family holiday Phuket

jacktor27

Hi all. I am a long time lurker of this website and very rarely post, but here goes. I have been to Thailand a number of times and used to live there a few years ago. I have a wife who is thai and a 2 and a half year old little boy.

We are looking at spending a week in phuket at the end of Feb (over Chinese new year) I will have my parents from England with me as well who are in the 60's and 70's. We are looking for somewhere that can cater to all of us, we want it near the beach with a few nice places to eat and drink around but not full on patong style nightlife. Budget is 4500thb max.

I have searched the forum and found some useful info but wanted to get some fresh responses and thought this the best way.

Naiharn beach is less crowded and cleaner than kata, karon and especially patong. If you want a quieter location, look into naiharn beach. You can pm me for recommendations as I am not allowed to mention names here.

Naiharn beach is less crowded and cleaner than kata, karon and especially patong. If you want a quieter location, look into naiharn beach. You can pm me for recommendations as I am not allowed to mention names here.

The thing about Nai Harn Beach for this family is you either are right at the beach All Season's, U-Sunsiri (overpriced) where there is not really much choice in restaurants & nightlife or you are a couple kms from the beach where there is. At that point the walk quite the schlep to the beach, or an overpriced tuk-tuk to go 2kms.

Kata, even Karon to a certain extent (Kata Group's Orchid Resort super family friendly) I think offers closer to the beach accomodations as well as a variety of nearby restaurants and nightlife. Will not argue Nai Harn Beach very nice, but Karon Beach super nice too (!), massive.

• Like 1

Unless it is your own establishment you can mention names here.

The thing about Nai Harn Beach for this family is you either are right at the beach All Season's, U-Sunsiri (overpriced) where there is not really much choice in restaurants & nightlife or you are a couple kms from the beach where there is. At that point the walk quite the schlep to the beach, or an overpriced tuk-tuk to go 2kms.

Kata, even Karon to a certain extent (Kata Group's Orchid Resort super family friendly) I think offers closer to the beach accomodations as well as a variety of nearby restaurants and nightlife. Will not argue Nai Harn Beach very nice, but Karon Beach super nice too (!), massive.

Agree with regards to Nai Harm.

I think Kata Beach is nicer than Karon because the beach is smaller, plus at Kata Beach it is easier to be within walking distance of beach and dining/bars, Karon is more stretched out.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My best advice for a family vacation to Phuket is not to go to Phuket. Go to Krabi. Much nicer.

So much crime and so many mean spirited people in Phuket you hardly know you're in Thailand.

And whatever you do stay away from Patong, if you must go to Phuket.

avoid Phuket

And you have managed to find this thread to give these very useful suggestions, impressive.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I have been looking at kata today and there is almost too much choice haha. I will reply when we decide on somewhere and let you all know how we got on.

Quite a few places that would fit your budget and requirements, check e.g. Kata Poolside, Rico's Bungalows, Orchidacea and there are many others.

Edited by stevenl

Phuket is not really Thailand- its horrendous- don't go.

Try and get a decent Thai meal there- no all overpriced sea food or burgers.

As suggested islands around Krabi much nicer, bl**dy hell I would even say Pattaya, stay away from the dodgy bits- but not on any sort of budget.

As suggested islands around Krabi much nicer, bl**dy hell I would even say Pattaya, stay away from the dodgy bits- but not on any sort of budget.

Your knowledge of Phuket is what?

Personally, I would recommend one of the resorts on Cape Panwa (Google it and have a look, about 7 or 8 to choose from).

The Panwa Beach is OK, at least from the people I've met who stayed there.

The smaller islands, be they off Krabi or Phuket, are really only good news for couples, not families.

Easy access to Phuket Town for shopping, nobody hassling you on the beaches, the area services local Thais as well as tourists, so the typical 'farang' prices of the west coast towns doesn't happen, as 'adult' entertainment also doesn't.

This from a condo living Pattaya resident.dry.png.pagespeed.ce.iCXmiFQmCf75Y8CMyFH

There are so many deaths in the Andaman ocean at Phuket. To my mind avoid Phuket now and like a previous commentator said go to Krabi Ao Nang beach. Just so lovely. Fabulous boating and beaches. Shame a lot of muslim folk in business there but apart from that the beaches are superb and great family holiday. It is more expensive than going to Pattaya and then onward to Koh Chang which would be my other choice for families for good value. Pattaya no good for young families, too much sleeze.

Well guys, thanks for all the responses it's been helpful. Interestingly enough we are going to ao nang the following week. I have been there loads before and love it but didn't fancy 2 weeks there so wanted somewhere different. Also I don't see the fact that Muslims are running businesses there as any sort of issue or a "shame" at all, people are people regardless of religion and I have always found everyone in Ao Nang lovely but its probably best we don't get into a discussion about this, let's keep it on topic.

We have ended up going for something on Karon beach the centara resort it was a little over my budget but my mum decided to help out a bit and we have pushed the boat out for that week. I'm sure my son will love the swimming pools there etc. I know its one of the busier beaches but we kind of fancied lots of things nearby I hope there are some authentic thai food places near by as my wife and I won't want burgers and seafood every day but equally my parents would probably appreciate some western fayre.

Regarding getting around on the island are taxis etc really overpriced and won't go in the meter? Is that the case even if we can speak Thai? Another question haha any suggestions of things to see and do for a family there and also any good bars with music in the evening as my wife and I will be able to use my mum as a baby sitter some nights ;)

Edited by jacktor27
  • Like 1

Well guys, thanks for all the responses it's been helpful. Interestingly enough we are going to ao nang the following week. I have been there loads before and love it but didn't fancy 2 weeks there so wanted somewhere different. Also I don't see the fact that Muslims are running businesses there as any sort of issue or a "shame" at all, people are people regardless of religion and I have always found everyone in Ao Nang lovely but its probably best we don't get into a discussion about this, let's keep it on topic.

We have ended up going for something on Karon beach the centara resort it was a little over my budget but my mum decided to help out a bit and we have pushed the boat out for that week. I'm sure my son will love the swimming pools there etc. I know its one of the busier beaches but we kind of fancied lots of things nearby I hope there are some authentic thai food places near by as my wife and I won't want burgers and seafood every day but equally my parents would probably appreciate some western fayre.

Regarding getting around on the island are taxis etc really overpriced and won't go in the meter? Is that the case even if we can speak Thai? Another question haha any suggestions of things to see and do for a family there and also any good bars with music in the evening as my wife and I will be able to use my mum as a baby sitter some nights wink.png

Enjoy your holiday ''Karon'' is very nice, and definetly ''Family Friendly''...

The ''Centara'' is lovely, so well done for that..

Enjoy..

• Like 2

Regarding getting around on the island are taxis etc really overpriced and won't go in the meter? Is that the case even if we can speak Thai? Another question haha any suggestions of things to see and do for a family there and also any good bars with music in the evening as my wife and I will be able to use my mum as a baby sitter some nights wink.png

Centara Karon, Centara Grand or Centara Villas? If the former you're in town and close to eateries, if any of the latter, especially the Villas, you're reasonably/really far away.

• Like 1

http://www.thewindmillphuket.com/#!the-hotel/aboutPage

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g297934-d7077031-Reviews-The_Windmill_Phuket_Hotel-Rawai_Phuket_Town_Phuket.html

This is a very nice brand new Hotel not far from Rawai beach or Nai Harn beach and walking distance to Yanui Beach..

All new with lovely pool and rooms walk out straight to big swimming pool. UK/Thai owners very nice folks nice restaurant where the locals meet for a beer and a swim great atmosphere.

Not sure of the price but im sure they have reasonable rates..

For sure nice place for a family vacation.

good luck

We are at Centara Karon the one in the center a few mins walk from the beach smile.png

I think this is a smart play on your part jackfor27. Absolutely right, a very short walk to the beach and a ton of decent restaurants all in the vicinity. The Thai food restaurants right on the main drag are overpriced, but if you walk away from the beach just past the Wat, there are a few more reasonably priced Thai spots. I think the Two Chefs there (I wouldn't recommend for food, way expensive) has some nightlife, so when the parents and kids are down, you and the Mrs can go catch a band and still be right around the corner.

Enjoy !

• Like 1

Thanks grumpyoldman that was my thinking behind it really. I remember years ago staying in a place down the coast from hua hin which was lovely but it was so isolated and you were confined to only eating in about 2 places and there was nothing much else to do.

Thanks for the recommendation on the two chefs as well, I will be sure to check it out.

Edited by jacktor27

• 2 months later...

Right thought I would post an update. The hotel was great, really nice place lovely gardens swimming pools etc. There was an issue with my mums room the first night and they got put in an amazing upgraded room for the evening and then moved to another really nice room better than the original one booked. Couldn't really fault it the staff were lovely and it was really beautiful.

Phuket itself however was not such a great experience. Not as bad as some say but 200b for a very short taxi ride is ridiculous. In fact this was probably my main and only gripe to get to another area of karon would cost 200b even when only going about half a k.

Thanks for all the advice from people on here.

Edited by jacktor27

Right thought I would post an update. The hotel was great, really nice place lovely gardens swimming pools etc. There was an issue with my mums room the first night and they got put in an amazing upgraded room for the evening and then moved to another really nice room better than the original one booked. Couldn't really fault it the staff were lovely and it was really beautiful.

Phuket itself however was not such a great experience. Not as bad as some say but 200b for a very short taxi ride is ridiculous. In fact this was probably my main and only gripe to get to another area of karon would cost 200b even when only going about half a k.

Local bus is around 20 baht or rent car 1000 baht a day!

Local bus is around 20 baht or rent car 1000 baht a day!

Mmm - not sure you take the bus from one beach area (say Kata) to another beach area (say Karon). Yes it's on the bus route, but pax only allowed to go all the way to Phuket town. Try to get on at Karon to goto Kata - no way. Really short sighted by the bus company, but hey Tuk Tuk rules bah.gif