How To Copy Music Cd

The Coder

It's been a while since I bought music CD's, and I see copy protection has become more pervasive. When I pop the CD in, all that is visible is the autorun player, not the tracks. The special autorun player lets me play the music or copy them in WMA format which I refuse to use since that has burned me before with the internal copy protection. I want to rip MP3's to the hard drive. Is there a way to do that with these kind of CD's, shareware or other?

It's been a while since I bought music CD's, and I see copy protection has become more pervasive. When I pop the CD in, all that is visible is the autorun player, not the tracks. The special autorun player lets me play the music or copy them in WMA format which I refuse to use since that has burned me before with the internal copy protection. I want to rip MP3's to the hard drive. Is there a way to do that with these kind of CD's, shareware or other?

hi ,

Try on the windows media player(10) in Tools-options-rip music, then tick" rip cd when inserted" and insert the cd again....also you set the format there to MP3.

hope that works

rcm :o

CDEx (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/) is supposed to work well even with these. And it's free.

I haven't tried myself, though. It seems to depend on the exact protection scheme used.

Googling for "rip copy-protected audio cds" will give tons of hits.

Note: ripping copy-protected audio CDs is not illegal if it's for your personal use. Not in this country anyway. Not sure about the US (DMCA?).

--Lannig

In most countries (not sure about Thailand) circomventing any copy protection is illegal.

Even if you would rip to your own computer under the Fair Use agreement!

Anyway, bugger them...

Whatever they do with a CD or DVD, the data has to be on it to be playable!

Using a program designed for recovering damaged cd's or dvd's you can always extract the seperate tracks on a disc!

So for anybody with damaged cd's :o download isobuster recovery software...

http://www.isobuster.com/isobuster.php

The pro version is not free, but the free trial can do pretty much anything you need

Of course you can only use this program for recovery of cd's dvd's you actually legally own and have paid for....

Cheers

Media player does not see any tracks to rip so that's out (figures, copy protection would be nil if it did see them). I tried cdex and it did the job: small, free, and it worked. I'm all set, thanks.

Just a word of advice, anytime you stick a CD, VCD, or DVD into your system always hold the shift key down so it doesn't autorun and infest your system with copy protection trojans. And likewise never double click the media in explorer; always use your own players. Some of you may recall a thread about a Thai VCD I bought from 7/11 and inserted that ruined my system and I had to reinstall everything from scratch.

Preferring to The Coder advice as above ...

Isn't it enough to disable "Autorun.inf" by preventing AutoPlay in the properties of your CD/DVD payer:

In "My Computer" window right click the relevant drive and select properties. Turn on the "AutoPlay" tab and in the action window select "Take no action" for each relevant media type.

Any comments?

If you really want to disable autorun then find this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Services>Cdrom>AutoRun

and change the value from 1 to 0 - then it's off for good.

After you do this you can still autorun a CD by double-clicking it, but nothing will happen when you insert.

It's not sexy but I just copy CDs with DRM by playing them in real time and copying the audio off the sound card using Audacity. Save as MP3 and you are good to go.

P

It's not sexy but I just copy CDs with DRM by playing them in real time and copying the audio off the sound card using Audacity. Save as MP3 and you are good to go.

P

Hi,

I tried that a while back but couldn't get it to work. How do you do that in Audacity?

P

You loose quality that way.

Better to copy in the digital domain if you can.

I do use this technique to archive BBC programmes.

On the Audacity screen, look for Microphone, and pull down,

YOU should select CD Player.

I use Wave out mix.

This brings me to a question that I've been meaning to ask for some time.

I have back in England, a number of vinyl albums which my ex-wife has in storage (or she's dumped them, I don't know which). These albums have obviously been bought legitimately and the required royalties paid. Should I now be permitted to download said albums from the internet without infringment of the law?

And whilst I'm on the subject, I was in England 2 years ago and wished to buy VCD/DVD versions of some Fawlty Towers sketches which are missing from my collection or on VHS. They were priced at well over 20 Sterling for the 3 episode disc, so I didn't bother.

All the episides of Fawlty Towers were made by the BBC during the time I was based in England and when I was paying a licence fee to receive BBC. Surely through this fee, I helped pay for the production of the series and therefore shouldn't have to now pay additionally for other than the manufacture, the blank CD/DVD and the packing.

Just a thought. :o:D:D

In most countries (not sure about Thailand) circomventing any copy protection is illegal.

Even if you would rip to your own computer under the Fair Use agreement!

Anyway, bugger them...

Whatever they do with a CD or DVD, the data has to be on it to be playable!

Using a program designed for recovering damaged cd's or dvd's you can always extract the seperate tracks on a disc!

So for anybody with damaged cd's :o download isobuster recovery software...

http://www.isobuster.com/isobuster.php

The pro version is not free, but the free trial can do pretty much anything you need

Of course you can only use this program for recovery of cd's dvd's you actually legally own and have paid for....

Cheers

no it not most countries it is just a few like UK and USA and some more. Some other european countries have a bug in the law, where it tells you are not allowed to bypass an effective (not sure I took the right word, it means a working one) copy protection. This mistake makes the complete law nonsense, as if I can copy the CD the protection is not effective and the law does not apply. If the protection does with it shall do I can anyway not copy it.

Noone repairs the law so you can continue with copying and selling modchips.

A few years ago I read the Thai law (it might changed), it told that for private purposes you are allowed to copy anything, as well you are allowed to copy software and give it your friends as long as it is not commercial and you don´t do anything commercial with it.

So in my understanding I can copy my original windows xp give it for my friend who uses his computer only for playing games, if he writes the menue for his restaurant, it is illegal.

Can someone update me if it is still that way?

This brings me to a question that I've been meaning to ask for some time.

I have back in England, a number of vinyl albums which my ex-wife has in storage (or she's dumped them, I don't know which). These albums have obviously been bought legitimately and the required royalties paid. Should I now be permitted to download said albums from the internet without infringment of the law?

The required royalties were paid for 1 copy, so you have rights only on this copy (or your ex-wife has rights on it). Downloading the same songs from the internet could not even be considered as a copy for private use, as the source would not be the copy you have rights on.

But who cares, we are in Thailand :D

And whilst I'm on the subject, I was in England 2 years ago and wished to buy VCD/DVD versions of some Fawlty Towers sketches which are missing from my collection or on VHS. They were priced at well over 20 Sterling for the 3 episode disc, so I didn't bother.

All the episides of Fawlty Towers were made by the BBC during the time I was based in England and when I was paying a licence fee to receive BBC. Surely through this fee, I helped pay for the production of the series and therefore shouldn't have to now pay additionally for other than the manufacture, the blank CD/DVD and the packing.

Just a thought. :D:D:D

You were paying a licence fee to receive BBC, and it was tolerated that you could copy the stream on a support for later viewing. You have to pay again if you want it on another support.

If you are interested I know where to download Fawlty Towers, but it would be illegal :o

To make it short, when you pay royalties, you pay for a single copy on a single support, it doesn't give you rights to get another copy of the same work of art on another support.

To convert CD songs into MP3 files, I use a program called AltoMP3 Gold 5.0. The free demo will rip the first 12 songs on any CD, on as many CDs as you want to rip. To get the full version instead of the demo, so you can rip the 13th song or the 24th or whatever, you pay some low price I've forgotten.

I just asked the program for ordering info. It said "You can also go to http://www.shareit.com and enter the program number there: 159180." So I'd guess the free demo version is there. If not, just ask Google about "AltoMP3" and it should tell you.

Cheers!

Michael