Swedish found hanged in deserted building

Lite Beer

Swedish found hanged in deserted building

12-6-2014-2-35-38-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A European man was found hanged inside a deserted high-rise building in Bangkok’s Sathorn district on Friday evening.

Forensic police said the man, aged in his thirties, has died for at least a week before,

The traffic radio station, Jor Sor 100, called Yannawa police to inspect the scene after it was alerted by a man that he found the body in the 49-storey Sathon Unique Tower building, on Chaoroenkrung Soi 51 off Charoenkrung Road at 7.00 pm.

The building was deserted for over a decade during the major financial crisis.

The Man, Natthawat, a chef at a restaurant told the radio station that he found the body while he went to take photos at the high-rise building as part of his hobby of photographing bird-eye’s views of the capital.

He paid a 100-baht service fee to a security guard to get access to the building.

After taking photos on the roof-deck of the 49-storey building at about 11 am on Friday, he went down and smelt bad ordour coming out a bathroom on the 43rd floor. When he came in, he found the body hanging on a beam.

Shocked by the grisly encounter, he tried in vain to contact police.

He later posted a message on the popular website Pantip.com telling of the find and seeking help from other visitor to the website.

One user suggested he alert Jor Sor 100.

Police later identified the man as a Swedish but withheld his name.

A wooden stair, a rice box and an empty can of beer were found near his body. A black wallet containing a driving licence issued by Swedish authorities and two credit cards was found in his jeans.

Police said they would contact relatives of the Swedish victim whose name was on the driving licence. His body was sent to Police General Hospital for autopsy.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/swedish-found-hanged-deserted-building

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-06

R.I.P.

Tried in vain to contact the police? What? They were engaged? Didn't pick up the phone? Out for dinner? :huh:

Maybe he tried to call 911 instead of 191.

Mind you, I rang 191 once, it was pretty much a waste of time as the Police didn't do anything and returned my call the following day to ask if the incident was still occurring. <deleted> ?

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 2

"He paid a 100-baht service fee to a security guard to get access to the building."

Ok, so if the Thai had to pay Baht 100.- may I assume that the Swede did as well?

"The word on the street" tells the going rate for farang would be around 500฿ for the cordoned skyscrapers - the security guy will order the hobos not to rob you for that whistling.gif

RIP the swede - too young to part this existence :(

Another 30 year old come to Thailand. Made plans. Probably talked to his friends about it. Bought round trip tickets. Checked in to a nice hotel for a long stay. All other kinds of behaviors which to not follow the behavior of someone planning on committing suicide. Probably still has a lot of money in his bank account.

I'm not saying... merely inquiring. Without knowing all these things, then my jury is out.

On the other hand...

I have often wondered, in all seriousness, if the TAT has any interests in how these events are views and pronounced. It seems that it would go a long way to have a vested interest in how these deaths are reported in order to prevent a lot of hard-to-do explaining.

Nah! I didn't think so.

RIP to the lad.

"Shocked by the grisly encounter, he tried in vain to contact police...."

Now that's a responsive police force!!!

Ask how many foreigners died in Thailand during 2013, any department, any office -- and prepare to see eyes that do not blink, like fish, wherever and whenever you ask that question.

Lets do a thought experiment based on data from Wikipedia. "According to the TAT, 55% of tourists in 2007 came from the Asia Pacific region, Japanese and Malaysians forming the two biggest groups. The largest groups of Western tourists come from the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, the United States, and Scandinavia. The number of tourists arriving from Russia is on the rise.[10] Around 55% of Thailand's tourists are return visitors. The peak period is during the Christmas and New Year holidays when Western tourists flee cold conditions at home." Please remember, we are talking millions of people, so we have a whopper of a sample. Even though the figures are from 2007, I feel it is not unreasonable to assume that in 2013 the breakdown by populations has not changed all that much, or even invalidated the sample just because temporary fluctuations like this year 2014 (where visitors are edgy for several reasons).

Okay, lets say that of the 45% farang tourists, half are British (in my opinion, not a reach). In 2013 there were 389 British deaths in Thailand. Ok, let's reverse engineer the total deaths of tourists (suicide or otherwise) in 2013. If 389 represents 1/4 of all populations evaluated, it is not unreasonable to assume the total number of tourist deaths is approximately 389 X 4 for the year 2013 -- which means approximately 1556 tourists died in Thailand during 2013.

It is not a concrete outcome, but is likely, unless somehow Thailand is especially lethal to UK citizens and no others.

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 2

"He paid a 100-baht service fee to a security guard to get access to the building."

Ok, so if the Thai had to pay Baht 100.- may I assume that the Swede did as well?

Yes, you may assume that...there is a youtube video of a young(ish) woman climbing to the top of this buidling. She paid the security guard for access. The whole place is creepy and should be demolished. The son of the original developer is trying to sell it.

Another one found dead.

R.I.P. whatever the cause, hanging or suicide. Neither of which is a pleasant way to die.

How do you know?

Have you died previously this way?

First story I have read on TV for a few days and it didn't take long for the first idiotic comment to appear.

You don't need to try suicide or hanging to know that it would be unpleasant.

• Like 2

"The word on the street" tells the going rate for farang would be around 500฿ for the cordoned skyscrapers - the security guy will order the hobos not to rob you for that whistling.gif

RIP the swede - too young to part this existence sad.png

Actually, no, the story was misquoted, it should have read , " After waking up the security guard he paid a 100-baht service fee to get access to the building."