Family of Brits murdered in Thailand say evidence convincing

Lite Beer

This will be the same 23 pages I've read before. Forgive me if this has been covered but I STILL don't see any sign of this statement through the FCO. This time a search on "Witheridge".

https://www.gov.uk/government/announcements?keywords=witheridge&announcement_filter_option=all&topics[]=all&departments[]=foreign-commonwealth-office&world_locations[]=all&from_date=&to_date=

My problem is that we have seen a couple of announcements that appear to have come from the families. In those statements they are unclear as to which investigation they are in agreement with. The worst part of this is that the official mouthpiece of the FCO has not published ANY statement whereas the media reports I have read state that this statement has been released "through" the FCO yet the FCO has NOT released ANY statement on this case since the October 13th. This does call into question the veracity of this press release.

As a Brit I find this statement HIGHLY unusual as it is NOT a part of any media case that I have ever experienced being relayed through the British media. Not to say that this can't be true but it is incredibly unusual AND not an official statement from the FCO.

IF anybody has any doubt as to the thoroughness of the FCO media department please understand that the unfortunate death of the Brit/US hostage in the Yemen has got a statement and that happened within the past 24 hours.

A statement from the families and a direct statement from the FCO aren't the same.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting how so many people jump to conclusions,

"Appears to be convincing" has a completely different connotation from "we are convinced"...

I would suggest that many posters study up on the subtleties of language...

This statement was written by professionals.

I agree about the subtleties of language

Quote:

"The evidence collected by the Royal Thai police will be presented at court and we hope the suspects are granted a fair and transparent trial. We are thankful of the over-sight of pressure groups such as Reprieve and Amnesty".

Quote:

"From what we have seen, the suspects have a difficult case to answer. The evidence against them appears to be powerful and convincing. They must respond to these charges, and their arguments must be considered with the same scrutiny as those of the prosecution.

I believe reading these two statements that the Millers might be under the impression that the suspects are innocent.................

"Appears to be convincing" has a completely different connotation from "we are convinced"...

Quote:

"The evidence collected by the Royal Thai police will be presented at court and we hope the suspects are granted a fair and transparent trial. We are thankful of the over-sight of pressure groups such as Reprieve and Amnesty".

Quote:

"From what we have seen, the suspects have a difficult case to answer. The evidence against them appears to be powerful and convincing. They must respond to these charges, and their arguments must be considered with the same scrutiny as those of the prosecution.

I believe reading these two statements that the Millers might be under the impression that the suspects are innocent.................

If I cherry pick, and bold words that weren't in bold...... But I wouldn't do that.

I was, and I am pleased they have responded, just wish it was there own views and not the views of the diplomats.

I would love to know what there real feelings are and that of the British Police.

And how do you know its not their own views ? Or are you going to make up another conspiracy for us ? You should actually be ashamed of yourself for bringing their statement up as not true. This is the family own words and you just want to tear it apart. Now can you wait until after the trial before you come up with more BS ?

'This is the family own words' - balo

I disagree.

"We would like to stress that as a family we are confident in the work that has been carried out into these atrocious crimes."

The families sentiments maybe, but doubtful these were the words they would use themselves because they seem too objective and void of emotion (atrocious crimes).

Sorry to say that most Thais agrees that majority of the cops are dishonest and that there is not much they can do to change it. They have tried and most already given up on the idea that they will have a police force that they can trust. But the younger generations and people here want to make a change. It may take years, but it must start some where.

And the people in the US are in the streets now because they don't trust police there and believe they kill black people without cause. Does that mean everyone the police arrests is innocent, even the blacks?

What happens when you make up stuff, speculate on BS and partial information and ignore reality to continue to push nonsense theories in a case like this is you discredit yourself and then next incident that may have validity you and others will be seen as crying wolf or the internet detective / conspiracy theorist are at it once again.

There is no real evidence to suggest the son of a island headsman was responsible and tons to show he was not. On the other side we have strong evidence already made public they got the two guys responsible for this brutal crime.

Anyway -- people are welcome to go back and look at phone pics and take early press reports as gospel and pretend no revised reports came out to continue the nonsense while not just ignore the family wishes but also their and the UK investigators opinions who were here and examined the evidence and reviewed the case ... but yes, they are either ignorant or part of the cover up.

Real evidence:

No representation for the two Burmese when they where accused. (Unless you think that is acceptable. Well maybe in north Korea)

Top forensic expert in Thailand saying processing of the crime scene was flawed. (I didn't make that up).

Police refusing to answer for the abusive treatment of the two while getting a confession out of them. (How can anyone hope for fairness here.)

Plea for help from the parents of the two Burmese. (their request are not important?)

Money and power buys many things here. (Evidence it's clear in the most recent police shake up. And by most of our personal experience with the police here)

There are more to much to mention. But you already know what they are.

You might be one of the few people that can live in north Korea.

Nothing you mentioned is evidence of either guilt nor innocence.

The families have seen actual evidence.

I never said that any one is guilty or innocent. No one is afforded to refute any claims. But yet the news makes it like the family is already persecuting them? And apparently you too.

These are two lives. They may not have lived the lives like some of us have. But I will speak up for the ones that have the least amount of voice. Especially when they had plead for it.

If you already believe the case is closed, why bother even posting rebuttal. Just trying to stir things up?

Where do they state they are confident that the RTP have the right culprits and why was the statement issued on their behalf and mot by them directly?

I'm willing to bite the sour apple, if we hear this directly from the British investigators or parents.

If they do have the right culprits then I'm happy for the families but I doubt anyone here would ever trust Thai authorities where face matters more than transparency and justice.

It's only natural to express doubt to a rotten and archiac system.

You're insinuations are outright ludicrous and highly inappropriate, but this could be because you never have been a very good student, possibly dyslectic or otherwise impaired, or simply never bothered to pay much attention in class. Nevertheless, here's part of Hannah's family's statement once more:

"UK detectives travelled to Thailand last month to observe and review the murder case of our precious Daughter Hannah, and also that of David Miller. We would like to thank the officers who travelled to Thailand to review the case and the Royal Thai Police for facilitating their visit.

Since their return we have been able to meet with these officers together with our family liaison officers to learn about the investigation. There is a great deal of detail and vast areas of investigative work which has been shared with us. We respect the need for such detail not to be shared publically before Royal Thai Police start their trial process.

We would like to stress that as a family we are confident in the work that has been carried out into these atrocious crimes and want to remind both press and public that they do not have the full facts to report and make comment on at this stage. Current news reporting is causing undue distress to our family.

We ask as a family, as we have throughout, that we are afforded privacy and that Hannah and David are afforded their dignity during this time of immense pain and difficulty.

Our thoughts, as always, are with the Miller family. Together we stand united and focused on seeing a fair and transparent trial process to bring about justice for our beautiful children.

THE FAMILY OF HANNAH WITHERIDGE

The family of David Miller say they are united in their grief with the Witheridge family and also back the police investigation"

May I suggest that the administrators heed the family's request to respect their privacy ",and that Hannah and David are afforded their dignity during this time of immense pain and difficulty" and therefore filter out the hideous comments on this thread, or better even, call an end to it altogether.

As horrific as it is for the family, this isn't just about them - it is about how justice is served or not served in Thailand, which affects everyone who lives here. This is not a private family matter. Speculations about fit up jobs and protection of the wealthy and elite are not inappropriate, particularly where it involves a police force that is famously corrupt. If they have framed the Burmese guys and knowingly let rapists/murderers walk free, some other family may well be similarly affected by another tragic event perpetrated by the same people who got away with it this time. Would this be the first time a member of the elite have gotten away with murder? No, it wouldn't...There is little dispute about that. So it is right and proper to speculate, hypothesize and question. In the absence of a proper justice system, that is the only option. There is never anything wrong with raising questions - particularly where authority figures are concerned.

draftvader in his post # 571 brings up a very valid point and that is there appears to have been no official announcement from the F.C.O.

There is no official F.C.O. live link to this statement despite a prolonged searching process.

Now given the Thai press and some officials ideas of that which may constitute a governmental statement (he recent Tour de France claim springs to mind) I have serious misgivings as to the veracity of this claimed statement and its claimed source.

Someone in an earlier post said it takes 2 sides to keep a conspiracy theory alive. I agree with this logic. In fact JTJ and JD have said that the conspiracy theorists should stop posting as a show of respect for the families' wishes. Some people also suggested that this thread should be closed down by the TV Moderators to halt further speculation. For the conspiracy theory to exist it needs the 'oxygen' of claim and rebuttal.

My question is why do none of you switch-off the 'oxygen' or close down the thread to STOP the continual and blatant disrespect for the families' stated wishes? Let's have some reasoned explanation as to why you keep this conspiracy theory alive against the families' expressed wishes.

I would appreciate separate answers from 1. Global Moderators, 2. JD, 3. JTJ. and 4 JOC.

Joe, I reply for a number of reasons. The first being that sometimes I am just relaxing at home surfing the net and get caught up in this because of the second reason which is I have found it so offensive to make up wacky theories about this case and to go so far as demanding these two suspects, who are as close to guilty as can be before a trial, be released and even calling for people to donate money to them. I feel it is my duty (in the sense I am bored and playing on the computer) to try to point out reality especially when the conspiracy folks have been so vocal about shutting anyone down who disagrees and even accusing people like me and JD ad being members of the Thai Police, paid posters or working for the island Mafia. As you can see from numerous posts on this thread, the silent logical folks are finally starting to post again on this subject and some posters who were duped with all the conspiracy nonsense have been big enough to admit they may have been wrong. There are only a few hardcore folks left whose motives in my opinion is about their own issues with their hatred of Thailand and Thai Authorities and absolutely nothing to do with this case.

I do like to enlighten people as much as I like to be enlighten by others but in this subject it seems very few people were willing to wake up to reality regardless of mine or other's efforts but I do believe numerous people sitting by not posting were kept from falling prey to the conspiracy folks and their agenda by us continuing to point out reality and point out where posters are not being honest about things.

Not sure if this answered you but just some rambling thoughts to your question.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Thai Newspaper wrote David and Hannah family believe the Burmese suspects are actual suspects not scapegoats. David and Hannah family have never said that.

Must be a conspiracy since this paper paraphrased the family's statement for a headline.

And just below the main Thai Rath headline, which you correctly translated it says,

" Families of the two farangs announce they are confident that the two Burmese are the murderers."

So much for a fair trial and presumption of innocence until proved otherwise.

Disgusting.

I see the RTP have now got in on the act of spinning the words of the victims families:

Royal Thai Police tweet that Koh Tao parents of victims confident of case evidence and now devoid of suspicion

https://twitter.com/atomicalandy

They just can't seem to keep their mouths shut can they. Guess the last things on their minds is respect for the victims families

draftvader in his post # 571 brings up a very valid point and that is there appears to have been no official announcement from the F.C.O.

There is no official F.C.O. live link to this statement despite a prolonged searching process.

Now given the Thai press and some officials ideas of that which may constitute a governmental statement (he recent Tour de France claim springs to mind) I have serious misgivings as to the veracity of this claimed statement and its claimed source.

This was reported first in the UK, not Thailand. It has been reported by top rated news outlets.

jdinasia post # 588.

This was reported first in the UK, not Thailand. It has been reported by top rated news outlets.

Did you not see, or did you not wish to see the fact that there has been no official announcement from the F.C.O.

None so blind as those who do not wish to see nor as deaf as those who do not wish to hear.

jdinasia post # 588.

Did you not see, or did you not wish to see the fact that there has been no official announcement from the F.C.O.

None so blind as those who do not wish to see nor as deaf as those who do not wish to hear.

They officially released the family statements to the news outlets ... did the FCO actually make a statement too?

The Miller family said in the FCO released memo: Further speculation should be put aside until all the evidence is made public and appropriate conclusions can be drawn.

Net result: Speculation as to why they would request there be no further speculation.

It is too late in the day for the families request to be honoured in my opinion. Had Scotland Yard issued a statement on their return to the UK assuring the public that statements were/would be been taken from all UK friends of the victims who were in Koh Tao at the time of the murders, the speculation may not have been so widespread.

I think it would be highly wrong for UK authorities to release any such finding on the case given it is an ongoing and open case. I would agree with them releasing either very general statements such as they are confident in the Thai investigators abilities and Thai justice system (something along these lines to indicate they found no reason to distrust). Anything else could be viewed as influencing the case, especially if they revealed what they did or who they spoke to. This could be used by the defense to claim a kind of pressure from the UK Government to convict their clients. On the other hand, if they found there was some kind of cover-up happening, I would agree with them immediately making such findings public and very loudly.

Not talking about 'findings' of any sort. Simply that reassurance should have been given that the friends (including McAnna) had made official statements to UK police. The fact that there has been much said about witnesses being fearful to come forward does not instil confidence in the public. Does this apply to the UK friends as well?

I see the RTP have now got in on the act of spinning the words of the victims families:

Royal Thai Police tweet that Koh Tao parents of victims confident of case evidence and now devoid of suspicion

https://twitter.com/atomicalandy

They just can't seem to keep their mouths shut can they. Guess the last things on their minds is respect for the victims families

The stank from Thai "authorities" are getting worse by the minute!!

Sure after this, any small chance the B2 had of a fair trail has evaporated !!

Wonder what motive the families have for releasing their statement at this particular time??

Thai Newspaper wrote David and Hannah family believe the Burmese suspects are actual suspects not scapegoats. David and Hannah family have never said that.

Must be a conspiracy since this paper paraphrased the family's statement for a headline.

And just below the main Thai Rath headline, which you correctly translated it says,

" Families of the two farangs announce they are confident that the two Burmese are the murderers."

So much for a fair trial and presumption of innocence until proved otherwise.

Disgusting.

Totally agree,...............what happens if and when the B2 are made aware or this............how are they going to feel...................how are their family's going to feel..................what will the B2 do now.....................????????????????

The F.C.O. to date have not made any official comments, unlike the delightful comments made by the Thai police farce force via twitter.

My god when it comes to creative (lies) statements that both distort and avoid the truth indeed this is the hub of hubs for such events

The Miller family said in the FCO released memo: Further speculation should be put aside until all the evidence is made public and appropriate conclusions can be drawn.

Net result: Speculation as to why they would request there be no further speculation.

It is too late in the day for the families request to be honoured in my opinion. Had Scotland Yard issued a statement on their return to the UK assuring the public that statements were/would be been taken from all UK friends of the victims who were in Koh Tao at the time of the murders, the speculation may not have been so widespread.

I think it would be highly wrong for UK authorities to release any such finding on the case given it is an ongoing and open case. I would agree with them releasing either very general statements such as they are confident in the Thai investigators abilities and Thai justice system (something along these lines to indicate they found no reason to distrust). Anything else could be viewed as influencing the case, especially if they revealed what they did or who they spoke to. This could be used by the defense to claim a kind of pressure from the UK Government to convict their clients. On the other hand, if they found there was some kind of cover-up happening, I would agree with them immediately making such findings public and very loudly.

Not talking about 'findings' of any sort. Simply that reassurance should have been given that the friends (including McAnna) had made official statements to UK police. The fact that there has been much said about witnesses being fearful to come forward does not instil confidence in the public. Does this apply to the UK friends as well?

Of course, if they speak about who they spoke to and what they investigated and then come out with positive statements about the guilt of these suspects by way of confidence in the investigation then it certainly can be viewed as influencing the case and putting pressure on Thailand by the defense team. If on the other hand they believe the case is tainted then they should release info to actually put pressure on Thailand.

This will be the same 23 pages I've read before. Forgive me if this has been covered but I STILL don't see any sign of this statement through the FCO. This time a search on "Witheridge".

https://www.gov.uk/government/announcements?keywords=witheridge&announcement_filter_option=all&topics[]=all&departments[]=foreign-commonwealth-office&world_locations[]=all&from_date=&to_date=

My problem is that we have seen a couple of announcements that appear to have come from the families. In those statements they are unclear as to which investigation they are in agreement with. The worst part of this is that the official mouthpiece of the FCO has not published ANY statement whereas the media reports I have read state that this statement has been released "through" the FCO yet the FCO has NOT released ANY statement on this case since the October 13th. This does call into question the veracity of this press release.

As a Brit I find this statement HIGHLY unusual as it is NOT a part of any media case that I have ever experienced being relayed through the British media. Not to say that this can't be true but it is incredibly unusual AND not an official statement from the FCO.

IF anybody has any doubt as to the thoroughness of the FCO media department please understand that the unfortunate death of the Brit/US hostage in the Yemen has got a statement and that happened within the past 24 hours.

A statement from the families and a direct statement from the FCO aren't the same.

From the OP

In statements released through Britain's Foreign Office, the victims' families said they had seen strong evidence against the suspects and expressed confidence in the case.

That seems quite clear. Every statement made through the FCO (interesting that this is misquoted too. It has been the Foreign and Commonwealth Office since 1968.) is released through their official channels immediately. I am just unclear as to why the departure from the normal standards in this case/quotation.

Made through (not made by)

Every statement made through the FCO (interesting that this is misquoted too. It has been the Foreign and Commonwealth Office since 1968.) is released through their official channels immediately. I am just unclear as to why the departure from the normal standards in this case/quotation.

What statement has the FCO made? They released to the press the statements of the parents. Logic would dictate the parents wanted to get this out to quiet those spreading unfounded theories (as they stated) and the FCO got the statement out for them through their press channels.

Not a conspiracy going on everywhere.

jdinasia post # 588.

As the statement was from the families, not the FCO......

Do you think itv BBC mirror etc all got it wrong?

Actually it would appear that the AP have added in extra information that the other outlets have not. Neither the BBC or the Guardian have mentioned the FO (sic). Being that we are discussing the OP I think that it would be fair for us all to question the veracity when AP is making that statement. The BBC and Guardian also do not provide any clarity as to which investigation they are supporting or to whether the Met are in agreement with the RTP or not. I do not expect that right now but don't think this was a well advised PR and still find it a little strange as a Brit as a press statement coming from the family, at this point, is highly unusual in our culture. Further to this we have all read "other parties" making statements on behalf of other governments in this case so are rightly suspicious.

jdinasia post # 591..

As the statement was from the families, not the FCO......

Do you think itv BBC mirror etc all got it wrong?

Having as I said earlier managed press conferences indeed the creative juices of the fourth estate do indeed perform wonderous deeds akin to turning water into wine regarding statements made at such conferences.

Remember it is bad news and scandals that sells newspapers and reporters in general do not let the truth affect the facts they file and their editors publish.

Much the same as on this forum too.whistling.gif

Every statement made through the FCO (interesting that this is misquoted too. It has been the Foreign and Commonwealth Office since 1968.) is released through their official channels immediately. I am just unclear as to why the departure from the normal standards in this case/quotation.

What statement has the FCO made? They released to the press the statements of the parents. Logic would dictate the parents wanted to get this out to quiet those spreading unfounded theories (as they stated) and the FCO got the statement out for them through their press channels.

I have not claimed anything. All I have questioned is the reporting standards here. With discrepancies in the reporting agency's investigations into their article we should probably discount the rest of the article too. If they are showing slack standards in their research who knows what they are quoting.

Conspiracy theories? What have I said that even hints at that?

Quote:

Quote:

Of course you do because because if we slice up their statements, focus on certain words and ignore what we don't like and then believe for some reason they are saying the opposite of what the mean it of course means what they are really saying is these two guys are innocent crazy.gif

I have not claimed anything. All I have questioned is the reporting standards here. With discrepancies in the reporting agency's investigations into their article we should probably discount the rest of the article too. If they are showing slack standards in their research who knows what they are quoting.

You are questioning if the family statements release are true despite MANY news reports reporting them and the fact they were released though the FCO. Do you think it possible people conspired to release this false information or just one person was responsible for possibly duping all these media outlets?

What exactly is your point by going on about the FCO not releasing their statements directly to the public if not to cast doubt on the authenticity?

And how do you know all this ? Obviously you don't have a clue what the British investigators did in Thailand. Unless you work for them .

Well, it is hardly likely that the plods got hold of the CCTV footage from BU and quizzed students and teachers there, isn't it?

More likely they were just incompetent fools who the far superior Thai investigators were able to dupe -- either that or they got paid off by the village headsman too. w00t.gif

Interesting what great respect everyone had for the UK and their investigators until they get a glimpse of their views in this case that don't seem to indicate a cover up and that the right people are about to go on trial.

Do you think they would have been allowed to investigate the headman son's alibis in BU or Pattaya, if they had even wanted to.

I seem to remember parallels being drawn with the Welsh police efforts to investigate the Kirsty Jones murder, i.e. that the plods would be stonewalled, if they tried to investigate anything themselves.

You are questioning if the family statements release are true despite MANY news reports reporting them and the fact they were released though the FCO. Do you think it possible people conspired to release this false information or just one person was responsible for possibly duping all these media outlets?

What exactly is your point by going on about the FCO not releasing their statements directly to the public if not to cast doubt on the authenticity?

Whether the statements attributed to the families were really made them and in those words or not, it seems unlikely that they declared that they are confident that the 2B are the murderers as they have been quoted as saying by Thailand's largest circulation daily, Thai Rath.

Whatever they might have said in English now makes little difference. They have been very successfully manipulated in the Thai media and the statements have served their purpose.

As I said. To cast doubt on the reporting. In context of the OP (i.e. AP PR) I have good reason to.

I never questioned the family's statements being true. Please find and quote where I have said that.