Christmas Dinner in CM 2014

Ulysses G.

Well already booked up 8 or 10 people for River Market.. And I am sure they would all still want that one..

But.. Very odd having called the Mae Ping branch asking about exactly that to be told no its not happening this year, everything's in river market..

Who did you talk to?

Duangtawan Christmas Day buffet 600 baht....

Have only heard one report on the food there. Was not favorable. But in all honesty the source is not that reliable.

Any comments?

Regarding the Centara Duangtawan on Loi Kroh, went two years ago with a group of friends (we had reservations at 7PM). Guess what, even though all seatings were allegedly by reservation only, they had run out of turkey a few minutes before our group got there. The rest of the buffet foods were at best mediocre. None of our group will ever return.

Some of the resturants/hotels seem to have raised their prices by about 300 % and some even more (600%), in the past 5 or 6 years or so others have gone up in the neighborhood of 50% during the same time. Selection has not changed much if any. Charge what you think the market will bear then add a tad to it maybe????

The less expensive places that do set holiday dinners, The Garden, Bake and Bite, The Art Cafe have charged pretty much the same price for years, depending on whether basis drinks and dessert is included, or not. They range from about 300 - 400 baht. However, The Dukes new set holiday dinner sounds pretty good. For a few hundred baht more, you get the ambiance of The Dukes and a slightly more upscale menu.

For value Bake & Bite buffet is the best...

CB

I've never had the buffet, but the basic turkey set dinner with stuffing, mashed potatoes, really nice vegetables and cranberry sauce is as good as I've had anywhere, including back home, and quite inexpensive. It is actually better than the hotel buffets in CM at 5 times the price. I have always been impressed by the quality of Bake and Bites holiday meals.

Ive been to the Japanese Buffet in the Centara Duangtawan twice, and IMHO that was two times too many. Not impressed in the least. To top it off they only had Heineken and Singha beer at inflated prices. No Leo or Chang draught.

I can only take so much......

Havent been back there for well over a year and cant say I miss the place.

May have to give the Dukes a try this festive season

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Some of the resturants/hotels seem to have raised their prices by about 300 % and some even more (600%), in the past 5 or 6 years or so others have gone up in the neighborhood of 50% during the same time. Selection has not changed much if any. Charge what you think the market will bear then add a tad to it maybe????

The less expensive places that do set holiday dinners, The Garden, Bake and Bite, The Art Cafe have charged pretty much the same price for years, depending on whether basis drinks and dessert is included, or not. They range from about 300 - 400 baht. However, The Dukes new set holiday dinner sounds pretty good. For a few hundred baht more, you get the ambiance of The Dukes and a slightly more upscale menu.

Went there Christmas Eve was a buffet cost 570 baht. It was OK the turkey and dressing were moist and they had lots of cranberry jelly which is my favorite. They were not prepared for it. They brought the Turkey and ham out and were cutting it as you waited rather than having it all ready carved up. The ham was a disappointment. So was the Pecan pie.

No set meals. Only one seating. Had heard that other places that used to do two seating's also were doing only one this year.

Edited by northernjohn

I was looking at all the various hotel options and the insanity of the pricing ...many in the forum already know I am not a Cheap Charlie and will fork out money for a good quality meal

This year it seems I went for a simpler option hoping silently Chiangmai will revert itself back to its old days but alas progress is here and the malls are here to stay ...I am bemused at how fast things have changed over the last 2 years

Ate at good old Mr Chan & Pauline for Christmas...great company , good pizzas , pork and a spaghetti rounded up the night.

Merry Christmas everyone !

• Like 2