Gasoline prices in Thailand not budging as in rest of World

Why have the prices throughout the world dropped substantially and here in Thailand they seem to be remaining the same. The price of gasoline in the USA has dropped to less than $2.00 per gallon. That equates to 15 baht per liter. In Thailand pricing are still double that.

• Like 2

Cost me 1300 to fill the Fortuner today. It wasn't empty, but way down. Have paid nearly 2k in the past.

What's the relevance of filling "the Fortuner" specifically, is that something different from other cars that requires differentiation?

• Like 2

OP, in the USA the federal tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon. Each state also has its own tax which varies. Let's think of 30 cents per gallon which is my state. These taxes are levied primarily to build and maintain roads.

Many other countries levy taxes for things far beyond road costs. In many countries the taxes on gasoline will far exceed the pump price for the same thing in the US. The price of gas will never drop below the total of taxes and the dealer's cost.

The US is a free market economy and it shows at the gas pump. There are many independent drillers, refiners, and gasoline retailers. There is competition at each level.

When you buy a gallon of gas (3.8 liters) you might be paying 50 cents in taxes leaving the supply chain a lot of room to lower prices. Lower them they will too, to compete.

Anyone who hasn't been to the country with the world's 3rd largest population and the largest economy by far is the one who lack "worldliness." He hasn't seen the country with the world's largest usable land mass and 88,000 miles of saltwater shoreline.

In short, he just can't fathom it.

• Like 2

Cost me 1300 to fill the Fortuner today. It wasn't empty, but way down. Have paid nearly 2k in the past.

What's the relevance of filling "the Fortuner" specifically, is that something different from other cars that requires differentiation?

If you're trying to start an argument, it won't work. I'm far too mature for that

So why not tell us how many litres you put in and how many litres the tank holds ? I filled up my tank today

and it cost me only $ 40 AUD

Because I have no idea. I'm just going by what I normally put in the tank.

Past Thai governments have traditionally kept pump prices level and stable which is great from a consumer point of view, any surplus or shortage being accrued and an adjustment being made to pump prices only very infrequently.

Anyone who hasn't been to the country with the world's 3rd largest population and the largest economy by far is the one who lack "worldliness." He hasn't seen the country with the world's largest usable land mass and 88,000 miles of saltwater shoreline.

In short, he just can't fathom it.

You do so well, but then revert into swelled head mode. It makes one do this: saai.gif

• Like 1

Only 3 months a go, gasohol 95 was above 43 baht, now they're at 33+ that's 10 baht

down.... you do the math..

Where were you buying your gasahol 95? i was paying about 38.50 only paid over 40 for Benzol.or real petrol as our son calls it.

Only 3 months a go, gasohol 95 was above 43 baht, now they're at 33+ that's 10 baht

Where were you buying your gasahol 95? i was paying about 38.50 only paid over 40 for Benzol.or real petrol as our son calls it.

Expect ezzra is referring to Gasohol 95-E10 (with 10% ethanol) which is running around 33 baht now. But plain old Gasoline 95 (no ethanol) is running around 40 baht now.

The current government is gradually paying back all the debt in the oil fund (from previous subsidies when oil and gas prices were higher) and once the debt is paid back they go to a free floating/market pricing system. LPG is already now following market prices, no more subsidies. Soon Diesel and gasohol will follow.

the sooner they get rid of this oil fund the better. Nobody understood how it worked.

• Like 1

The politicans who set these kind of boon doggles try to keep everyone confused as to its purpose, working rules, checks/balances, etc. When the questions/oversight becomes too close to home, the program is changed rather quickly. As murcky as they try to make it, is and always has been a avenue to shift monies from 1 crook to another after passing thru various hands which are covered in stickem.

• Like 2

Expect ezzra is referring to Gasohol 95-E10 (with 10% ethanol) which is running around 33 baht now. But plain old Gasoline 95 (no ethanol) is running around 40 baht now.

As of 29 September Gasohol 95-E10 was 37.80 Baht in Thailand, never been 43 Baht or even close to that.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CC4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdoc-eppo.eppo.go.th%2FDivPetroleum%2FInterRetailPetPrice.ppt&ei=HUmFVImdEcHkuQS5roDADQ&usg=AFQjCNHl3KKXMQb4dNDIpDMI2N1qhPPoKA&sig2=Bz1mBHubcFAn1nwIl4N38g&bvm=bv.80642063,d.c2E&cad=rja

91 was this year as high as 38.25 per litre not is is what 32 so why are you. Someone has to subsidize the Diesel. Plus this is not the U.S. which is where I'm from. Anyone who knows U.S. has never paid what the other people around the world has been paying! We are lucky!

I filled up my fairly large car for 1740 today.

Prices are way down.

My vehicle uses E85, cost me B1000.00 to fill on Friday. Prices are down and I'm happy with a full tank at that price. And that's for a new CRV. 91 is now just over 31.00 down from almost 39.00, so petrol has come down quite considerably.

Edited by Si Thea01