Reports emerging of police drug testing scam in Bangkok

webfact

Well,,, maybe it's slacked off during the daytime,,, but riding home last night,, there were MORE than previous nights, stopping/searching in the area of Suk 21-25ish?,,,(assuming drunk driving was the original excuse to stop people)... I see them there all the time, nightly,, but last night I actually thought there was a traffic accident because there were SO many, and they had both left lanes blocked,,,

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings,

Good news, I'm at the Asoke intersection on a daily basis and I haven't seen the policemen for the past 2 weeks! We expats and tourists must unite and help each other to minimize harassment, so keep our eyes and ears focused on the policemen and report all the annoying activities to Thaivisa Forum!

Stop bickering and assist each other to eliminate further harassment from the police!

That's good news. Thanks for keeping people informed rather than the infighting that's been going on. I've got a 3 day trip to Bangkok in Mid Jan and have been thinking of cancelling because of the harassment. I really would like to still go so the signs are good.

Seriously? Cancelling a trip over this would be a ridiculous over-reaction. It's fine here. Make sure you carry your passport or a copy. Make sure you don't carry any drugs. Enjoy your trip.

Oh dear, I'm booked into Hotel in Soi 11. Looks like it's straight to Hua Hin then. Appreciate all the up to date advice though.

booked into suk-soi 24, I shall follow you down will get the direct airport bus .and go direct to the airport on the way back.

Greetings,

Good news, I'm at the Asoke intersection on a daily basis and I haven't seen the policemen for the past 2 weeks! We expats and tourists must unite and help each other to minimize harassment, so keep our eyes and ears focused on the policemen and report all the annoying activities to Thaivisa Forum!

Stop bickering and assist each other to eliminate further harassment from the police!

That's good news. Thanks for keeping people informed rather than the infighting that's been going on. I've got a 3 day trip to Bangkok in Mid Jan and have been thinking of cancelling because of the harassment. I really would like to still go so the signs are good.

Seriously? Cancelling a trip over this would be a ridiculous over-reaction. It's fine here. Make sure you carry your passport or a copy. Make sure you don't carry any drugs. Enjoy your trip.

I go to Bangkok to shop and party no way do I want to be made to do a piss test when i am pissed I may well tell them to <deleted> off and that would not go down well.if it goes on no more Bangkok for me and that will mean I will go to canbodia/vietnam/mynaama/ I not cancell i will go somewhere else.

Greetings,

I'm not cancelling my trip. I usually do a few days in BKK and then a beach holiday in Hua Hin, still going to HH. Just don't need to be hassled especially by the police when I'm on holiday. I don't need to go to BKK just enjoy it there. I know Bangkok is not reliant on tourism but if enough tourists stay away the word may eventually get to the people who can make this intrusion stop. In a way it's a boycott maybe others will do likewise.

Greetings,

I'm 90% cancelling. I never carry drugs but the chances they might be in my system mean I would never risk a piss test that could lead to a Thai jail. At 60 years old it could kill me. I have been responsible for nearly a dozen people cancelling in the last few weeks. I directed them to this site and advised them to watch Midnight Express also. They are young and just take drugs for granted. They don't want their careers ruined by bent cops using discredited laws. What would you do if you were young?

I'm 90% cancelling. I never carry drugs but the chances they might be in my system mean I would never risk a piss test that could lead to a Thai jail. At 60 years old it could kill me. I have been responsible for nearly a dozen people cancelling in the last few weeks. I directed them to this site and advised them to watch Midnight Express also. They are young and just take drugs for granted. They don't want their careers ruined by bent cops using discredited laws. What would you do if you were young?

Of course you have.

I guess compared to you I am young. What I'm doing is not worrying about it.

Greetings,

I go to Bangkok to shop and party no way do I want to be made to do a piss test when i am pissed I may well tell them to <deleted> off and that would not go down well.if it goes on no more Bangkok for me and that will mean I will go to canbodia/vietnam/mynaama/ I not cancell i will go somewhere else.

Agree with you, who needs this, holidays are to be enjoyed not looking out for the police like a criminal. If you live in BKK and get used to this type of treatment that's up to you. It's just not for me.

Agree with you, who needs this, holidays are to be enjoyed not looking out for the police like a criminal. If you live in BKK and get used to this type of treatment that's up to you. It's just not for me.

I live in Bangkok and I haven't needed to get used to any kind of treatment. I've had precisely one interaction with the police in two years - which cost me no more than a couple of minutes of my time.

I live in Bangkok and I haven't needed to get used to any kind of treatment. I've had precisely one interaction with the police in two years - which cost me no more than a couple of minutes of my time.

Bully for you.

I was just in thonglor walking down the street and 2 police men looked at me!

Lucky it wasnt far to my computer to post about it and warn others

What, directly at you?

Right, that's it. I'm moving to Vietnam.

Lucky for me they were fresh out of drug testing kits and drugs for planting and not a single baht more could fit into their bulging pockets.

I wasn't referring particularly to you but all westerners living there having to put up with this in general. We're getting mixed messages here though a bit.

Is it bad right now or not, there are many reports that it is really bad at present. I like coming to BKK but I want a hassle free few days on holiday.

I always carry my passport in BKK but I don't like the idea of pissing into a cup or getting spot fined for doing nothing wrong.

PS never touched drugs so should pass any test..............shouldn't I?

I wasn't referring particularly to you but all westerners living there having to put up with this in general. We're getting mixed messages here though a bit.

Is it bad right now or not, there are many reports that it is really bad at present.

No. It's not bad.

Is it bad right now or not, there are many reports that it is really bad at present. I like coming to BKK but I want a hassle free few days on holiday.

I always carry my passport in BKK but I don't like the idea of pissing into a cup or getting spot fined for doing nothing wrong.

PS never touched drugs so should pass any test..............shouldn't I?

Ya.. you "should"... unless they're looking for $$$$$

Jeeeez... so many on here.. saying.. "nothing ever happened to me.... therefore.. NOTHING is happening"..... guys... it IS happening.... So either those of us saying it's happening are lying... or those of us saying it's NOT happening are lying..... Jeeezus......

Jeeeez... so many on here.. saying.. "nothing ever happened to me.... therefore.. NOTHING is happening"..... guys... it IS happening.... So either those of us saying it's happening are lying... or those of us saying it's NOT happening are lying..... Jeeezus......

Is this the smell of paranoia?

Decisions, decisions. To go or not to go that is the question.

Go, come in and find out biggrin.png

Already have hotel booked so would lose that so may well go. You could be right about the paranoia surrounding this. Last year I had booked before they called the snap election. Lots of people bypassed BKK because of that. I still went and had a good time no problems.

Paranoia?.... it's obviously happening BOTH ways.... so how exactly.. is that paranoia?

Of course you have.

I guess compared to you I am young. What I'm doing is not worrying about it.

No, it's the smell of negative news reports adversely affecting tourism. Otherwise known as "shooting oneself in the foot."

Ya.... "never ever happened to me... therefore... can't happen to anyone else".... I can tell you.. PERSONALLY... It's happened to me... not piss in a bottle... but stopped.. searched... asked to blow in some.. POS.. handheld.. "box" Ya..... but hasn't has happened to several that never get out.. so I must be lying... It's not happening at all.... lolol

Archived