Do Asian expats moan as much as Western expats?

simon43

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, come on guys! Expats moan everywhere.

I have several friends and relatives who are expatriates living in Mexico.

We have a friendly on-going debate as to whether Mexico or Thailand is a better place to live.

In order to gather "ammunition" to support my belief that Thailand is better, I have often surfed Mexico ex-pat websites looking for people complaining about Mexico.

To my surprise, and despite Mexico having many of the same problems as Thailand (criminal activity, hot weather, corruption, crime, foreigner rip-offs, etc.), I have really found it difficult to find expatriates complaining about Mexico anywhere near to the extent people on TVF complain about Thailand.

I understand that a little griping and the occasional rant is part of human nature. But I believe there is something unusual going on here.

There is a small group of posters on TVF who seem to have very malicious, dare I say, sinister motives behind their posting activity. Their posts almost invariably have the intent of denigrating Thais and Thailand, or willfully trying to demoralize the expatriate community living here. This goes far beyond what most would consider normal occasional venting.

A most strange way indeed to spend your days, but sadly you see this on a daily basis here.

Edited by Gecko123

There is a small group of posters on TVF who seem to have very malicious, dare I say, sinister motives behind their posting activity. Their posts almost invariably have the intent of denigrating Thais and Thailand, or willfully trying to demoralize the expatriate community living here. This goes far beyond what most would consider normal occasional venting.

A most strange way indeed to spend your days, but sadly you see this on a daily basis here.

I think some people came to Thailand and failed to achieve the happy lifestyle they thought they would. So now they want to try to make sure nobody else succeeds where they failed.

Its my experience of Asian expats in other countries or even Asians in Bkk..when they get ripped off they have a laugh.

I see them buy something and if it breaks an hour later they laugh at it.certainly wouldnt even try to get money back or return.

Whereas mant farang whinge when they get ripped for 20 baht.

classic example on thaivisa some time ago.. a guy who got to much ice in the drink at cinema..enough steam to go for 15-20 pages or so.

i usually buy shorts or jeans at market and the button or zip breaks a few days later..thai GF will always laugh and say som num na for kon kee niow or some such thing...

then i send her down to old lady on the street to fix for 30baht :0)

We have a friendly on-going debate as to whether Mexico or Thailand is a better place to live.

In order to gather "ammunition" to support my belief that Thailand is better, I have often surfed Mexico ex-pat websites looking for people complaining about Mexico.

To my surprise, and despite Mexico having many of the same problems as Thailand (criminal activity, hot weather, corruption, crime, foreigner rip-offs, etc.), I have really found it difficult to find expatriates complaining about Mexico anywhere near to the extent people on TVF complain about Thailand.

I understand that a little griping and the occasional rant is part of human nature. But I believe there is something unusual going on here.

Agree with you. Why do you think they are so vindictive?

I mean, I could say the beach was dirty but here it would be the beach was disgustingly filthy, inhabited by rabid soi dogs only outdone in filthiness by the hookers and other scum of this den of iniquity.

Whenever I see someone expressing bitterness there's usually an emotional component to it. This leads me to suspect that most often the bitterness stems from romantic disappointment, sometimes business failure as well.

I hasten to add that I have experienced great romantic disappointment in Thailand as well, so I know what this can feel like.

Anyone who has gone through this I hope will look for ways to learn from the experience and move forward in their lives.

Edited by Gecko123

Whenever I see someone expressing bitterness there's usually an emotional component to it. This leads me to suspect that most often the bitterness stems from romantic disappointment, sometimes business failure as well.

I hasten to add that I have experienced great romantic disappointment in Thailand as well, so I know what this can feel like.

Anyone who has gone through this I hope will look for ways to learn from the experience and move forward in their lives.

I have had three absolutely devastating romantic experiences. One in the USA, one in Canada and one in France/Italy. But I don't hate the US or Canada and I still love Italian and French food and wine. My advice is to have life threatening experiences they make one appreciate living.

• Like 2

I have had three absolutely devastating romantic experiences. One in the USA, one in Canada and one in France/Italy. But I don't hate the US or Canada and I still love Italian and French food and wine. My advice is to have life threatening experiences they make one appreciate living.

Very well put!