Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats

webfact

Because of this ongoing harassment maybe it would be a good idea to have a sticky thread for people to post numbers of embassies, numbers of lawyers that have a record of being helpful and any concrete advice for people stopped, such as who to call, what to do and what not to do, what has worked in scaring the "police" off etc. it would be good to know what exactly the police are genuinely allowed to do, and even a few sentences in thai to say if anyone is ever caught up in this kind of situation. I am assuming this information would be of use to all genuinely law abiding expats, anyone who has indeed done something illegal will be on their own.

The thread shouldn't be a discussion forum, just a source of useful information and advice.

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange how the never search the Chinese. If they want tea money let them go and search the Africans in soi 5 Nana.

That would be a good Idea..... in theory...but......that is down the road and in a jurisdiction controlled by a different group of police officers while practicing police mans decorum that says: "You stay out of our turf" type of mentality ..." and we will stay out of your turf" type of mentality.....as in.... we know where our sources of money comes from while you have to create your own sources of income in your area....as in ......We shake down the Blacks and Arabs in the Nana area and usually leave the white folks alone, while you guys shake down the various enterprises in your area and try to shake down the foreigners in your area..... if you want.........as it does not bother us, what your doing, as long as it does not spill over into our area and somehow effects us and or exposes our activities.....like you know what I mean...brother.

Cheers

So where exactly are these borders between police stations?

You could say they start and end where the police boxes are located as that is their home base and their turf area,,,for the officers on the street....while that includes a district police station designated long ago for that area...that you may never have passed by or are not aware of its location...buy those points of jurisdiction are there whether they be obvious or invisible to the uninitiated ...but the boundaries are there.

Other than that, they actually do have a mapped out area that all higher ranking officers are well aware of while they know well that what goes on in the Asoke area verses the Nana area involves a chain of command that have certain officers cooperating with those in charge of other areas verses another area.

That is not how it is planned, as such, specifically for the illegal money making activities rather every large city in the world is divided up into districts and jurisdictions where police officers understand their areas of police enforcement regardless of the corrupt aspects of their police activities that naturally develop on their own.

You can imagine that any area that has turned into a lucrative money making area, for what ever reason or however the cash flow evolved, then those areas would be focused on by the police officials assigned to that jurisdiction while the chain of command evolves while other officers are aware of who it is they have to deal with if they come into those areas on other police matters....

They know .......or they learn quick enough how it works and that includes not pulling off any bribery and extortion and or fining the people in an area that is not their jurisdiction.

I recall reading in the news papers , 20 years back how other sectors of the police and government agencies attempt to make surprise raids on suspected drug dealing areas or gambling operations in known areas or a number of deemed to be illegal activities that comes to the attentions of the other government or law enforcement sectors.

They show up, surprise, surprise and no one is there and no illegal activities are being conducted and no one of any importance to be apprehended and no one living in the areas knows anything.

It shows how tight knit the police operations can be while successfully keeping their lucrative money making operations from being shut down by other sectors of the law enforcement or government agencies.

Some times they will sacrifice a operation or 2 just to look good for the press and look like they are serious about cracking down on these deemed to be illegal activities....but between the officers ......they try to shield those lucrative money making enterprises from being exposed and shut down....as that would be like shooting themselves in the foot.....if they actual shut them down.

For example the Petchaburi Road area, with all the massage parlous, would be considered one the most lucrative areas to be in command of.

If a police officer or other officers ,from a distant jurisdiction show up and try to shake down various enterprises and start finding infractions of the law and, and....... fines to be paid by the owners of those establishment while those business owners know well that theses guys are not the usual guys they see coming around.

A few phone calls are made and then there is flurry of activity going on trying to identify the 2 officers that showed and learn exactly what happened and I would surmise 99 times out of a 100 they will find out who it was that came into their turf and tried to do what they have already established long ago to create their sources of income from the areas they are in command of.

It is organized crime at its finest...in the guise of law enforcement.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

of little interest to the ignorant fools that have gone native and live in the booonies of nakon nowhere ...BUT lets not forget that many Genuine tourists transit thro bkk for a few days and they fear this kind of abuse by any law enforcement as this is the natorious far east and being forced to sign any bull that is made up on that day of a little pill slipped into your shirt pocket can DESTROY your life/////..but hey thailand is perfect isnt it fools

Do you know me or any other farang living in rural Thailand?

Thank you very much for calling me ignorant and a fool just because I live in rural Thailand.

It merely highlights your ignorance and stupidity.

I assume from your arrogant tone that you live in Bangkok and thus consider yourself a superior foreign person.

Most of us are quite content and happy with our lives and your post confirms that we did the right thing.

Whilst life in Thailand isn't perfect out here it is pretty good and there are very few numpties like you living out here.

May I politely suggest that you return to where you came from as your home town seems to have misplaced its village idiot.

Edited by billd766

Set them up the same way they set up unsuspecting expats and tourists, post the video on that Facebook page. Enough faces shown and enough face will be lost, and probably jobs and it stops. The internet is our friend!

A lot of the cases people bring out now is old news. The stops at Asok intersection have been going on for years.

the stickman fellow mention it all the time but when i stayed 2010 till 2013,did not see once.

i think you would bring up any old story now,and ifits negative a lot of people will carry on like the sky is falling.

Old news..probably 3-4 new reports and now the sky is falling.

having seen the quality of those walking around, i am not suprise the police wanna check.

walking trash especially those wannabe DJ bad boy w*nkers with the cap backwards

of little interest to the ignorant fools that have gone native and live in the booonies of nakon nowhere ...BUT lets not forget that many Genuine tourists transit thro bkk for a few days and they fear this kind of abuse by any law enforcement as this is the natorious far east and being forced to sign any bull that is made up on that day of a little pill slipped into your shirt pocket can DESTROY your life/////..but hey thailand is perfect isnt it fools

Do you know me or any other farang living in rural Thailand?

Thank you very much for calling me ignorant and a fool just because I live in rural Thailand.

It merely highlights your ignorance and stupidity.

I assume from your arrogant tone that you live in Bangkok and thus consider yourself a superior foreign person.

Most of us are quite content and happy with our lives and your post confirms that we did the right thing.

Whilst life in Thailand isn't perfect out here it is pretty good and there are very few numpties like you living out here.

May I politely suggest that you return to where you came from as your home town seems to have misplaced its village idiot.

+1+!

This is the BiB's way of retaliating against the army. If they can get tourists to stop coming to Thailand that will hurt the army.

Strange how things work here. Army close some dodgy massage parlors in Thong Lo police area. Thong Lo ramp up stop and search, including urine tests, of foreigners. This at a time when tourist numbers and revenue have been falling.

Tit for tat? Recouping lost earnings? Or is that too simple. Now who would gain from casing issues for the current government, and have influence over the police?

I'm waiting for one of the law firms that advertise here to offer a helpline number that people can call for help when this happens + start a lawsuit for illegal search and detention against the Police.

What the police are doing, i.e. searching people for illicit items is not illegal.

You're so anxious to make excuses for police abuse and corruption.

They just don't want tourist anymore !

Everyday another attempt to stop tourists from choosing Thailand as a travel destination.....

Yep, I swear they fail to realize that without tourism this country would wither and die. Do they think they can function on the sale of rice? Best call in Yingluck laugh.png
Why do you equate a 6% loss of revenue with certain doom? And by the way, agriculture brings in more than tourism.

Because everyone in the tourism industry is an honest citizen filing his income legit right? lol common people use your brains.

I have to agree with billd766. While not quite out in the ville, I'm in the suburbs in Issan and we didn't leave our brains behind in the city, unlike city folk that come to the country, or many farangs that come to Thailand. It isn't as bad up here, but with many sources of income cut for the cops the stops have gotten more and more frequent, but don't seem to be just targeting farangs, although it seems I've been singled out a couple of times very recently. Once for no green book, I didn't even know what it was. Have copy in truck now, nobody in right mind puts the actual green book in verhicle. The last time, I knew I was in for trouble when the cop didn't ask for drivers license but passport. I carry in truck, not on person, so showed it to him, he said pull over there, "this not America". That was a rigged game. Wife came and got me out of the situation. A little tea money for the "Police Officers Benevolent Association". This is one place where you aren't going to beat the cops at their own game. Small enough that you may win the battle, rest assured you will lose the war. Piss 'em off and they will get you. Even the Thais will tell you that. Roadblocks everywhere, checking for everything and anything. Cops having a hard time paying their mia noi's. It does seem more focused on farangs down in BKK, perhaps even though the farang population has expanded greatly up here in the past 5 or so years there just aren't enough of us to target specifically. It does seem to me the great leader does not like farangs. Read the translations as he gives us his wisdom. It is the farang venues that have been most affected by the crackdowns up here, but to hear the wife, many internal workings of local Thai gov't, society etc. have been affected and they aren't making for happy campers either.

He was asked to sign, not forced, but yes, it was still a force of intimidation. Bottom line is, you just refuse, and you're off with a hundred baht fine. Case closed.
it would seem to provide the easy answer to everything just dont agree to anything ignore the police entirely but please be sure this is the real solution before you post such things

noticed some officers always on sidewalk by benjasiri park near emporium and multiple officers in the park way to many for that small area anyone ever have problems there or in the park?

another article suggests the police will be stationing outside many of the most fashionable hotels on nye in the asoke area to make sure people are partying responsibly (whatever that means).

Edited by fey

If i remember correct this is Thailand not your home country. If you obey the laws, do not cause problems, not over staying your visa, being obnoxious and disrespectful to the Thais or their customs you should have nothing to worry about. Never in all the years living here had any problems when i was stopped at a police road block. Show respect to the Thais, learn to speak some Thai if you plan to stay here for any length of time, don,t dress like a slob, don,t walk around drunk with beer in hand, no problems.

I love Thailand, am not a party person, have lived here for years, and always respect Thais cultures and laws. But your obstinate lack of understanding of the current situation, and apologist attitude for police corruption is an awful thing to see repeated here. You are judging a situation which is the direct result of a political coup, and the ending of free elections (and more), by your experience from years before...which makes no rational sense for you to do. It's wrong of you to outright deny that these things are happening, simply to be obstinate and disrespectful to others that way.

Here's a theory and it is only a theory;-

1. It is often reported in the media that the BIB support he whom resides in Dubai and his entourage.

2. There has been a recent case of one top BIB and his entourage being defamed very recently under the new powers that be.

3. The present powers that be want to encourage quality tourists to LOS

4. Is it not therefore possible, that the BIB are giving a sort of backhanded message in the manner of , up yours matey!! , we will do everything we can to counteract everything you are trying to do, to recover tourism , until we get some sort of parity with what you are all now getting away with ???

Could it be that organised ???

Just a possible theory.

Good thinking. I have lived in Thailand many years and know this goes on. Has happened to me and certainly don't dress shabbily. But never like this. Something is going on

just seen this on FB

"FYI... Another attempted shakedown by the infamous "little & large" RTP whilst filling up at Asoke petrol station @12:15. They demanded 5k as I didn't have a number plate (completely legal but new bike). Didn't ask for my passport or attempt to search me, but got very shouty when I continually refused to provide the piss test they sought. I showed my Thai drivers license & eventually had to play my trump card to leave. 10 mins later I drove past them searching a farang couple on Soi 31."

I am curious as to what Prayut thinks about this current shakedown.

1. Thong Lo station has gone rogue, and needs to reined in.

2. This is occurring with full realization and blessing from Prayut, which is a bad sign

for any farangs who are planning on staying here a long time...

Personally, I am going to start thinking about an exit strategy as the future is not looking

very bright here. Over the years if I posted something critical of Thailand, posters with

rose colored glasses would routinely suggest I should leave Thailand. So now looks

like I may take their advice.... :-)

Edited by EyesWideOpen

They just don't want tourist anymore !

Everyday another attempt to stop tourists from choosing Thailand as a travel destination.....

Yep, I swear they fail to realize that without tourism this country would wither and die. Do they think they can function on the sale of rice? Best call in Yingluck laugh.png
Why do you equate a 6% loss of revenue with certain doom? And by the way, agriculture brings in more than tourism.
Because everyone in the tourism industry is an honest citizen filing his income legit right? lol common people use your brains.

Common people? Presumably you are a nobleman then. Lol

The figure is not actually taken from income tax revenue but is the estimated total revenue created within the industry as released by TAT. Stupid people make assumptions such as yours.

Here's a theory and it is only a theory;-

1. It is often reported in the media that the BIB support he whom resides in Dubai and his entourage.

2. There has been a recent case of one top BIB and his entourage being defamed very recently under the new powers that be.

3. The present powers that be want to encourage quality tourists to LOS

4. Is it not therefore possible, that the BIB are giving a sort of backhanded message in the manner of , up yours matey!! , we will do everything we can to counteract everything you are trying to do, to recover tourism , until we get some sort of parity with what you are all now getting away with ???

Could it be that organised ???

Just a possible theory.

Good thinking. I have lived in Thailand many years and know this goes on. Has happened to me and certainly don't dress shabbily. But never like this. Something is going on

It is an interesting theory if the military were not so powerful. This current situation

could be stopped with one phone call from Prayut. The military does have a indirect

interest in tourism. If all tourism stopped, there would be a lot of unhappy and financially

hurting people in Isan, which would lead to political unrest. So at this point I am simply

unsure about what is going on......

1. Thong Lo station has gone rogue, and will be reined in with a single phone call

from Prayut.

2. This is occurring with full realization and blessing from Prayut, which is a bad sign

Personally, I am going to start thinking about an exit strategy as the future is not looking

very bright here. Over the years if I posted something critical of Thailand, posters with

rose colored glasses would routinely suggest I should leave Thailand. So now looks

You know Thailand is a big place, you could just stay away from that one corner in that one street.

1. Thong Lo station has gone rogue, and will be reined in with a single phone call

from Prayut.

You know Thailand is a big place, you could just stay away from that one corner in that one street.

Not if you work and live there... Like a lot of us.

from Prayut.

Correct. However a disease always starts small before taking over the body.

What I find most fascinating is that Prayut, who has absolute power ( can I say

that ?) has not put a stop to this. That is the million dollar question....

from Prayut.

I am sorry that you work and live there, how awful for you.

just seen this on FB

"FYI... Another attempted shakedown by the infamous "little & large" RTP whilst filling up at Asoke petrol station @12:15. They demanded 5k as I didn't have a number plate (completely legal but new bike). Didn't ask for my passport or attempt to search me, but got very shouty when I continually refused to provide the piss test they sought. I showed my Thai drivers license & eventually had to play my trump card to leave. 10 mins later I drove past them searching a farang couple on Soi 31."

What are the links to these facebook groups?

from Prayut.

Correct. However a disease always starts small before taking over the body.

What I find most fascinating is that Prayut, who has absolute power ( can I say

that ?) has not put a stop to this. That is the million dollar question....

There is really no logic to suggest it will grow, these particular police have always been a bit like that, just doing it more at the moment. And perhaps Prayut thinks it's a good idea. The reasoning they have given is true, they might not be targeting the right people but they have got the right area, plenty of drug dealers just up the road.

1. Thong Lo station has gone rogue, and needs to reined in.

Yes keeping your eyes wide open not like some with their heads in the sand.

Things can turn nasty quickly.

I don't want to be overly paranoid but having an exit strategy is a good idea.

I am sorry that you work and live there, how awful for you.

They make it up to me every month when a big chunk of sweaty expat cash shows up in my bank account.

Besides, I get to marvel at all the tourists who actually spend big bucks to stay for a few days where I get paid to live. How sweet is that? (Well, except when the cops need to make up a revenue shortfall.)