Koh Tao: Thai court charges pair over murders of British backpackers

webfact

Here is what the Guardian wrote 6 minutes ago:

Thawatchai Saengjaew, chief of the Public Prosecution’s Region 8 Office, told the Bangkok Post that authorities would indict Zaw Lin, 21, on five counts – the murder of Miller, the rape and murder of Witheridge, illegal entry into Thailand and staying in the country without permission. Win Zaw Htun, 21, faces the same charges and an additional count of stealing a mobile phone and sunglasses from Miller.

First the mobile phone saga, now the sunglasses? Wow! Didn't hear about that one before! Makes sense to carry your sunglasses with you at night, does it? Any pictures of David carrying his sunglasses around that night? Is this the missing piece of crucial evidence that couldn't be disclosed to the public? This whole case is beyond evil.......

Edited by Krenjai
  • Like 1

If the accused are found guilty and the British report is made public and shows a miscarriage of justice, Thailand's reputation will become even lower to the international community.

Can Thailand afford that to happen.?

Big changes are afoot in this country,

Thailand needs international support, otherwise it's future is bleak.

Disgusting, but I am sure a "deal" has been done already.

A few days in court, then the trial stopped on a technicality. Burmese released and the RTP publicly announce that they feel the Burmese did it, hence no new investigation.

Everyone happy, no loss of face, especially Mr Head man and his mob.

A tragedy and a waste of two young lives.

Thailand...I hope karma comes back and hammers you, and to the real perpetrators of that evil island, your time will come.....

The judge must certainly know what the situation and background is and lot of this will depend on whether he is an honest judge or just part of the corrupt system as he looks at the evidence. Getting the trial thrown out would be a fantastic first step in this case so perhaps there is some hope for the two Burmese.

Edited by BoristheBlade
  • Like 1

"The indictment was unexpectedly brought forward by three hours, meaning the suspects did not have time to be brought from prison to hear the charges,"

What?

The defendants have not heard the accusation?

A technical trial error?

Just one more in a long line.

According to http://www.thailandtoday.in.th/

"Modern Thailand is building a democracy that is based on good governance, the rule of law, human rights, transparency, and accountability, and one that would lead to sustainable development."

Looks like due to all the f---ups all along with the investigation, the court will have no alternative, based on good governance, the rule of law, human rights, transparency, and accountability, to throw the case out or find them innocent. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Disgusting, but I am sure a "deal" has been done already.

A few days in court, then the trial stopped on a technicality. Burmese released and the RTP publicly announce that they feel the Burmese did it, hence no new investigation.

Everyone happy, no loss of face, especially Mr Head man and his mob.

A tragedy and a waste of two young lives.

Thailand...I hope karma comes back and hammers you, and to the real perpetrators of that evil island, your time will come.....

The judge must certainly know what the situation and background is and lot of this will depend on whether he is an honest judge or just part of the corrupt system as he looks at the evidence. Getting the trial thrown out would be a fantastic first step in this case so perhaps there is some hope for the two Burmese.

Agree with your comments, but what do you think? Is it safe to assume the judge that will handle this process has been carefully chosen same a la Nomsod DNA test?

The ongoing saga continues.

I'm not sure what the right outcome should be, but I'm concerned about what seems to be a cover-up after cover-up.

I just hope the judge is fair and takes EVERYTHING into consideration.

I for one hope that the judge is fair, but somehow I don't think that that will happen, there is no end to where the corruption stops in this country.

Why anyone would want to live in a country with the disgusting and corrupt systems they have, is beyond belief. Seems the expats that live there will put up with anything.

Due in many cases to myopic thinking linked to love/children or financial exile.

"The indictment was unexpectedly brought forward by three hours, meaning the suspects did not have time to be brought from prison to hear the charges,"

What?

A technical trial error?

Just one more in a long line.

According to http://www.thailandtoday.in.th/

"Modern Thailand is building a democracy that is based on good governance, the rule of law, human rights, transparency, and accountability, and one that would lead to sustainable development."

Looks like due to all the f---ups all along with the investigation, the court will have no alternative, based on good governance, the rule of law, human rights, transparency, and accountability, to throw the case out or find them innocent. coffee1.gif

TIT... You really believe the Thai authorities are based upon good governance...... rule of law (in whose back garden), human rights, transparency (in whose back garden) etc., to really care about Western attitudes towards this case.

The case will not be thrown out now, nor will the innocents be proven guilty......... money has proven them gulity, and that is the be all and end all of this disgusting case.

What happened with the UK Police that were allowed to come here? did anything happen there? what was their findings?

With my vague knowledge of UK law, I believe that there will be an inquest in a UK Court... where I am sure the UK police who came to Thailand will give evidence. Could be interesting.

Well. If the UK police have facts or even think that this case stinks as much as many people on this forum believe, they should act now. Or at least in time to make sure justice is done to these B2. I personally do not know when that is. But how much longer will innocents have to be in jail (sleeping on the ground) for UK bureaucracy?

If the UK police does not help them, what did they come here for? To have a nice vacation?

And where are all these (forum)people that promised us that the UK police would be able to help? And would "immediately" show that this whole case was a farce? I am quite disappointed in the UK approach of this case.

• Like 1

In all our outrage here, let us not forget the families of Hannah and David.

First their loved ones are brutally murdered, and now they have to follow the incompetence and outright lies from the RTP.

Hope they have the strength to find closure within themselves!!

Would you find closure in the knowledge that the brutal bastards that murdered your kids walk free, because of financial payments to policemen who have no idea about how to operate, but live purely for gain and personal wealth?

I think not.

I hope they have the strength to get to the very bottom of the truth, before these 2 youngsters are executed in time for a special Birthday.

• Like 1

Strange turn for things to take. But it's quite possible that the reading of the charges is simply seen as a formality. In other places, this would be the time at which the defendants would formally enter their pleas (though I think that sometimes, for certain charges, the pleas will automatically be entered as 'not guilty'). Anyway, the important stuff happens when both sides present their cases, which apparently is what will happen on Monday.

Here's a description of the Thai legal process [sorry if posted previously]: http://www.prisonersabroad.org.uk/uploads/documents/countries/Thailand_Legal_system.pdf

Trials are normally held in open court and the accused is presumed innocent until
proven guilty. The trial will be conducted before a panel of judges rather than a jury
(there is no jury system under Thai law). All proceedings will be in Thai.--excerpt from link you posted
I hope the international press is allowed to be there to film and write.
Thank you for your post. It was informative.
  • Like 1

What?

A technical trial error?

No error......this is Thailand.

Orders came from above to speed it up.

As said before the outcome has been decided already.

Technical trial error would be the last of their worries.

What the media will say outside Thailand should worry them a bit.

JUST LOOK AT IT THIS WAY,.....

What?

A technical trial error?

No error......this is Thailand.

Orders came from above to speed it up.

As said before the outcome has been decided already.

Technical trial error would be the last of their worries.

What the media will say outside Thailand should worry them a bit.

JUST LOOK AT IT THIS WAY,.....They are creating a Technical error just to facilitate the defence......to get a mistrial on Technicality...and they all save face.....

so they don't have to produce the fake evidence....and witnesses....!!!!!

This is Thailand, you said it....face is the most important...!!!

And we all agree, they will suffer a severe loss of face if the trial goes on.....and the world would see how people can be send to death with false evidence....presented by a incompetent police force ...and I am not saying the whole police force is incompetent, but he ones on Koh Tao are for sure....

Edited by off road pat
  • Like 1