Thai "rip-off" bank charges for family maintenance from UK?

Mrs Razz either sends online via her UK bank then via Bangkok Bank London (will ask her the fees later).

or

https://www.kapookuk.com/en/

You have to send them ID/documents/or go up there to register. I think about £2 per £ hundred.

RAZZ

For sending £600; Still poorer value than what has already been posted. Sending online with Kapook would cost £9 + around 600 baht(£12) lost via the exchange rate.

Bangkok Bank. £20 + 0.25%(min 200 baht. max. 500 baht)

So one costs £21 and the other £24.

I tried to look up the funds transfer system at Bangkok Bank and they give detailed information on how to use the New York branch for inexpensive transfers to your Thai Bangkok Bank account (IMHO worth opening a BB account here in Thailand just for that ability) but could find very little information on how to do it using the London Branch

Anyone delve deep enough into the Bangkok Bank web site to ferret out the information for the Brits ?

Ha - I just checked, they are more expensive to send money from the London branch to their Bangkok branch. £15 if transferring in Baht, £20 if transferring in sterling, plus the 0.5% in Thailand. No free lunch there!

Ha - I just checked, they are more expensive to send money from the London branch to their Bangkok branch. £15 if transferring in Baht, £20 if transferring in sterling, plus the 0.5% in Thailand. No free lunch there!

in well over 30yrs.i have found there is no cheap way of sending money here.back in the early 80's you had to go to the banks here a dozen times or more as it was always the same answer solly no come.

so before actually moving here for good i decided the only way was to do the trans.once a yr.[living exs.] that way you could also watch the rate so if you were happy with it do a exspress trans.it does cost me 30gbp.+the thai bank but i have managed to get the rate [sO FAR] i am happy with.

Free lunch hell, sounds like usury to me !

How in the world can BB get away with charging the Brits so much more than us Yanks for basically the same service or am I missing something about banking in the UK ????

post-10942-0-16889300-1418110984_thumb.p

I tried to look up the funds transfer system at Bangkok Bank and they give detailed information on how to use the New York branch for inexpensive transfers to your Thai Bangkok Bank account (IMHO worth opening a BB account here in Thailand just for that ability) but could find very little information on how to do it using the London Branch

Anyone delve deep enough into the Bangkok Bank web site to ferret out the information for the Brits ?

Already posted that info within Post #32? Word blindness?

Already posted that in post #32. Wakey wakey! :)

NO, word blindness, all you did in post #32 was list the cost, I was asking about how to do it. How about that for sentence blindness !

NO, word blindness, all you did in post #32 was list the cost, I was asking about how to do it. How about that for sentence blindness !

Nice try...but you went on to list the costs in your post #38. The OP is not interested in the method initially, as the cost will dictate to his level of interest.

As you may have noted, he most certainly is not interested and if you had bothered to read my post #32, you could have saved the time that you took for all of your subsequent posts.

So either word blindness or worse. Take your pick. wink.png

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Here's the Bangkok Bank webpage giving details on using the Bangkok Bank London branch for transfers to Bangkok Bank accounts in Thailand. Link

It must be contagious. :)

It's worse value than sending from many UK banks. It's effectively an Intermediary, to whom you are pay £20(1000 baht)

So let's forget about this Bangkok Bank nonsense.

Yea, from posts I've seen use of the Bangkok Bank London branch funds transfer service/routing ain't nearly as cheap as the Bangkok Bank New York branch funds transfer service/routing, but that difference is driven by different funds transfer systems/fees used within the U.S. and U.K.

As a follow up to my earlier post I transferred 4000 pounds on the 8th Dec 6pm Thai time.

Hsbc charged my account 4 pounds.

204,710 bht was in my Kasikorn account 11am the morning of the 9th.

Is your case the norm? Will everyone be able to access the same rate? Perhaps they can try.

As a follow up to my earlier post I transferred 4000 pounds on the 8th Dec 6pm Thai time.

Is your case the norm? Will everyone be able to access the same rate? Perhaps they can try.

I always get the current Kasikorn Thb/Gbp exchange rate which in my experience is as good as any Thai bank.

What I really like is that my money is always in my Thai account the next working day and a couple of times within a few hours.

I always get the current Kasikorn Thb/Gbp exchange rate which in my experience is as good as any Thai bank.

What I really like is that my money is always in my Thai account the next working day and a couple of times within a few hours.

I'm writing about the HSBC fee....as you should know....as we had this discussion before. Apparently you've been banking with them for quite some time. We weren't sure if the rate was available to all.

As far as I'm aware the 4 pound transfer fee is available to anyone using international transfers with HSBC.

I've seen others posting on here that they get charged the same.

HSBC International Payments

I looked at this before, but not closely enough...as it was on another part of the PDF. Priority Payments.

Will keep it in mind, as I have an HSBC account.

post-25153-0-98154100-1418346041_thumb.j

post-25153-0-87029200-1418346308_thumb.j

• Like 1