Advice on Penang visa run by land

Currently in Bangkok, will go to Hat Yai by train on Jan 2nd, one night there (3rd to 4th, last day of my permission to stay) and then bus or train to Penang. Is travel from Hat Yai to Penang straightforward?

Apply for single entry tourist visa in Penang (I think I will go myself, no agent). One day processing is no problem, I plan to stay some days for sightseeing. But proof of leaving Thailand is a big issue, will it be required? I don't like to plan that far in advance and will apply for 30 day extension. I have two extensions from previous visas already.

Return to Thailand by land, take 20000 Baht in cash as proof of funding.

Did I forget anything? Any holidays or events in that week from Monday Jan 5th?

General note: Is there a table with an overview for visas for Thailand in South-East Asia, maximum number of entries for tourist visa they issue at that place, processing time, proof of leaving Thailand required or not, and so on?

It's a long time since I did the Penang land trip .

I used to get the overnight sleeper from Bkk to Butterworth ( Penang )

The train stopped at Pedang Besar to stamp you out of Thailand , then continues to Butterworth.

When you get off , look for signs for the ferry , walk , it's about 200 metres.

It's a 20 minute trip and cheap. I used to get a Taxi to my Hotel .

The down side was , I was too late to get to the Thai Consulate.

So the following morning I used to get a taxi there , as somebody else stated , it can be hard to find and it is a long walk.

I have friends who have recently traveled to Penang for a Tourist visa ... they stayed at the Banana Hotel... and were satisfied. Plus - if need be - there are Visa Agents at the Banana Hotel... side office I suppose.

This is peak holiday season witheveryone going to and from Malay-Thailand. Make sure you have accommodation booked in Hat Yai especially and return Travel. The border took me almost 6 hours to get through on these days and unable to find ANY accommodation in Hat Yai. Only option was a bus to Surat or Phuket with people standing in aislways. It was the worst trip I ever made. Pre book now or you will regret it

• Like 1

The train takes 6 hours its one of the most boring train journeys ever, and then it will take you another hour or so to cross from Butterworth to Georgetown ( Penang ) on the ferry ..

The van will take you about 4 hours + however long the queue is at Sadao. You book a ticket at any hotel / agency in HY and it will take you to the banana GH last after a little detour dropping everyone else of.

You should use the agent for a tourist visa, taxis aren't cheap in Penang. If you drop your passport into Banana when you arrive and pay the 200 or 300B charge, you can relax all day, then pick it up at in the afternoon.

If you do take the train, be sure to call into the money changer at Yong Dee hotel, in Hat Yai and change up 500B or so into Ringitt. It will save you a bit of time when you need to buy a ferry ticket. Don't listen to the taxi drivers at the ferry, just keep on walking, and when you get to the island just take the long walk up Chula st.

I don't find too much of interest Penang, especially if your without transport .. so maybe you want to think about the length of time your thinking about spending there. Make sure you catch an indian curry tho'

Enjoy the trip.

I don't know why everybody makes such a big deal out of getting to the consulate - it's not difficult at all. 1. Make yourself a little sketch map of the route from the Thai Buddhist temple on Jalan Kelawei to the consulate (from Google maps). 2. Catch bus 101 from ferry terminal/Chulia St/Komtar and ask to be let off at aforementioned temple. Fare is 1.40 ringgit. 3. Walk 15-20 mins to consulate making a mental note of Jalan Burma, the first big road that you will cross. 4. After visiting consulate walk back to Jalan Burma and catch bus 101 back into town. The stop is in front of a tyre place near the police station.

If you don't want to go back into town between visits you can get back on a westward bound 101 and go anywhere on the north coast - it goes all the way out to the national park. When returning to consulate, get off in Jalan Burma.

Edited by Kathiejs
  • Like 1

most agents charge 50-60 MYR ( 500-600 baht)

to do ur visa be it a tourist visa or non O, B.

when u add in taxi there an back 2x, waiting time in lines, hassles

its well worth it

DONT stay at the Banana Boutique gh on Chula very overpriced for what you get.

Jim up the street on chula will do it for u as well

I stayed at Hotel Mingood on Argyll Road in Georgetown, it's a decent, quiet hotel and the daily rate is reasonable. They can either call a cab who will take you directly to the Consulate for a fixed rate (and wait for you and take you back for the same rate) or you can use an in-house agent who charges a nominal fee for taking your visa to be processed. I took the train from Thailand the first time I went to Penang, I thought on several occasions the train would tip over. The contrast in line quality between Thailand and Malaysia is stark; the Malaysian side's tracks are smooth and rock solid, while the Thai side is sometimes dodgy.

Good luck smile.png

Hat Yai can get pretty busy with Malaysian visitors in the weekends.

On weekdays you shouldn't have much trouble finding accommodation.

You should not have problem with hotel accommodations; there are many hotels, guesthouses, and rooms to let, and the Malaysians are not coming in the numbers they used to. However, as always, it is best to make reservations

• Like 1

Thanks for all comments, I will take it into consideration. But still, I like train travel and walking/public transport. So it will probably be train and going to the embassy myself.

I forgot to ask: is Penang still hassle-free, no-excessive-documentation-required for tourist visa? There was a post about people not getting ED visa because more documentation was needed.

From reading Thaivisa, I get the impression that Penang is the first choice for tourist visa in the South, and Vientiane/Savannakhet elsewhere in Southeast Asia.

Edited by ChristianPFC

No changes to get a tourist visa in Penang.

The advantage of going to Laos for your visa is that you get a 2 entry tourist visa there. Penang only does single entry visa. From Bangkok it is also a shorter trip than Penang.

• Like 1