Gasoline prices in Thailand not budging as in rest of World

Everything in Thailand is overpriced compared with America.

Indices Difference information.png Consumer Prices in Thailand are 39.26% lower than in United States

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Thailand are 43.21% lower than in United States

Rent Prices in Thailand are 51.90% lower than in United States

Restaurant Prices in Thailand are 63.62% lower than in United States

Groceries Prices in Thailand are 36.31% lower than in United States

Rent Per Month Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre US 1,026.82 $ TH 414.97 $ -59.59 %

Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre US 774.32 $ TH 220.69 $ -71.50 %

Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre US 1,735.29 $ TH 1,131.83 $ -34.78 %

Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre US 1,306.38 $ TH 561.94 $ -56.98 %

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Thailand

Someone believes this hogwash?

Wrong. Prices are not lower than $2.25 USD right now, and the median range is $2.30 to $3 (poor 'ole Los Angeles!). Gasbuddy dot com confirms it. Use the heat map and pick your favorite city or area.

I don't know where you're getting your figures but they look about right to me. Taxes of all types are outrageous in Los Angeles (for America.)

So there are 3.8 liters in a US gallon. If anyone cares enough to do more than estimate in his head, it's easy to figure out what that cost is per liter, and how many baht a liter costs with there being about 33 baht to the dollar. I'd use the $2.30 per gallon price because that's what I'm seeing.

The prices do not reflect the price of crude oil verses the refining margins including the various government taxes that existed before the price dropped to what it is.

As I said...the prices are being lowered much slower than they could if they were to follow the crude oil prices and then the refining margins, then the usual profits made by the retail outlets...then the various taxes added on.

Assuming the government taxes are not changed then the price could be notably lower.

Just saying.

Meantime the oil refiners and or the retail outlets are not obligated to lower the prices to suit the public, rather when they do lower the prices they lower the prices to suit themselves and historically lower them as slow as possible while maintaining a larger profit as long as they can.

Eventually the prices commonly settle in and then all the refiners and fuel oil retailers become competitive once again related to the cost of the crude oil and their refining margins and the retail margins.

When the prices are dropping rapidly ( considered rapidly at present ) you will see both refiners and retailers jockeying to maintain a larger spread between the costs of crude oil and the profit margins obtained on the refined petroleum products and the retail prices.

Commonly refiners sell their refined products at around a 5 % profit margin over and above their cost of crude oil feed stock and their refining cost which remains fairly consistent and then add on about 5 % profit and move the product to the retail level where retailers add a similar profit margin...before the government taxes at retail level are added on.

When the prices of oil are dropping as fast as they are they have to factor in the prices of the crude oil they paid for say 2 weeks ago that was purchased at say 4.5 % more than the current price ...so they can not immediately add on 5% margins based on the current lower price when the oil they are almost finished refining and putting out in the market comes from feedstock they paid a higher price for previously.

When they are refining oil that is bought at the current prices then that current price is factored into the average price they are paying over a 30 day period because the oil they paid a higher price for is blended with the oil they are paying the current lower prices for as they do not buy oil and then keep it separated each and every time they make a purchase of oil.

It is blended into storage as the oil delivery logistics of the crude oil feedstock is contained in storage tanks and eventually flows into the refinery.

In the case of Thailand this is more acute because nearly all of the oil comes by way of tanker shipments....so they buy today ( Most of it brokered through Singapore brokers )...but delivery is not until a week or 10 days later.

If the price of crude oil falls 10 dollars in the week to 10 days since they paid for 1.5 million barrels of crude oil purchased 10 days previously and delivered 10 days later the refiners will still be refining oil at the price they paid for it, 10 days earlier...while the price may fall even further while they are refining the feedstock that is coming intermittently and therefore being blended as new oil with a new price while topping up previous oil in storage having a lower or higher price.

Anyhow the prices here are not following as closely as the prices do in the North American markets and I am certain the government is intervening to keep the prices up higher than they would be if they followed the same trend in other countries.

But like one reader wrote the prices here are notably lower than the prices in many other countries that have no refining capacity and or the government really adds on the taxes more so than most other countries.

Cheers

You wrote, "Anyhow the prices here are not following as closely as the prices do in the North American markets and I am certain the government is intervening to keep the prices up higher than they would be if they followed the same trend in other countries."

Prove it. A link or something besides your opinion. Has Thailand added anymore taxes? How would the government intervene if not adding taxes?

Anyway, nice post but no facts to support your opinion.

Then what would be your take on why the prices are higher than they should be ..or could be relative to the prices of crude oil.

If say 2 months from now the prices stabilize at say 60.00 US per barrel then the retail price of fuels should settle in at a lower price than it is now.

You tell me then why the prices are still high.

It would not be all that difficult for the government to coordinate with the refineries ( not that many of them ) and retailers to bring down the prices slowly rather them let them fall faster and closer to the cost of crude oil.

Keep in mind what was pointed out before about the prices they pay for oil previously purchased verses a new price, certainly on a weekly basis.

This is Thailand, remember ,and it should not come as any surprise the government is doing its part to keep up the prices rather than let them fall naturally as they are in other countries.

Have the prices come down...yes they have...that is good for consumers.

Have the prices come down to reflect an almost 40 % drop in crude oil prices.....No they have not as compared to a number of other countries.

Cheers

In summary, the people complaining how the prices aren't dropping *as much THEY want them to drop* are also the same who aren't saying anything when petrol prices in Thailand are maintained at reasonable levels when they shoot up globally (this being achieved thanks to the buffer fund that was previously explained, and which those same people didn't pay attention to.)

Daffy Duck

I am paying attention......

Meantime adding some other factors into the equation trying to realize why the prices are what they are.

You are correct that Thailand does not have overly high prices on their refined petroleum prodcuts....in part because they have a refinery industry in Thailand.

They do import a certain amount of refined petroleum products from Singapore.

That being the case I am certain those who are importing the refined petroleum products form Singapore are making some extra profit right now.

Unless the government has added on some new import taxes then those refined petroleum product traders are buying at the current prices in Singapore and bringing the products to Thailand and making a larger profit spread than before...relative to the prices of retail fuels being sold here in Thailand verses what they would be presently paying for the products in Singapore.

I am not complaining about the prices...just trying to understand the market at present

Cheers

Cost me 1300 to fill the Fortuner today. It wasn't empty, but way down. Have paid nearly 2k in the past.

What's the relevance of filling "the Fortuner" specifically, is that something different from other cars that requires differentiation?

People that drive cars that they own often refer to them by brand or model name. People that don't own cars usually don't understand this, and attempt to passive-aggressively make some kind of class-difference statement about it.

Sweet baby jesus, it's just a crappy SUV. Surely nobody thinks it's a hiso car?? Now, my 2nd car, that is another thing..

Cost me 1300 to fill the Fortuner today. It wasn't empty, but way down. Have paid nearly 2k in the past.

What's the relevance of filling "the Fortuner" specifically, is that something different from other cars that requires differentiation?

People that drive cars that they own often refer to them by brand or model name. People that don't own cars usually don't understand this, and attempt to passive-aggressively make some kind of class-difference statement about it.

Sweet baby jesus, it's just a crappy SUV. Surely nobody thinks it's a hiso car?? Now, my 2nd car, that is another thing..

Its just a pick up with a bit more roof and and few extra seats, I bought mine as simply it was the best suited vehicle for Thai roads, can get a lot in it, the engine, gearbox etc are pretty indestructible, had mind 6 years now and its never missed a beat

My first preference would have been a land cruiser but far too expensive in Thailand for what they are

not even close to being hiso SUV, if you want one of those, BMW X 5 or the Porsche are the "hiso" SUV's

Gas and oil are scarce commodities which are rapidly running out. They are also full of harmful pollutants which are destroying the Earth's ecology and human health. Double the tax on fuel for private vehicles, pro rata, across the globe and tell the able bodied to walk, get a bicycle. We'd save the planet, countless lives and billions in health costs.

They are not running out ,finding more all the time ,as for walking or taking your bike ,i used to work 20 miles from where i worked ,what do you suggest ,walking or cycling to work every day ? i think my lycra shorts would have worn out quickly . i just love people like you ,what planet do you live on ,and do you live in a yurt" by the way when you came to Thailand did you walk or cycle here?biggrin.png

• Like 1

Gas and oil are scarce commodities which are rapidly running out. They are also full of harmful pollutants which are destroying the Earth's ecology and human health. Double the tax on fuel for private vehicles, pro rata, across the globe and tell the able bodied to walk, get a bicycle. We'd save the planet, countless lives and billions in health costs.

They are not running out ,finding more all the time ,as for walking or taking your bike ,i used to work 20 miles from where i worked ,what do you suggest ,walking or cycling to work every day ? i think my lycra shorts would have worn out quickly . i just love people like you ,what planet do you live on ,and do you live in a yurt" by the way when you came to Thailand did you walk or cycle here?biggrin.png

This true but issue is cost of extraction, the reserves being found now are technically more difficult to get at, will hydrocarbons run out in the foreseeable future ? No will they become more expensive ? Oh yes

What is happening right now is just a blip on the radar similar to 2008, the price will be back to circa 100 US a barrel before you know it

• Like 1

This true but issue is cost of extraction, the reserves being found now are technically more difficult to get at, will hydrocarbons run out in the foreseeable future ? No will they become more expensive ? Oh yes

What is happening right now is just a blip on the radar similar to 2008, the price will be back to circa 100 US a barrel before you know it

According to some publications there is an estimated 110 million barrels a day of oil flow available ....IF the reserves were to be fully opened and let the oil flow.

But that can not happen as there is not enough related infrastructure in place to transport and or contain and or process 110 million barrels of oil per day....neither is the demand there ......which remains sluggish at around 85.5 million barrels per day being consumed.

Asia , South America and Africa are the 3 places where there has been notable growth in the consumption of oil and refined petroleum products while North America is fading back slightly ..or certainly not what it could consume if the economic conditions were much better.

There is no shortage of oil ..at present ...and into the predictable future

There has been a decade of somewhat frenzied oil exploration and oil production development in various parts of the world ( Angola for example ) and now the players are eager to sell their product while everyone has to compete in a supply and demand market place.

Canada now has nearly 2 million barrels of heavy oil production while crude oil production in the USA has increased notably from 10 years of exploration and drilling and production development and finally ready to be sold in volumes....but sold to a sluggish world wide economy ( certainly in the USA ) so now there is considered a glut of oil available in the North American market.

That USA market and its present supply end conditions has a large and direct effect on the international prices of oil.

Meantime it will be a long time into the future before the use of oil, as a means of combustion energy, fades away in favor of alternative sources of energy for the average consumer who buys oil related products that sustains the oil industry and the related petrochemical industries.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

You wrote, "Anyhow the prices here are not following as closely as the prices do in the North American markets and I am certain the government is intervening to keep the prices up higher than they would be if they followed the same trend in other countries."

Prove it. A link or something besides your opinion. Has Thailand added anymore taxes? How would the government intervene if not adding taxes?

Then what would be your take on why the prices are higher than they should be ..or could be relative to the prices of crude oil.

If say 2 months from now the prices stabilize at say 60.00 US per barrel then the retail price of fuels should settle in at a lower price than it is now.

It would not be all that difficult for the government to coordinate with the refineries ( not that many of them ) and retailers to bring down the prices slowly rather them let them fall faster and closer to the cost of crude oil.

Keep in mind what was pointed out before about the prices they pay for oil previously purchased verses a new price, certainly on a weekly basis.

This is Thailand, remember ,and it should not come as any surprise the government is doing its part to keep up the prices rather than let them fall naturally as they are in other countries.

Have the prices come down to reflect an almost 40 % drop in crude oil prices.....No they have not as compared to a number of other countries.

Cheers

Just admit you were wrong and you have no proof that the government of Thailand is manipulating prices.

You wrote, "As I said...the prices are being lowered much slower than they could if they were to follow the crude oil prices and then the refining margins, then the usual profits made by the retail outlets...then the various taxes added on. Assuming the government taxes are not changed then the price could be notably lower."

Since you have submitted no proof that the government has increased taxes you are in error. Start a rumor of government intervention in the oil market someplace where people don't ask for proof of ridiculous assertions.

You wrote, "This is Thailand, remember ,and it should not come as any surprise the government is doing its part to keep up the prices rather than let them fall naturally as they are in other countries."

Some proof other than your assertions. Since there have been no new taxes how does the government keep prices up?

I guess that you live in a city where nothing is delivered to any of the shops you use by a diesel powered vehicle, all the public transport is either electric or LNG/LPG powered and is available 24/7. Where nobody is old or unable to walk far.

Welcome to rural Thailand where goods are delivered sometimes in a truck powered by LNG/LPG but a lot of times by a diesel truck. Where public transport is not always available or goes to where you want to go, where there are NO electic transportation lines and the nearest railway station is 125km away. To the real world of farming which strangely enough is run on diesel powered tractors and etans who actually produce a lot of the food that you eat. Where you get to the market by motorcycle (gasoline powered) or a diesel pickup truck, where the food cars (diesel pickups) are on the roads every day selling meat, vegetables and other sundries every day.

Where the nearest hospital is 15km away by motorbike or pickup truck.

What you seem to forget is that Thailand is NOT just a big cirt like BKKor CM etc but a large number of small villages with cities few and far between.

Come out of your holier than thou ivory tower and face the real world.

• Like 2

Everything in Thailand is overpriced compared with America.

Indices Difference information.png Consumer Prices in Thailand are 39.26% lower than in United States

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Thailand

Someone believes this hogwash?

Everyone except you. But feel free to post a reputable source comparing the countries of the USA and Thailand that finds it less expensive to live in the USA. I know normally you like to cherry pick but try and find a source that compares the two countries. I'll repeat it one more time. Compare countries.

For gas Thailand is 47 from the top and the USA is 51.

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/best-and-worst//highest-gas-prices-countries

Edited by thailiketoo

Cheers

Just admit you were wrong and you have no proof that the government of Thailand is manipulating prices.

You wrote, "As I said...the prices are being lowered much slower than they could if they were to follow the crude oil prices and then the refining margins, then the usual profits made by the retail outlets...then the various taxes added on. Assuming the government taxes are not changed then the price could be notably lower."

Since you have submitted no proof that the government has increased taxes you are in error. Start a rumor of government intervention in the oil market someplace where people don't ask for proof of ridiculous assertions.

You wrote, "This is Thailand, remember ,and it should not come as any surprise the government is doing its part to keep up the prices rather than let them fall naturally as they are in other countries."

Some proof other than your assertions. Since there have been no new taxes how does the government keep prices up?

I do not need to prove anything you.

Oh...I understand now....you are an Advanced Member .......so that makes you all knowing ...is that what you are implying.

How about you prove to the readers that is not the case and show the readers proof of other factors...the other factors that you are implying.

Tell us why exactly the current prices of fuels are down around 12 % when the current price of crude oil is down 40 %

Also, I did not say that the government has increased the taxes as there is more to it than just the tax related issues here.

What I said is the government is doing what it can to maintain higher prices rather than let the prices fall more than they have, which is not reflecting a 40 percent drop in crude oil prices.

Have the prices for the retail fuels come down to even 30 percent less????

As I was saying...just saying ......and that is based on my opinion and my knowledge gained from 35 years involvement in the oil related industries.

You can look it up yourself as to why and how the prices of crude oil fall and rise and the why and how refined petroleum products rise and fall with the prices of crude oil to get a better sense of why the prices of crude oil have fallen 40 % but the prices of refined petroleum products here in Thailand are not falling as low as they should be or could be.

And you think there is no one or any entity at all trying to keep up the higher prices here in Thailand???..........Really...and how long have you been here in Thailand???

Meantime I guess you believe the rumors about the police force being corrupted are just that...........rumors.

Cheers and have yourself a fine day.

Edited by gemguy

How about you prove to the readers that is not the case and show the readers proof of other factors...the other factors that you are implying.

Also, I did not say that the government has increased the taxes as there is more to it than just the tax related issues here.

What I said is the government is doing what it can to maintain higher prices rather than let the prices fall more than they have to which is not reflecting a 40 percent drop in crude oil prices.

As I was saying...just saying ......and that is based on my opinion and my knowledge gained from 35 years involvement in the oil related industries.

You can look it up yourself as to why and how the prices of crude oil fall and rise and the why and how refined petroleum products rise and fall with the prices of crude oil to get a better sense of why the prices of crude oil have fallen 40 % but the prices of refined petroleum products here in Thailand are not falling as low as they should be or could be.

And you think there is no one or any entity at all trying to keep up the higher prices here in Thailand???..........Really...and how long have you been here in Thailand???

Meantime I guess you believe the rumors about the police force being corrupted are just that...rumors.

You wrote, "I do not need to prove anything you.......

And you think there is no one or any entity at all trying to keep up the higher prices here in Thailand???..........Really...and how long have you been here in Thailand???"

Russell wrote that if he claims that a teapot orbits the Sun somewhere in space between the Earth and Mars, it is nonsensical for him to expect others to believe him on the grounds that they cannot prove him wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

It does not fall on me to prove your fantasy assertions. You made the assertions. It is up to you to support them or admit you made them up.

PS I got to Thailand the first time in 1968 to assist in the construction of oil and gas facilities among other things.

What I said is the government is doing what it can to maintain higher prices rather than let the prices fall more than they have to which is not reflecting a 40 percent drop in crude oil prices.

Meantime I guess you believe the rumors about the police force being corrupted are just that...rumors.

And you think there is no one or any entity at all trying to keep up the higher prices here in Thailand???..........Really...and how long have you been here in Thailand???"

Russell wrote that if he claims that a teapot orbits the Sun somewhere in space between the Earth and Mars, it is nonsensical for him to expect others to believe him on the grounds that they cannot prove him wrong.

It does not fall on me to prove your fantasy assertions. You made the assertions. It is up to you to support them or admit you made them up.

PS I got to Thailand the first time in 1968 to assist in the construction of oil and gas facilities among other things.

Then prove to me that is not the case ...prove to the readers that the government has nothing at all to do with maintaining the higher prices.

There are others that have pointed out the government oil funding programs....call them on their assertions also

You are the one wanting those assertions to be proved wrong...so prove it wrong.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Then prove to me that is not the case ...prove to the readers that the government has nothing at all to do with maintaining the higher prices.

There are others that have pointed out the government oil funding programs....call them on their assertions also

You are the one wanting those assertions to be proved wrong...so prove it wrong.

Cheers

You wrote. "And you think there is no one or any entity at all trying to keep up the higher prices here in Thailand???..........Really...and how long have you been here in Thailand???"

It is not up to me to disprove your assertions. You wrote it first. Not me. I did not assert anything.

If you say the moon is made of cheese it is not up to me to prove otherwise. That is Russell's teapot.

You first made the assertion you bear the burden of proof.

Cheers

You wrote. "And you think there is no one or any entity at all trying to keep up the higher prices here in Thailand???..........Really...and how long have you been here in Thailand???"

It is not up to me to disprove your assertions. You wrote it first. Not me. I did not assert anything.

If you say the moon is made of cheese it is not up to me to prove otherwise. That is Russell's teapot.

I do not waste my time trying to prove anything to people such as yourself.

This forum is not about proving anything to you or anyone else to boost your ego or their ego.

Meantime if you want to be a little bit more mature you can tell the readers your thoughts and beliefs as to why the price of fuel in Thailand is higher than it should or could be.

Your all knowing insight may be helpful...maybe....as we have not heard your thoughts...just your small minded criticisms...for the record...OK.

Then, after you provide your input then someone else can challenge you to prove what you have said if they think you are wrong and then you can jump through the same hoops that you request others to do.

Meantime, for the record, I am certain there is government intervention while they do not want the prices of retail fuels to drop that much and or that fast.

It would be in their best interests to keep the prices up rather than let them fall down even further.

Some would argue and justify that the loss of revenues to the Government would or could effect the economy in certain sectors if the revenues decline all the more.

Meantime the government officials do not have the best interests of the public in mind in some aspects of what they do concerning the regulation and price structuring of the oil industry here in Thailand.

I bet you would argue that none of the boards of directors on any of the Oil companies and or Refinery operations include any retired military officials or active politicians on the board of directors....none at all ..right.

Cheers.

This forum is not about proving anything to you or anyone else to boost your ego or their ego.

Meantime if you want to be a little bit more mature you can tell the readers your thoughts and beliefs as to why the price of fuel in Thailand is higher than it should or could be.

Your all knowing insight may be helpful...maybe....as we have not heard your thoughts...just your small minded criticisms...for the record...OK.

Then, after you provide your input then someone else can challenge you to prove what you have said if they think you are wrong and then you can jump through the same hoops that you request others to do.

Meantime, for the record, I am certain there is government intervention while they do not want the prices of retail fuels to drop that much and or that fast.

It would be in their best interests to keep the prices up rather than let them fall down even further.

Some would argue and justify that the loss of revenues to the Government would or could effect the economy in certain sectors if the revenues decline all the more.

Meantime the government officials do not have the best interests of the public in mind in some aspects of what they do concerning the regulation and price structuring of the oil industry here in Thailand.

I bet you would argue that none of the boards of directors on any of the Oil companies and or Refinery operations include any retired military officials or active politicians on the board of directors....none at all ..right.

Cheers.

You wrote, "I am certain there is government intervention while they do not want the prices of retail fuels to drop that much and or that fast." That is nonsense. If you can prove it go ahead.

From 1979-1990, the Government had regulated retail prices of all types of petroleum products both imported and domestic. Then in 1991, regulations to control retail prices of Gasoline, Kerosene, Diesel and Fuel oil were abrogated and free competition was allowed in the market. The only type of petroleum product that is still being regulated today (up until 31 December 2000) is Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG).

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/thailand-oil-fund-to-end-cm83883#ixzz3LP5S3tpM

If you have any interest in the truth read about Thailand's Oil Stabilization fund. As another poster has already suggested.

http://www.eia.gov/countries/analysisbriefs/Thailand/thailand.pdf

Cheers.

You wrote, "I am certain there is government intervention while they do not want the prices of retail fuels to drop that much and or that fast." That is nonsense. If you can prove it go ahead.

From 1979-1990, the Government had regulated retail prices of all types of petroleum products both imported and domestic. Then in 1991, regulations to control retail prices of Gasoline, Kerosene, Diesel and Fuel oil were abrogated and free competition was allowed in the market. The only type of petroleum product that is still being regulated today (up until 31 December 2000) is Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG).

If you have any interest in the truth read about Thailand's Oil Stabilization fund. As another poster has already suggested.

I have read that already and as Far as I can surmise those policies were implemented to keep the prices at the pump stabilized and not over priced...unless I am reading the info wrong and not understanding what those articles say or imply.

What that article does not include is how the government can bring back regulations if need be.

Meantime there is no official website information explaining to the public what the government is doing at present or would be doing when the prices of oil fall to say 30 dollars a barrel and stay down there.

Then the government would not realize hundreds of millions of dollars in lost revenues if the tax structure is based on the retail prices of fuels at say 15 Baht to 20 Baht per liter.

If you look at the price of crude oil, presently at approximately 63 US per barrel ( seen on the NYMEX ) and it settles in around the $ 60 dollars a barrel mark then you should see the price of gasoline, for example, fall to around 27 to 30 baht per liter....maybe even less in a truly free market place where refiners are seriously competing with one another to move their volumes of refined petroleum products.

That would be in a fair market where all refiners are paying the same or similar prices for the crude oil feedstock while obtaining the well known refinery margins of around 5%, commonly, with some market conditions allowing them to make up to 10 percent .....sometimes.

If the price of retail fuels do not come down to those lower levels and reflect the prices of crude oil then I would say there is something going on that is not exactly transparent while the government can and or could control the prices to keep the prices up in a similar way they controlled the prices in years gone by to keep the retail prices stabile and not overly inflated.

You do the math and you come to realize the prices are considerably higher than they should or could be relative to free market competition based on a 40 % decline in crude oil prices over the last 5 to 6 months.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Cheers.

I have read that already and as Far as I can surmise those policies were implemented to keep the prices at the pump stabilized and not over priced...unless I am reading the info wrong and not understanding what those articles say or imply.

What that article does not include is how the government can bring back regulations if need be.

Meantime there is no official website information explaining to the public what the government is doing at present or would be doing when the prices of oil fall to say 30 dollars a barrel and stay down there.

Then the government would not realize hundreds of millions of dollars in lost revenues if the tax structure is based on the retail prices of fuels at say 15 Baht to 20 Baht per liter.

If you look at the price of crude oil, presently at approximately 63 US per barrel ( seen on the NYMEX ) and it settles in around the $ 60 dollars a barrel mark then you should see the price of gasoline, for example, fall to around 27 to 30 baht per liter....maybe even less in a truly free market place where refiners are seriously competing with one another to move their volumes of refined petroleum products.

That would be in a fair market where all refiners are paying the same or similar prices for the crude oil feedstock while obtaining the well known refinery margins of around 5%, commonly, with some market conditions allowing them to make up to 10 percent .....sometimes.

If the price of retail fuels do not come down to those lower levels and reflect the prices of crude oil then I would say there is something going on that is not exactly transparent while the government can and or could control the prices to keep the prices up in a similar way they controlled the prices in years gone by to keep the retail prices stabile and not overly inflated.

You do the math and you come to realize the prices are considerably higher than they should or could be relative to free market competition based on a 40 % decline in crude oil prices over the last 5 to 6 months.

Cheers

Lots of words you have written but the simple fact is they are slowly reducing prices and at the same time filling the coffers of the oil fund for when the prices take off again and trust me they will, my prediction back at the circa 100 USD barrel 3-6 months or there a bouts, similar happened in 2008

There is nothing under handed going on, just common sense fiscal practice to replenish the coffers, but if you insist on wearing the tin foil hat and advocate conspiracy theories please go ahead and knock yourself out

Cheers

The following countries have higher fuel prices than Thailand. Are they all in cahoots?

Norway Netherlands Italy Denmark Greece Belgium Portugal Germany

Turkey Finland Israel Hong Kong United Kingdom Ireland

France Sweden Slovenia Malta Cyprus

Slovakia Switzerland Spain Croatia

Romania Austria Hungary Luxembourg

New Zealand Latvia Czech Republic

Lihuania Bulgaria Estonia

Poland Souh Korea Singapore

Japan Chile Brazil

Argentina Australia Souh Africa

India China Canada

Philippines

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/best-and-worst//highest-gas-prices-countries

Cheers

The following countries have higher fuel prices than Thailand. Are they all in cahoots?

Turkey Finland Israel Hong Kong United Kingdom Ireland

France Sweden Slovenia Malta Cyprus

Slovakia Switzerland Spain Croatia

Romania Austria Hungary Luxembourg

New Zealand Latvia Czech Republic

Lihuania Bulgaria Estonia

Poland Souh Korea Singapore

Japan Chile Brazil

Argentina Australia Souh Africa

India China Canada

Philippines

You are a bit of a slooooooow learner.

Because Those countries have higher operating costs , they have higher taxes ( much, much higher in many cases ), they have higher import levies, they have no refineries in many cases, they have higher corporate taxation structures, they have higher wages and a long list of reasons why they have high prices at the pump.

Meantime that point was not the original subject matter so you have driven the whole subject matter of course...as you are now off in left field in defense of your submission.

We are talking about why is it exactly the prices of fuel in Thailand ( not other countries ) do not reflect the current prices of crude oil relative to a "said to be" free market, with no government controls or regulations or intervention that would or could keep the prices higher than they should be or could be.

Believe me I am a defender of the oil industry and never complain about the oil companies and the usual criticisms that people commonly have to say about the oil industry, as I have been involved in the industry since 1980.

Meantime I am adamant that the slow fall in the price of refined petroleum products, here in Thailand ( not other countries ) is by way of the industry and the regulators of that industry maintaining the higher prices and not allowing them to free fall as could happen if there was a truly competitive market.

That is my take on why the retail fuel prices do not reflect the current 40% drop in crude oil prices.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Turkey Finland Israel Hong Kong United Kingdom Ireland France Sweden Slovenia Malta

Cyprus Slovakia Switzerland Spain Croatia Romania Austria Hungary Luxembourg

New Zealand Latvia Czech Republic Lihuania Bulgaria Estonia Poland Souh Korea Singapore

Japan Chile Brazil Argentina Australia Souh Africa

India China Canada Philippines

You are a bit of a slooooooow learner.

Because Those countries have higher operating costs , they have higher taxes ( much, much higher in many cases ), they have higher import levies, they have no refineries in many cases, they have higher corporate taxation structures, they have higher wages and a long list of reasons why they have high prices at the pump.

Meantime that point was not the original subject matter so you have driven the whole subject matter of course...as you are now off in left field in defense of your submission.

We are talking about why is it exactly the prices of fuel in Thailand ( not other countries ) do not reflect the current prices of crude oil relative to a "said to be" free market, with no government controls or regulations or intervention that would or could keep the prices higher than they should be or could be.

Believe me I am a defender of the oil industry and never complain about the oil companies and the usual criticisms that people commonly have to say about the oil industry, as I have been involved in the industry since 1980.

Meantime I am adamant that the slow fall in the price of refined petroleum products, here in Thailand ( not other countries ) is by way of the industry and the regulators of that industry maintaining the higher prices and not allowing them to free fall as could happen if there was a truly competitive market.

That is my take on why the retail fuel prices do not reflect the current 40% drop in crude oil prices.

Cheers

Higher taxes mean government manipulation. Thailand's government is not manipulating prices as can be demonstrated by the number of countries above.

If you have any evidence to the contrary feel free to post it.

If you are going to compare Fuel prices in Thailand to any other country you have to take in competition or lack thereof, in securing leases, production, transport and sale of produced oil, refining charge (not to be confused with cost), transport of refined product to retail pumps, subsquent sale to consumer.

If you will look at the intials PTT, you may find they have a position in Thailand that would be the envy of many private/public oil companies. The throw in political figures who hold substantial shares in Ptt companies as well as setting oil fund legistation, tax rates and collection and you have a conflict of intrest since the system was hatched.

The addmision that several billion baht in tax revenue had been pocketed by oversight groups, at the retail pump outlets due to different tax rates on fuels (lpg, different petrol grades, etc) should be enough evidence for even the most uninformed.