How to increase water pressure to shower?

arjunadawn

New residence, all first floor (only outdoor shower, bath, and kitchen on the line in this order):

The water pump (new) is just outside and below the bath shower with outdoor shower adjacent to pump. The shower is only a few meters and 1 meter in height from pump; next would be the kitchen. Everything on the water line is within 8 meters of pump. The pressure is significant outside at the shower but the bathroom shower seems fairly low pressure. I want to increase pressure and have tried a few different things without success (I tried various shower heads, including expensive ones. Only the inexpensive ones seem able to increase the pressure a bit so this was dead end because its still relatively low pressure). Is it possible the water heater is decreasing my pressure?

I have a Panasonic DH 3JL2, new. Does anyone know what may be a solution, or if the type of heater affects the pressure? Thank you.

Before you get to clean filter stage you should try the flow regulator screw.

Sometimes you need to simply turn the screw anti clockwise to allow more water into the shower.

This screw is often the problem when the shower doesnt heat up because thr flow switch is at fault.

You should be able to find it immediately after the filter maybe a box type unit.

• Like 1

I don't know the exact water heater, but most have an inbuilt filter. We had the same problem with our shower and the filter was blocked. It is located on the valve going to the water heater and simply needs to be removed with a half turn. It is quite small but easy to find and clean.

I am not saying this is the source of your problem, but it would be my first and cheapest choice.

Thank you. Brand new. Checked and tried without filter; pressure seemed the same. Thanks.

I don't know the exact water heater, but most have an inbuilt filter. We had the same problem with our shower and the filter was blocked. It is located on the valve going to the water heater and simply needs to be removed with a half turn. It is quite small but easy to find and clean.

I am not saying this is the source of your problem, but it would be my first and cheapest choice.

Thank you. Brand new. Checked and tried without filter; pressure seemed the same. Thanks.

Good news. The filter will need to be cleaned and re-installed. Otherwise the shower-head holes will block, and they are harder to clean.

I got caught the same way.

Thanks guys. Clean filter, regulator all the way up. I will check to see the pump specs and see about that versus whether different water heater would permit more flow. Thx. I think my question has been answered as best as possible.

• Like 1

I have one of those heater and excellent water flow from it so do not believe it is the heater (and with proper pressure you get fine water flow through point of use heaters) 50-60 psi - but normal well pumps do not provide that amount of pressure.

The water pressure in my condo is really high and the water heater works just fine. I was wondering about your water heater- how many KW ?

Maybe you would need a larger heater that could cope with the pressure from the pump- it should deliver a reasonable pressure. You are never going to get a super power shower from an external pump, but should be acceptable.

• Like 1

What size pipe was run from the pump to the house? If you want a decent shower need to run 3/4" pipe then swedge down to 1/2" to showers etc, Thai's will not run 3/4" unless they are told too!

• Like 2

Is there any way you can take the shower rose off and attach it direct to the shower input (bypassing the shower unit)? If same problem, I'd say either plumbing is at fault (too small or bunged up) or the pump

sort of like colonic irrigation ?? biggrin.png

• Like 1

I recently 'upgraded' my water heater from my old 4.5kw to a 6kw to ensure hot showers this winter - but as a by product we notice that even on lower heat settings, the water flow (with the same shower head) is nowhere near as strong as before.

Presumably one way they achieve hotter water is to 'dial down' the flow rate. Dunno, I am not an expert, but this was my experience.

• Like 2

Simple fix build a tower 6 meters above roof top install a tank on top of tower install water pump with filter between tank and pump so you can change filer plumb into water system from tank to house the pressure of your water should be constant after that. Don't make tower to high it will tear the hide off you. I'll send my bill later.

I had the same problem, and went with a bigger pump, the pumps are rated for one floor, two floors and so on, and I didn't get one with the tank on it, I got the pump without and pressure on demand. The problem I found was that I also had the change most of my taps and hoses, but I've got it all working now with no leaks and the shower is GREAT up stairs.

Simple fix build a tower 6 meters above roof top install a tank on top of tower install water pump with filter between tank and pump so you can change filer plumb into water system from tank to house the pressure of your water should be constant after that. Don't make tower to high it will tear the hide off you. I'll send my bill later.

6m tower will give you about 8 psi, would need to go to about 24m to get a decent shower!

If you upgrade your pump go with Hitachi inverter 400gx, capable of giving higher pressures at a constant rate.

I notice you (the OP) say the shower unit is new also all other faucets seem to be ok. This may indicate faulty installation. I have had similar problems in the past where the PVC tape wrapped around the threaded joints has been enthusiastically done and some has gone across the bore of the pipe partially blocking the flow.

We have a Panasonic DH-CT1 water heater , installed 10yrs ago which gives a very strong flow of water . The DH-CT1 does not have the little copper cylinder that many electric water heaters have .

In winter when the weather is quite cool night and morning we reduce the flow to get warmer water . We have a tank mounted 2mts off the ground and a water pump . Is your water pump strong enough . I have two other bathrooms with water heaters that have the little cylinder inside and neither of them give an adequate pressure although the cold water pressure at the basin is good .

In our house I've had the same problem with several outlets and found out that although the pipes in the house are PVC, the elbows in the wall that the faucets screw into were made of galvanized steel. Anyway, after removing the fittings to these elbows found the openings down to approx. 3-5 mm due to rust/corrosion. I cleaned the rust out as best as possible with a metal rod. I have to do this approx once a year in order to keep the pressure/flow reasonable. The water we have is very alkaline so corrodes the elbows rapidly. Eventually I can see where all the fittings will have to be replaced. It's an idea to check this if your pump is putting out the correct pressure but the pressure/flow to different outlets is low.

All instant hot water showers have built in restrictions for the water flow. If the water flows too fast it will not have time to heat up and then you'll be complaining about cold showers whistling.gif

The only way I can think of to get a real high pressure hot shower is to do away with the instant water heater and have hot water tank, then you can put in as much pressure as you want. biggrin.png

Many of the tankless water heaters in thailand contain a simple immersion heater (mini boiler) and the flow rate is inversely proportional to the output water pressure.n even so this technology is not bad but you wont get 5 star hot water pressure.

there are tankless heaters that use heating coils instead that can produce a high flow rate and higher temp also. they are also more expensive and often require a higher amp electric line. showers i have used in spain have provided very good pressure and more than enough temp. a significan factor is the ambient water temp before it gets heated. in thailand it should not be an issue unless the water is quite cold (well?)

https://www.google.com/search?q=tankless+water+heater+electric&espv=2&biw=1811&bih=945&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9oKEVOOhMMmyuAStqoD4BA&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw

Edited by atyclb

Easiest way to increase water pressure over all is to elevate the supply tank above the highest tap, or place where water comes out.

Get your water tank above the roof line and stand back for more pressure.

The pressure is not related to distance, only elevation.

Your "instant" water heater for your shower has a flow control knob on it to allow you to adjust the water temperature and when you increase the flow, you get less heat. It is the design of these heaters to reduce the flow rate in order to get more heating.

If you want the ideal hot water for shower baths, place a tank style water heater above your roof line and enjoy.biggrin.png

We have a drilled well. We can drink the water from this, but it is 'hard'. Although this is not a problem for drinking, it does clog up the shower head. I soak this in that white Thai vinegar overnite. Hey presto, strong shower again

If I'm reading your problem correctly and I'm not talking about your electric water heater on the shower wall. Just off topic of my answer some water heaters have a pressure switch that you can simple turn to increase the pressure. My Panasonic has such a knob it is says " water volume " which I have fully but really isn't that affective?

But I think your problem is this since you said you are using a pump to deliver your water into your house? If that is the case? Take the pump cover off and once expose you will see a unit mounted (small ) with a grey cover over it and some small wires going in and out, it might say something like do not adjust? take that cover off and you will see something like a spring with a screw on top? turn that screw clockwise I believe should increase the pressure for you meaning if turn correctly the pump should turn on immediately! If your pump ever goes out this unit controls everything and it is easy to replace 600 baht and the units are factory preset. You might have a unit pressure too low and need adjustment?

Hope that helps.

What size pipe was run from the pump to the house? If you want a decent shower need to run 3/4" pipe then swedge down to 1/2" to showers etc, Thai's will not run 3/4" unless they are told too!

I had the same problem at my house, I replaced pretty much everything and no love. New water tanks, new pump, new fixtures, none helped. I finally had to replace all the pipes in the house and immediately I had fantastic pressure. I am sure that the old pipes were clogged with rust and other crap.

• Like 1

I notice you (the OP) say the shower unit is new also all other faucets seem to be ok. This may indicate faulty installation. I have had similar problems in the past where the PVC tape wrapped around the threaded joints has been enthusiastically done and some has gone across the bore of the pipe partially blocking the flow.

I am a stickler for fixing service valves to every water outlet just in case anything needs replacing.

The pressure at ours wasn't great, and thought after fixing a new tap and basin, clean and non rusted the pressure would improve.

For three months I sat on the bog in direct view of my sink plumbing until one day I noticed I hadn't opened the blue tap fully!

Opened it up and pressure was great.

A bit embarrassed about it really; but I remember when you fix taps, service valves, tighten the nuts, you tend to use the service valve tap to open the full main slowly whilst checking for leaks.

• Like 1