Extending A 60 Day Tourist Visa For 30 Days

An American friend is coming to Thailand for 90 days. He'll try for the 90 day visa.

He said once they refused him a 90 day visa.

So am just making sure it is still a simple routine matter for a 60 day Tourist Visa to be extended for an additional 30 days in Jomtien?

My friend has no history of overstays or in and outs.

He comes here for about 3 months in the winter and is in the states for the other 9 months.

Many people confuse the validity period of the visa with the time he is allowed to stay.

He can apply for a single entry tourist visa. It will have a "must enter date" 3 months from the date of issue. He must enter Thailand on or before that date. Hence "it's a 90 day visa" which means that it has to be used within 90 days of issue. The cost is $40.

When he enters he will get a stamp in his passport giving him 60 days permission to stay. Toward the end of that 60 days he can go to immigration and get a 30 day extension, cost 1900 baht., It will be added on to his current permission to stay giving him a total of 90 days.

• Like 2

Wayneed: I typically just show up and get the visa exempt 30 day at the airport, make one visa run after 30 days if I decide to stay a bit longer. Thanks for stating what the Tourist Visa Dates and limits are with good examples. 3 months to start using it from date of issue, and then 60 days from the entry to exit or extend.

Wayneed: I typically just show up and get the visa exempt 30 day at the airport, make one visa run after 30 days if I decide to stay a bit longer. Thanks for stating what the Tourist Visa Dates and limits are with good examples. 3 months to start using it from date of issue, and then 60 days from the entry to exit or extend.

If you need more time from a visa exempt entry now you don't need to do a border run. You can apply can apply for a 30 day extension at immigration.