Koh Tao: Thai court charges pair over murders of British backpackers

webfact

How the <deleted> can you charge someone with double murder, and "forget" to bring the accused to the court on time!!

Welcome to the Thai lottery of justice!! Where your changes of winning improves significantly, if you can afford to buy all the tickets!!

Meanwhile the Red Bull kid is sniffing his cocaine in Singapore!!

They didn't forget to bring the accused, the indictment was brought forward by 3 hours, for till now unknown reasons.

Maybe everyone wanted to go home early 'cause of the birthday celebration tomorrow?

• Like 1

BBC correspondent tweeted that 'there was no explanation given why the court failed to bring the suspects to hear the charges and plead their case'. Come monday (8th of Dec.) at 9 am, the B2's plead hearing will commence.

Today is last day before long holiday weekend... Perhaps by some at the courthouse , the main focus is on clearing the docket asap to start the weekend?

After all, some may see that the proceedings that take place today to just be a technicality... As just read charges... And all are aware of the charges

Actual business starts on Mon

Edited by CWMcMurray

How the <deleted> can you charge someone with double murder, and "forget" to bring the accused to the court on time!!

Welcome to the Thai lottery of justice!! Where your changes of winning improves significantly, if you can afford to buy all the tickets!!

They didn't forget to bring the accused, the indictment was brought forward by 3 hours, for till now unknown reasons.

For crying out loud!! It is a 5 minute drive from the prison to the courthouse!!

This case stinks more and more by the minute!!

• Like 2

I'm not surprised to hear that they weren't present for the hearing ... after all this is a done deal; as far as the Thai police and judicial system is concerned they are already guilty.

I've witnessed some farces in my time but the Thais take the biscuit when it comes to incompetence, cover-ups and outright corruption. I for one am glad I left and that my money no long supports such a vile country.

" I for one am glad I left and that my money no long supports such a vile country."

Couldn't have been that much money that you had supporting Thailand, it seemed to do ok after you left.

For crying out loud!! It is a 5 minute drive from the prison to the courthouse!!

This case stinks more and more by the minute!!

Hey boys ( warder shouting to 2 Burmese boys hobbling around the premises) the indictment is brought forward by 3 hours.

Ok boss, we'll better shoot on our pants and run off to the court then.

Is this how it works in other jails all over the world?

They think rest of world is blind enough or forget it, or not to bother about this. It is time for Human rights to heat up the authorities for transparency. They took the timings that, Thais are traveling for long weekend holidays, and no time for court to have proper hearing,etc. I would not be surprised if these poor guys were hanged on Sunday itself to close the case. I am not sure what British Embassy doing here and other International Human rights authorities are doing ? Do they have guts to check the details of accusation and recheck the claims. Where is the British authorities report , who visited the site ? It sounds like hands-in-hands hide, and throw away the case. If it happened to an Australian couple, things would be different. They care their people and justice better.

What happened to the request for the murdered pair's friends come forward to the testimony ? Will they come ? At least should show courage enough to submit some statement to the British authorities in UK itself to save the lives already.

This sounds like similar to Saddam Hussein trial case in Iraq, hearing one day and next day his throat was muted by hangman.

Edited by NextStationBangkok
  • Like 2

BBC correspondent tweeted that 'there was no explanation given why the court failed to bring the suspects to hear the charges and plead their case'. Come monday (8th of Dec.) at 9 am, the B2's plead hearing will commence.

Today is last day before long holiday weekend... Perhaps by some at the courthouse , the main focus is on clearing the docket asap to start the weekend?

Sure seems that way - well to think of it, it kinda suits the handling of this case as a whole. Why are we even surprised at these turns of events anymore whistling.gif

• Like 1

What happened with the UK Police that were allowed to come here? did anything happen there? what was their findings?

With my vague knowledge of UK law, I believe that there will be an inquest in a UK Court... where I am sure the UK police who came to Thailand will give evidence. Could be interesting.

• Like 1

I can't believe that they are actually going through with this. These two poor young lads will be found guilty just so the Thai Govt. can save a bit of face.

Come on the U.N, time to step in now.

Farcical..!!

"These two poor young lads..."

What is farcical is the way so many posters continue to refer to these accused men as boys, young lads etc. What is the matter with you all, there are no adolescents involved in this case.

• Like 1

Posts containing frivolous remarks, abuse, flame removed. Next such abusive posts towards other members or discussing political figures will be deleted with no further notice & posters issued suspensions.

This could easily give the Thais another year of "breathing space". Criminal trials last a long time here.

I wonder if the sudden change of time of the indictment was to fox in some way, defence lawyers and/or possibly the media. If the defendants don't come to court they cannot converse with the media and make appeals for witnesses.

• Like 2

Here is what the Guardian wrote 6 minutes ago:

Thawatchai Saengjaew, chief of the Public Prosecution’s Region 8 Office, told the Bangkok Post that authorities would indict Zaw Lin, 21, on five counts – the murder of Miller, the rape and murder of Witheridge, illegal entry into Thailand and staying in the country without permission. Win Zaw Htun, 21, faces the same charges and an additional count of stealing a mobile phone and sunglasses from Miller.

• Like 2

It is inconceivable that the "script" has not already been written for this trial. I am convinced we will get to hear of a lot of evidence simply not admitted by the court. The outcome has been decided in advance.

Edited by Briggsy

So will the public see the evidence that has brought the verdict? The british were happy with the investigation? This is a failing of justice and a failing in the rule of law and a further decline of humanity.

Justice

Rule of law

Humanity

Not part of Thai vocabulary.