Christmas Dinner in CM 2014

Ulysses G.

re

It is on Thapae Road soi 5, across from the Inter Inn guest house. Dave 2 might provide a map and some photos, if we are lucky.

here ya go :)

re

They also have a 300 baht option with just roast turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetables, cranberry sauce with no drinks or desserts and they can be packaged to go.

i had this option for thanksgiving .... its huge and lasted me two days :)

dave2

post-42592-0-47699900-1417781691_thumb.j

post-42592-0-03506400-1417781759_thumb.j

post-42592-0-68010300-1417781819_thumb.j

post-42592-0-02821400-1417782070_thumb.j

• Like 2

I couldn't care less since I live in Thailand for quite a while. Haha, seems the Thai make more of it than me.

Empress hotel used to have a good Xmas buffet. Lot's of food available for different culture tastes. Not expensive as well.

My bet is Empress, maybe for you, I stay at home and avoid the crowds (kids?).facepalm.gif

Edited by hugocnx

Not sure why so many people are so quick to bash these holidays - they are what you make of them

The Christmas tree is the tree of life - a celebration of life

As for great christmas dinners - Gekko bar usually has a great spread and a very economical price

The 4+ star hotels have increased their prices about 300% in the last 6 yrs but I have always enjoyed the dinner at Le Meridien

Not sure why so many people are so quick to bash these holidays - they are what you make of them

As for great christmas dinners - Gekko bar usually has a great spread and a very economical price

The 4+ star hotels have increased their prices about 300% in the last 6 yrs but I have always enjoyed the dinner at Le Meridien

I went there when it was only 600baht about 3 years ago. It had everything except cranberry sauce. There price now is like many other places unreasonable. If you are filthy rich it is OK or if you arte looking for a special night out it is OK.

Sausage King, Rob, & Yummy Pizza, Tony, both offer excellent Christmas Dinners.

SK, Rob is on 23rd 12.00 onward and Yummy, Tony, is on 25th 12.00 onward to late evening.

Bookings are required and Value for money is guaranteed.

Pigged out at both last year and this year is looking good.

john

Or the Aluminum pole if you celebrate Festivus wink.png

Edited by mania

I think the nicest Christmas dinners are those who serve a plated meal with trimmings, pie, coffee etc; and the restaurant of course should have a festive friendly atmosphere, where a single person or a group can sit down, be served and enjoy the meal and atmosphere

I see nothing pleasant in a Christmas buffet, with people up and down, shoulder to shoulder, barging in trying to get the best bits and at the end so stuffed to the gills with things they really didn't want to eat but did because they paid for it.......a thoroughly unpleasant way of dining at Christmas IMO

I totally agree with you. Don't forget the pre-lunch mulled wine and "mandatory" couple of glasses of wine/beer with the meal followed by of course Christmas pudding, the Queen's Speech and James Bond!

• Like 2

I think the nicest Christmas dinners are those who serve a plated meal with trimmings, pie, coffee etc; and the restaurant of course should have a festive friendly atmosphere, where a single person or a group can sit down, be served and enjoy the meal and atmosphere

I see nothing pleasant in a Christmas buffet, with people up and down, shoulder to shoulder, barging in trying to get the best bits and at the end so stuffed to the gills with things they really didn't want to eat but did because they paid for it.......a thoroughly unpleasant way of dining at Christmas IMO

I totally agree with you. Don't forget the pre-lunch mulled wine and "mandatory" couple of glasses of wine/beer with the meal followed by of course Christmas pudding, the Queen's Speech and James Bond!

...........and numerous couches to fall asleep upon.

• Like 1

I suppose I've lived in Thailand too long and I don't really like to book things in advance any more! I tend to go with my mood as the Thais do. As a result of this Mrs Millwall_fan and I will probably be having a nice seafood meal at Mho -0-Cha in the Anusarn on Christmas Day and forego the traditional turkey this year. The hotels are now too expensive as Northern John says -especially the booze prices and the pubs (quite understandably) all seem to require pre-booking. Mho-o-Cha let me bring a couple of bottles of wine with a nominal or no corkage charge and for two or three thousand we can pretty much have anything we want to eat. Couple of pints in O'Malley's afterwards and then off around town to visit some of our old mates in the pub game! Hopefully a fun day.

I had a British bulldog of a grandmother-in-law and come three o'clock on Christmas Day in Australia the festivities were brought to a halt and we all had to be silent as the TV was switched on for her to listen to the Queen tell about her annus horribilus. I was a good little Celt and maintained the peace.

In the xmas season, I love being in a buddhist country. They make no bones about it. Christmas is for selling stuff.

Be glad they don't take it seriously or the might shut all bars declare it a no booze day.

I had a British bulldog of a grandmother-in-law and come three o'clock on Christmas Day in Australia the festivities were brought to a halt and we all had to be silent as the TV was switched on for her to listen to the Queen tell about her annus horribilus. I was a good little Celt and maintained the peace.

And it didn't have a long lasting psychological effect..................did it?

And it didn't have a long lasting psychological effect..................did it?

Yes it did - I won't be watching the message this year. Granny, who hung on until she was a 100 to get her letter from the Queen, has long ago left this mortal coil.

In fact I probably won't do anything special this Christmas. Back in Australia it is a bit of fun because of the grandkids and the family get together. I am afraid for me it has more of a traditional rather than a religious significance.

...........and numerous couches to fall asleep upon.

Yep or lying on the floor in front of the tv if all the chairs are taken!

Turkey sandwich anyone? ;-)

The Garden and Bake and Bite have similar prices and similar food. The girls at The Garden used to work for Gai many years ago and opened their own place when she closed her Thapae Gate branch. They still cooperate a lot to this day and have many of the same products. The main difference is that Bake and Bite also has a Christmas buffet in the evening. I like eating a big meal like that earlier in the day and am very full with the basic dinner and don't want to be tempted into eating more.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Well I was hoping it would be about the different places to get Christmas diner. I prefer the buffet because unlike uptheos who wound up with a lot of food on his plate he didn't want at a buffet I get to pick what goes on my plate. Also I choose not to sit at a table where every body is elbow to elbow. That was the way it was back home when the family got together for Christmas dinner.

Now if I was back where I came from it would be a different story. The family would get together and some how they always came up with a good Christmas diner. Living here in Thailand the family is all Thai and pretty much clueless as to what Christmas is. Not trying to imply here it is or isn't a religious holiday but it was a season of cheer and good fellowship in the world I came from. I am going to go for a buffet because a couple that comes over every year invited me to come with them. Normally it is just a matter of hopping to get some turkey and stuffing left over at Dukes.

It is just called "The Garden" (there are several other restaurants with that name in Chiang Mai that have nothing to do with them), but it is not far from Thapae Road and Thapae Gate. Dave2 provided a map above:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781880-christmas-dinner-in-cm-2014/?p=8764169

Edited by Ulysses G.

Dont agree.. I really like the ability graze slowly.. bottles of wine.. Bit by bit and take a longer time over it..

Dukes last year was great.. Oysters, alaskan crab legs, smoked salmon (I am sure my wife hed her moneys worth out of only that starter section) We had some nice bubbly and crisp whites.. Then a more traditional meats plate.. It was great, not the cheapest but absolutely value IMO.