Push for Thai amnesty

webfact

Push for amnesty
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Anek Laothamatas, chairman of the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC)'s subcommittee on promoting reconciliation, yesterday insisted on proposing an amnesty idea for the charter drafters to consider but said it needed to be scrutinised carefully.

"I insisted on forwarding the report to the CDC, because the most important matter on the topic of reconciliation is making conflicting groups, or people who were affected by the political crises, feel love and unity towards one another," he said.

Anek said it was unclear if the CDC would support his amnesty proposal. He said there were two means to issue an amnesty bill - the Cabinet could issue it through executive decree or PM General Prayut Chan-o-cha, as chief of the National Council for Peace and Order, could issue it by exercising his overriding power via Article 44 of the interim charter.

Anek said his subcommittee's proposals to the CDC centred on creating a negotiation and recovery mechanism on disputes by including people who were not government officials to participate in the process.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Push-for-amnesty-30249184.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-05

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So, Amnesty is like a 'Get out of Jail card' for people that have, so far, avoided going to jail in the first place! What a crock!

No, that is not what the CDC described. It proposes political amnesty only, not criminal amnesty. So there is literally no "get out of jail" card. The NRC's position was that political amnesty did not preclude any judicial process, ie., criminal conviction. The NCPO granted itself criminal amnesty as the act of overthrowing the government was against the contitution. Under Article 44 of the Provisional Constitution the Junta can continue to grant itself any inclusive amnesty at any time.

whistling.gif What is he referring to, amnesty for being Thai?

Ok, I really know what he meant, just kidding.

I will gladly allow those who want amnesty it, but only if they first admit what they did wrong.

That means listing in public in a Thai publication or on television exactly what they did that was wrong and exactly what they want amnesty for.

Otherwise, how can anyone be sure the person confessing to wrongdoing really deserves amnesty?

So, in order to get "amnesty" and start "reconciliation" let's have a full confession of their crimes from any and all politicians to include:

• Date, time ,place, and people involved
  • details of all misdemeanors and crimes.
  • and location of same.

Only then is it possible to grant "amnesty" and 'forgive" those who did wrong.

• Like 2

whistling.gif What is he referring to, amnesty for being Thai?

Ok, I really know what he meant, just kidding.

I will gladly allow those who want amnesty it, but only if they first admit what they did wrong.

That means listing in public in a Thai publication or on television exactly what they did that was wrong and exactly what they want amnesty for.

Otherwise, how can anyone be sure the person confessing to wrongdoing really deserves amnesty?

So, in order to get "amnesty" and start "reconciliation" let's have a full confession of their crimes from any and all politicians to include:

• Date, time ,place, and people involved
  • details of all misdemeanors and crimes.
  • and location of same.

Only then is it possible to grant "amnesty" and 'forgive" those who did wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you! wai.gif

However, reality in this country lead me to ask the question: what are you dreaming of at night?

when i read "feel love and unity towards one another" i felt like i was back in the 70's on a bean bag in a coffee shop clicking my fingers

Finger clicking went out in the '60s. Strange how my mind went immediately to "Dobie Gillis" when I read your post.

I was too young to understand anything but the surface jokes, and I wonder if I'd understand more if I watched it today. That's what torrents are for... But I digress.

Edited by impulse

Wasn't the proposed amnesty by the PTP part of which led to the coup in the first place so giving amnesty now would be a complete turnaround.

They will only grant amnesty to their own people the reds will rot in jail.

Got news for you, the reds are already past their use-by date.

• Like 1

when i read "feel love and unity towards one another" i felt like i was back in the 70's on a bean bag in a coffee shop clicking my fingers

Finger clicking went out in the '60s. Strange how my mind went immediately to "Dobie Gillis" when I read your post.

I was too young to understand anything but the surface jokes, and I wonder if I'd understand more if I watched it today. That's what torrents are for... But I digress.

Wow, I must be really old, I can remember watching Dobie Gillis...............sad.png