A craving for Pecan Pie

orang37

This meat-package we reside in has been beset by strange cravings this season-of-relative-darkness ... after seven-years of being an involuntary vegan (thanks to a tongue char-broiled by 7000 rads into a tasteless affair, and a swallowing impediment from same bbq), recently it craves greasy meat, and, now ... pecan pie !

Made the serious mistake of trying to gurgitate some greasy meat: yuck ... about as tasty as crunchy sandpaper !

That leaves pecan pie to go.

Yes, the kind of pecan pie that was served at the annual pig-out-athons (family reunions) to which boy-of-me was hauled in the hot southern summers to obscure towns in somewhere-south-of-Atlanta to be kissed by strange geriatric female relatives in wheelchairs wearing thick chocolate-colored compression stockings, and smelling of hospital.

Used to be you could get great (was great as Amazing T. can come up with) pecan pie here at the Charoen Resort outlet in Tesco Lotus on the super-highway, but no longer.

Anyone know a local outery for pecan pie ?

thanks, ~o:37;

I've never had REALLY good pecan pie anywhere in Asia (other than a homemade one made by an expat in Hanoi for Christmas many years ago). However, Bake and Bite has one as good as I've had in Bangkok or Pattaya and it is not bad. It just tastes nothing like the ones mom used to make. My guess is that the ingredients for a traditional - REALLY good pecan - one are just too expensive to sell commercially here for a reasonable price.

There are lots of other REALLY good desserts around these days though. IMO, Ragu's chocolate cheesecake and caramel toffee cheesecake are at the top of the pinnacle, but The Garden and Bake and Bite have pies and cakes that are really good at a third of the price. Ragu's desserts are for special occasions in my book.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

you might try Charin Pie. it's confusing as to where they are located now as they seem to move around for some reason. but a google search will get you their telephone number and point you in the right direction. their facebook shows 20 Nimmanahaeminda Soi 17, but other searches show as many as 3 other addresses.

good luck.

• 3 eggs, well beaten,,1/2 cup brown sugar,,1 cup
  • Dump into pie shell, bake. What's the problem? Note absence of dairy, which is a health food no-no. Use lard in crust only.

Eggs and sugar but nothing unhealthy, eh? I've had many, especially in the deep south, that were so sweet my teeth hurt. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it is made here in LOS.

• 3 eggs, well beaten,,1/2 cup brown sugar,,1 cup
  • Dump into pie shell, bake. What's the problem? Note absence of dairy, which is a health food no-no. Use lard in crust only.

I also noted the absence of pecans. Lard is great in savory pies, but in something sweet, not so much. So brown sugar is a health food yes-yes but butter is a health food no-no? I think this recipe merits a bye-bye.

I've never had REALLY good pecan pie anywhere in Asia

Try the deli sandwich cafe opposite the left/north west supermarket in Mega Mall, Manila next time you are in the neighborhood. Looks just like the big one above.

Eyecatcher, what you posted looks horrible, look above for the real deal.

Edited by mat999

As an ignorant Brit; I had to google it

certainly looks like a thumbs up from me.

attachicon.gifchocolate-chip-pecan-pie-bourbon-pecan-pie-with-chocolate-ganache.jpg

I am missing something I never had.....again

You were obviously never a Supermarket shopper then ? There are dozens of them in most British Supermarkets and have been for years.

Khop Khun Maak for all the sweet responses, and the mouth-watering (if I had more natural saliva than the Gobi desert, which I don't) picture !

Let us assure you that our cravings have nothing to do with "health," as usual.

cheers, ~o:37;

• Like 1

As an ignorant Brit; I had to google it

certainly looks like a thumbs up from me.

attachicon.gifchocolate-chip-pecan-pie-bourbon-pecan-pie-with-chocolate-ganache.jpg

I am missing something I never had.....again

That is not a traditional pecan pie. It is something else with chocolate, bourbon and pecans in it. I'm sure it tastes good, but it is not the real thing where the pecan taste is more prominent. There is a photo of a REAL pecan pie earlier in the thread.

I think a previous poster was talking about lard in the pie crust. Personally, the best pie crusts I've ever had were made with Crisco vegetable shortening, but butter is really good too.

Pecans/nuts, good steaks, etc keep good in freezer, cranberries, blue berries, etc dried, keep for months in fridge. Every one of our kids bring one change of clothes (they have plenty here) and max luggage allowance is full of the most expensive/scarce items here, that they can bring. A yearly run keeps us supplied with the major '' have to have that'' and we cook up what we want.

Native pecans make the best ingrediant for pie but most sold today are paper shell, less oil thus taste. The old school, uses native pecans for pie and snacks. Its kind of like what are the best of the best questions.

Crisco was used to replace lard and its makes a good pie crust but lard is considered the best by many.

Edited by slapout

I've never had REALLY good pecan pie anywhere in Asia

Try the deli sandwich cafe opposite the left/north west supermarket in Mega Mall, Manila next time you are in the neighborhood. Looks just like the big one above.

Eyecatcher, what you posted looks horrible, look above for the real deal.

You beat me to it. Post number 2 is the real deal.

I think eyecatcher had a problem with his eye sight and typed in abortion in stead of Pecan Pie