Christmas Dinner in CM 2014

Ulysses G.

Just called Dukes to make a booking for 8 or 10 of us..

Its not being held at the Dukes riverside this yeah, only at River Market.. Feels like a downgrade to me..

Price jumped from 1300 last year to 2000 this year.. Looks exactly the same menu ??

10557640_913382705340615_538559970034604

I am still booking it.. But have to say the price jump feels like gouging.. If it had gone to 1500 OK but 50% more ??

Its not being held at the Dukes riverside this yeah, only at River Market.. Feels like a downgrade to me..

Price jumped from 1300 last year to 2000 this year.. Looks exactly the same menu ??

I am still booking it.. But have to say the price jump feels like gouging.. If it had gone to 1500 OK but 50% more ??

Perhaps they didn't make enough money last year !

Christmas Day is the perfect day for hotels and restaurants to gouge as much money as they deem desirable.

They are fully aware that the required number of foreigners will front up regardless of cost or comparisons with the past.

Obviously we all have a choice and being "cheap charlies" we wont be contributing but trust all that do think its worthwhile.

Some of the resturants/hotels seem to have raised their prices by about 300 % and some even more (600%), in the past 5 or 6 years or so others have gone up in the neighborhood of 50% during the same time. Selection has not changed much if any. Charge what you think the market will bear then add a tad to it maybe????

Even the RTP have not raised fines this much and we know they are outright bandits, not interested in the price of coal in China as comparsion as this is Thailand You can google the price of imported product and compare todays cost to 5 years ago, Transport costs, wages etc can also be easily compared

Not a big deal but the word "please" is not spelled correctly on Dave's poster. I always found the Duke's great for just about everything except Thanksgiving and Christmas. I tried the turkey twice and won't be going back.

Any you want me to pay 2,000 baht for a single meal? No thanks.

And to add insult to injury I have to listen to jazz music!?!

Edited by JulieM

Everywhere (almost) has raised their prices in the hundreds of percent it seems. The Shangri La was about 500 THB as I recall and now it is 2,480 THB per head. We gave up on the Shangri La when they refused to honor our member card which I got the first or second day they opened their doors; through a friend at the time. The last time we tried to use it they said that they "had never seen another one like it before." It offered a substantial discount.

I'm sure the Dukes is good. Some of the things on the menu I've not had in 10 years or more. But I can't eat more than one plate of food anymore at holiday dinners so I couldn't justify the price for 4 of us!

Edited by elektrified

Not a big deal but the word "please" is not spelled correctly on Dave's poster. I always found the Duke's great for just about everything except Thanksgiving and Christmas. I tried the turkey twice and won't be going back.

Any you want me to pay 2,000 baht for a single meal? No thanks.

And to add insult to injury I have to listen to jazz music!?!

2,000 Baht is steep. For about the same price you can have the meal at the Four Seasons Hotel which is hard to beat.

Perhaps they didn't make enough money last year !

Considering the amount of tight fisted scroungers there are in Chiang Mai and that its a buffet, I'm positive they lost their shirt last time...

We went to check out the Grand View Hotel. Restaurant looks great, much better than I envisaged. For 400 it was an easy decision for Christmas Dinner. Looks like sales are very slow, so no need to rush.

I know there are mixed reviews but I am used to soggy vegetables, dry turkey and some of it being luke warm on Xmas Day. It wouldn't feel right if it was perfect. As long as they have turkey and cranberry sauce I'll be happy, especially after seeing some of the prices above.

Edited by mat999

If you are looking to compare with similarly priced buffet give the Meridien a call and ask them to mail you their 25th buffet listing. Price is 1875baht or 1630 with a discount card.

Does it run from 3:30 in the afternoon until 9:00 at night? In that time frame you could squeeze in two meals.

If you are looking to compare with similarly priced buffet give the Meridien a call and ask them to mail you their 25th buffet listing. Price is 1875baht or 1630 with a discount card.

Does it run from 3:30 in the afternoon until 9:00 at night? In that time frame you could squeeze in two meals.

Meridien is lunch time. Dukes is 1200-2100. Third meal Sir?

I know there are mixed reviews but I am used to soggy vegetables, dry turkey and some of it being luke warm on Xmas Day. It wouldn't feel right if it was perfect.

That is some recommendation. laugh.png

I have never eaten there before and it wasn't a review. Just wanted to make it clear that the quote from me was about home cooked xmas dinners.

Meridien is lunch time. Dukes is 1200-2100. Third meal Sir?

You best read the poster before responding.

For those who want to dine around the Nimmen area, Why Not have published their Christmas menu. They call it a "buffet" but actually you order from your table and the items are prepared fresh for you. It's not your typical Christmas fare, and at 990 baht, there is no way I could eat that much food, so I won't be going.

All you can eat from noon until 3 PM.

This link should take you to the menu:

https://www.facebook.com/whynotchiangmai/photos/a.141730662571154.36207.120885044655716/724121904332024/?type=1&theater

Edited by JulieM

You best read the poster before responding.

What is it that he needs to read for?

Duke's:

Jazz music starts at 3:30 - 9:00 pm

Reserve your spot 12:00 am to 9:00 pm.

Le Meridien Buffets (not from a poster but from their web site):

Brunch 11:30 - 15:00

Dinner 18:00 - 22:00

Or were you referring to something else?

It looks like you would have to pay for each buffet at Le Meridien

Edited by hml367

Interesting. I just got an email this morning with advertisements for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day dinners at Duke's Mae Ping, Duke's Night Bazaar, and Duke's Promenada. Looks to be 595 thb per person on Christmas Day.

Looks to be 595 thb per person on Christmas Day.

Maybe Dave will explain that. Sounds a little too good to be true or maybe just a basic Christmas dinner without all the gourmet items at some locations?

UG,

The notification I saw at that price was for dinner, not the buffet.

post-402-0-78249500-1418611635_thumb.jpg

Edited by hml367
  • Like 1

Well already booked up 8 or 10 people for River Market.. And I am sure they would all still want that one..

But.. Very odd having called the Mae Ping branch asking about exactly that to be told no its not happening this year, everything's in river market..

Well already booked up 8 or 10 people for River Market.. And I am sure they would all still want that one..

But.. Very odd having called the Mae Ping branch asking about exactly that to be told no its not happening this year, everything's in river market..

Pretty hard to have a buffet at that price for 6hours in the small Mae Ping Dukes site. Now if they had three serving times but they don't. If you go to river market you can sit there long enough to really over do it twice. I am staying away from that.