? Could get things back at lease half. How about her back ground and his back ground. Court will see which person can afford to buy car and house?.

In Thailand its difficult for farang to go to Thai court but at lease he can get half money back.

Good luck.

• Like 1

sadly, if her name are on the deeds and the logbook....its HER house and HER car.....and now he's wasting money on lawyers. I hope the judge sees fit to force to give something back, out of a sense of simple fair play, but to the letter of the law, ID suggest there's no chance, no hope and no money :-(...........

This also is not true.

Irrespective of whose name the property is registered in, if another party can prove that the property was purchased with assets belonging to them, then the courts will rule that the property belongs to that person.

Consider for example, an epileptic who can not get a driver's license which was a pre-requisite for purchase of a car. The eplieptic gives money to a third party to purchase the car for them, and the third party registers the car in the third party's name.

Of course once the courts see proof that it was really the epileptic who paid for the car, the courts will rule that the car belongs to the epilepetic, not the third party in whose name the vehicle is registered.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

Not a single person who responded to this thread knows what they are talking about.

The fact is that under Thai law if either party to the relationship can prove that the assets used to purchase the property during the relationship were owned by that party prior to the relationship, the courts will rule that the property belongs to that party. This is irrespective of whether the parties were married, living together as boyfriend/girlfriend.

I have been through a similar property dispute here in Thailand. Thailand's courts are as reputable as those in Western countries.

A bit hard saying no one on here knows what they are talking about. And no where did anyone say they were not reputable

However, as you point out, ' the fact is that under Thai law if either party to the relationship can prove that the assets used to purchase the property during the relationship were owned by that party prior to the relationship, the courts will rule that the property belongs to that party '

Can you explain how this can be proved, and if it can be proved, upheld IF (and the posters are assuming this) the car and house particularly are in her name. Id suggest if they were in his name, he'd simply have thrown her out of the house (or had the police do it) and jusr driven off in his car.

Well done to you for fighting and winning, you are most definitely in the minority in such cases as so many other I'm sure would testify.