ED Visa Extension

Hello All and Happy Father's Day in Thailand!

I have two questions and hope someone will be able to help me.

1. I'm soon due for a 90 day extension on my ED visa. The date of extension is 5th January, so a month. If I go to immigration before that date, will they extend 90 days from that date or 90 days from the 5th January (giving me a bit longer than 90 days)?

2. If I do end up going early each time, and have actually spent less than a year on that visa (say for instance I have 40 days left), will they give me a 5th extension (obviously paying more than the normal 1900 x 4) up to the date that would have put me on a year, being 365 days I presume.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1. All extensions start from the end of the permit to stay you are extending. In your case that will Jan 5th.

You can do the extension up to 30 days early dependent upon your paperwork from the school being ready.

2. I don't think you will have enough time left out of the year to make it worthwhile to get another extension.

I have just completed 2 years on ED visa. I am very sorry to contradict Ubonjoe, for whom I am most grateful and who has helped literally thousands of people here.

My experience is that ED Visas are the one exception in that you will only be extended from the date of extension, and not from the date of the ened of the stamp. For that reason, often people's circumstances have meant that they require a 5th extension letter, or even 6th, during a year of study. The 5th can often be for a very short time if the person has only been a few days early a couple of times, and of course each one will cost 1900B.

Schools don't have 4 extension letters, the have 1 which they can issue to you as many times as needed over the period of study.

Note: I am describing the 1 year length of study as was the case befor 29th August this year.

Another point is that it appears that at CW rigourous testing is taking place and IO's are giving out only 60 or even 30 days arbitrarily even to ppl who've only been stuying for 3 months, and depending on which school.

I know ED Visa threads are hard work to moderate always, that's enough of a job, but I get the impression that the ED Visa subject is not Ubonjoe's area of greatest expertise. This year when the August changes happened, Ubonjoe was saying from his wide experience that the ministry is not in the habit of enforcing visa changes retrospectively to people already holding a valid visa, in this case 2nd years in the 1st 3 months of the new year for example, and then precisely on the 29th, where no info had been available from anyone at immigration or anywhere on the subject, they suddenly started giving such ppl only 7 days extension allowing no time to do the re-application from MoE before thet had to leave the country.

I have been something of the loong pee at my school, being the most senior, and have always carefully relayed info to students making sure that my info is sound, and where news is rarely passed on to them.

If I am wrong on my main point above, I promise I will never comment on ED Visas again.

Maximum respect to UbonJoe.

OK the good news is as promised I will never comment on an ED thread again. Ubonjoe is in fact totally 110% correct, and please remove my wrong comment.

I am very sorry. My only excuse is that the senior teacher and resident expert at school, usually correct, had repeated this to me so many times, and i therefore went on or so close to the date that it was not easy to count exactly on the stamps. I just did.

....btw if I had known I would have got an extn before the 29th August and got the full 3 months extn, and not been incorrectly deterred by loss of a month's time.

Ubonjoe is proven infallable again, and another plonker humbly bites the dust. I stand by my promise. Apologies again.

You would only extend your permit to stay for 90 days since the extension starts when your existing one ends.

The 90 day report and your permit to stay are not tied together.

If you went to do your 2nd extension early and did your report the report date would be 90 days from that date.

OK the good news is as promised I will never comment on an ED thread again. Ubonjoe is in fact totally 110% correct, and please remove my wrong comment.

I am very sorry. My only excuse is that the senior teacher and resident expert at school, usually correct, had repeated this to me so many times, and i therefore went on or so close to the date that it was not easy to count exactly on the stamps. I just did.

....btw if I had known I would have got an extn before the 29th August and got the full 3 months extn, and not been incorrectly deterred by loss of a month's time.

Ubonjoe is proven infallable again, and another plonker humbly bites the dust. I stand by my promise. Apologies again.

Agreed.........yes, you are a plonker

• Like 1

Agreed.........yes, you are a plonker

UJ never fails to amaze.