Higher taxi fares in Bangkok likely at end-of-month

webfact

Higher taxi fares likely at end-of-month
By Digital Content

14177677176530-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 5 -- An increase in taxi fares in Bangkok is likely to be implemented before the end of the month, according to Theerapong Rodprosert, director-general of the Land Transport Department.

Mr Theerapong said the new fare rate--expected to be increased by 7-8 per cent during the initial period--would be implemented after all taxis running in the capital have undergone a safety standard check.

About 25,000 taxis out of over 100,000 in the capital have already completed the required safety standard test, while it is expected that at least 85 per cent of the total would complete testing by December 21, he said.

The Land Transport Department will test the taxis from 7am to 6pm daily, starting tomorrow, to enable taxis in the capital to raise the fare as demanded by drivers for several years.

Currently, metred taxis charge at Bt35 for the first kilometre travelled, with the fare increasing dependent on the distance and time stuck in traffic. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-12-05

Currently, metred taxis charge at Bt35 for the first kilometre travelled, with the fare increasing dependent on the distance and time stuck in traffic

Metered taxis might but how many use their meter? Drivers have systematically charged what they want ever since the induction of the taxi in Thailand.

• Like 1

Currently, metred taxis charge at Bt35 for the first kilometre travelled, with the fare increasing dependent on the distance and time stuck in traffic

Metered taxis might but how many use their meter? Drivers have systematically charged what they want ever since the induction of the taxi in Thailand.

The only ones that don't use their meter are the ones sitting outside hotels and tourist spots. There are very few that don't use their meter.

There are very few that don't use their meter.

If you happened to be going very close to the drivers desired location that is. Other than than that, you will be seeing tail lights and waving down the next taxi. Continue this exercise until you get the right one.

Completely untrue, the vast majority use their meters.

I totally agree. I have used Bangkok taxis regularly for 13 years and could count on one hand the number who have not automatically turned on the meter. But I don't catch them from the main tourist haunts like Sukhumvit, MBK, etc. The only problem I have is those who refuse a destination. I don't really have a problem with this if it is near the end of shift, but do at other times. These days, if they stop and wind down the window I simply wave them away. If we all did this, the practice might stop.

Edited by metisdead
Repaired the reply to move it outside of the quoted post.

The only ones that don't use their meter are the ones sitting outside hotels and tourist spots. There are very few that don't use their meter.

I'm trying to think of an occasion in the last twenty-eight years here when I've had a taxi refuse to use the meter. I'm sure there must have been one or two but I can't recall them specifically.

Must be getting old.

• Like 1

mister mister, in my 2 years in bangkok i have never have problem with a taxi driver, somtimes they try to say a price, but then i only tell use meter or i take another taxi.

yes i see the same thing, the guys sitting and wait for tourist outside a expensive or good hotel are very often the "bad boys" hehe

Can anybody report of a country where taxi's are cheaper than Bangkok? I have never had any problem getting them to use the meter. And the includes both tourist areas and anywhere else. In the event I got an oddball who wouldn't use the meter, I simply flag them on and get the next one.

On account I own several cars in Thailand and have green plates on a couple of them, it's fair to say at the end of the day, I can't find any way to operate them for less than Bangkok taxis charge. So I always give a tip now days (as long as they made no issue of using the meter and didn't complain about the fare charged by the meter). It's not like they get rich on the current fare scheme.

In my opinion, anyone who considers Bangkok taxis overpriced is gonna have a hard time finding any place to live in financial reality.

• Like 1

Cost of a 3-kilometer ride in April, 2011

*All prices converted into US dollars on April 16, 2011

The left price reflects little to no waiting in traffic, the right price reflects high-traffic situations plus night or weekend surcharges.

$0.90 – $1.58 Delhi, India

$0.97 – $1.29 Mumbai, India

$1.01 – $1.68 Cairo, Egypt

$1.15 – $1.73 La Paz, Bolivia

$1.16 – $1.85 Manila, Philippines

$1.25 – $3.00 Panama City, Panama

$1.27 – $1.73 Kuta, Bali, Indonesia

$1.28 – $1.91 Fez, Morocco

$1.29 – $2.14 Mexico City, Mexico

$1.32 – $1.98 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

$1.43 – $1.91 Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

$1.53 – $3.06 Beijing, China

$1.53 – $1.91 Hanoi, Vietnam

$1.66 – $2.32 Bangkok, Thailand

$1.69 – $3.38 Kathmandu, Nepal

$1.84 – $2.76 Shanghai, China

$1.91 – $3.19 Marrakech, Morocco

$2.00 – $4.00 Quito, Ecuador

$2.06 – $2.94 Sofia, Bulgaria

$2.11 – $3.69 Montevideo, Uruguay

What nonsesnse. Must have been written by someone who has never been to Bangkok, let alone travelled in a taxi.

Perhaps Dave could provide us with instances and statistics about how many taxis he has used and how many have refused to use the meter.

Further comment would be superfluous.

I still don't see why people get angry about taxis refusing a fare. Every other service outlet, be it cinema, bar or shop can refuse a customer without giving a reason -- why should taxis be different? Granted, some could be a bit more gracious about the refusal but that could be a language problem.

Edited by Patanawet

Guess you must have one of those faces dave.

• Like 2

Cost of a 3-kilometer ride in April, 2011

Could it be that this statistic only has considered certain cities?

For example I wonder if taxis in Chengdu (a big city in China) are cheaper than taxis in Shanghai.

I have lived in Chengdu, but somehow cant remember exact prices, but i wouldnt be surprised if it is cheaper or similar priced.

long story short, that statistic might leaves out a lot of cities, might be a whole bunch of cities with cheaper taxis than bangkok around the world.

but I am not saying the higher taxi fares will be inadequate, i really dont know honestly.

The only taxis I saw that refused to turn on the meter were taxis that picked me up at the train station. It happened twice. The scam is they pull into the que, take you 600 meters to the street, and then try to convince you to get in a taxi on the street that can both refuse destinations and refuse to use the meter. Then they go back to the train que and pick up the next victim.

The last time at the station, I wrote down the taxi license number before I got in, made sure the official knew where I was going, and had the meter on before we left. It was a very quiet ride.

tongue.png

Have to agree, almost all of the time I have ever hopped in a taxi I had the driver turn the meter on.

The odd occassion where they haven't, a polite reminder had it on.

The questionable claim that drivers who refused a fare refused the destination, not the passenger, left me suitably impressed by an oft observed, yet exceptional, talent. The unrivalled ability of so many of these guys to demonstrate, from a distance of 50 feet and at a speed of 30mph, an extraordinary grasp of extrasensory perception.

The FB taxi scribe who made the claim, however, might benefit from a reality check, and the realisation that taxi users are, by and large, somewhat more intelligent than he gives them credit for ... and substantially more so than he evidently is.

Have to agree, almost all of the time I have ever hopped in a taxi I had the driver turn the meter on.

The odd occassion where they haven't, a polite reminder had it on.

As have I. But of late, old habits are creeping back in, particularly outside of Central Chidlom.

Only to fools that take them.

There are very few that don't use their meter.

If you happened to be going very close to the drivers desired location that is. Other than than that, you will be seeing tail lights and waving down the next taxi. Continue this exercise until you get the right one.

Rubbish.