Reports emerging of police drug testing scam in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn these corrupt policemen.....pay them a salary they can live of !! It is the yeat of 2014 and still Thailand cant Control their problems with

widespread corruption....it is so sad !!!! Another Nail in the coffin for a dying Tourist industry ! This will keep me from going to Bangkok....and my family....and my friends....and eventually all farangs !!!

That is part of the problem is that the government basically setup the system and turned a blind eye to how the police were to fund themselves. Instead of paying a good professional wage and expecting professional behaviour. They pay then low wages, make them pay for their own equipment, and they turn a blind eye to them having to raise funds themselves. They create a system where the police have to buy their way on, they have to buy their promotions and they are part of a big pyramid scheme that they collect "fees" and contribute money up the pyramid and retain some of the revenue as return on the investment. To change the system there would have to be some sort of amnesty on the low end, introduction of polygraph tests, and zero tolerance and loss of salary / pension if they return to their old ways. They have to introduce professional training, exams and make them earn their promotions. It all starts at the policy makers though. They have to create civilian boards and Internal Affairs (actually a separate police force) to police the police.... I don't see that commitment because the government never really wanted to invest in a non-corrupt police force.

Let's start with the facts....how much are the police paid at different ranks, how does that compare to the salaries of other public servants and did the police not know the conditions when they joined?

Well of course they did. They knew exactly how much they earned in wages and exactly how they would make up the rest....and for that reason there's a queue waiting to join up.

I have lived in Bangkok for thirty years. Never happened to me here. But it did happen to me on holiday in England. Didnt put me off going there unduly. The police in England always do this kind of thing in certain areas.

The police in england make people take pee tests on the road then take a bribe when they test positive?

Critics of the police say that these activities are not intended to reduce crime, but are a means to elicit bribe money from unsuspecting and often terrified tourists.

Just out of curiosity, who are these alleged critics of the police and how have they concluded that the said police activities is a scam?

Critics of the police say that these activities are not intended to reduce crime, but are a means to elicit bribe money from unsuspecting and often terrified tourists.

Just out of curiosity, who are these alleged critics of the police and how have they concluded that the said police activities is a scam?

Think you're trolling! giggle.gif

If in Bangkok why dress like a tourist ? I am sure if you wear long pants and look respectable they will not even think about stopping you.

Warn tourists to wear suits when visiting Bangkok?

If you are dressed like a tourist you are not respectable?

You and several others with similar comments are deluded.

What planet are you living on?

I get a kick outs the people commenting that they not mind being harrased by the police...?

If not doing drugs and have all documents all will be fine no problem....TOTAL BULL CRAP.....

These thieving buggers will fined a way to get your money one way or another.

Even if you are 100% in the right they will prove you wrong some how !!!

That being said,

It is a Military marshal law state now so you are guilty in there eyes just for being in there country and have to pay the price in $$$$$ for being in wrong place at wrong time.

To bad as Thailand especially that shukimvit area lots of fun and things to do for us farang, good luck out there......PAPERS PLEASE.....grrrrr

Farewell, Marshall 007

To anyone that thinks they're not at risk, have a look at this list and ask yourself...

Table 3. Substances that may cause false-positives on immunoassay urine drug screens.1-7

Drug/drug class Interfering drug Drug/drug class Interfering drug Amphetamine and Amantadine Cocaine Amoxicillin methamphetamine Brompheniramine Coca leaf teas Bupropion Tonic water Chlorpromazine Methadone Chlorpromazine Desipramine Clomipramine Desoxyephedrine Diphenhydramine Ephedrine Doxylamine Fluoxetine Ibuprofen Isometheptene Quetiapine Isoxsuprine Thioridazine Labetalol Verapamil Phentermine Opiates Dextromethorphan Phenylephrine Diphenhydramine Phenylpropanolamine Fluoroquinolonesa Promethazine Poppy seeds and oil Pseudoephedrine Rifampin Ranitidine Quinine Selegiline Phencyclidine Dextroamphetamine Thioridazine Dextromethorphan Trazodone Diphenhydramine Trimethobenzamide Doxylamine Trimipramine Ibuprofen Vicks inhalerb Imipramine Barbiturates Ibuprofen Ketamine Naproxen Meperidine Benzodiazepines Oxaprozin Thioridazine Sertraline Tramadol Cannabinoids Dronabinol Venlafaxine Efavirenz Tricyclic Carbamazepine Hemp-containing foods antidepressants Cyclobenzaprine Ibuprofen Cyproheptadine Ketoprofen Diphenhydramine Naproxen Hydroxyzine Piroxicam Quetiapine Promethazine Lyseric acid Amitriptyline Proton pump inhibitorsc diethylamine (LSD) Dicyclomine Sulindac Ergotamine Tolmetin Promethazine Sumatriptan

Source: http://dig.pharm.uic.edu/faq/2011/Feb/faq1.aspx (Formatting in the link is much better than it is here, sorry about that)

If you take or eat: You could test positive for: Ibuprofen Marijuana, barbiturates, or benzodiazepines Cold remedies Amphetamine Hay fever remedies Amphetamine Nasal decongestants Amphetamine Diet pills Amphetamine Sleep aids Barbiturates Poppy seeds* Opiates/morphine Hemp food products**

Marijuana

Source: http://health.cvs.com/GetContent.aspx?token=f75979d3-9c7c-4b16-af56-3e122a3f19e3&chunkiid=13837 (Once again, the formatting is better on the link)

Reports of false-positive results were found for the following formulary and nonprescription medications brompheniramine, bupropion, chlorpromazine, clomipramine, dextromethorphan, diphenhydramine, doxylamine, ibuprofen, naproxen, promethazine, quetiapine, quinolones (ofloxacin and gatifloxacin), ranitidine, sertraline, thioridazine, trazodone, venlafaxine, verapamil, and a nonprescription nasal inhaler. False-positive results for amphetamine and methamphetamine were the most commonly reported. False-positive results for methadone, opioids, phencyclidine, barbiturates, cannabinoids, and benzodiazepines were also reported in patients taking commonly used medications. The most commonly used tests to screen urine for drugs of abuse are immunoassays, even though false-positive results for drugs of abuse have been reported with a number of these rapid-screening products. Results from such tests should be confirmed using additional analytical methods, including gas chromatography–mass spectrometry.

Source: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/726897

I suspect the more sophisticated testing they can do at the station would clear you....after you spent the time waiting in jail for the test results, which could take days.

I came along Sukhumvit in a taxi about an hour ago, there was police loitering around the entrances to soi 5 and soi 11 with walkie talkies in hand communicating with other police officers positioned slightly further away from the entrances to the soi's, (probably eyeing up intended targets). Also a huge police presence at the major traffic lights at Asoke. I have nothing to worry about as far as testing positive for a urine sample but just their mere presence is very intimidating.

This was happening again today at around 3pm on corner of soi 11.

I came along Sukhumvit in a taxi about an hour ago, there was police loitering around the entrances to soi 5 and soi 11 with walkie talkies in hand communicating with other police officers positioned slightly further away from the entrances to the soi's, (probably eyeing up intended targets). Also a huge police presence at the major traffic lights at Asoke. I have nothing to worry about as far as testing positive for a urine sample but just their mere presence is very intimidating.

This was happening again today at around 3pm on corner of soi 11.

So, for sure I will stay away.

No need to play with fire?

Place your bets!

Better safe than sorry!

If the police involved are not stopped ASAP, the damage might be huge. The police is part of the government, and if word spreads that the Thai government is subjecting tourists to harassment, blackmail and other crimes, then it is a matter for foreign governments to intervene to protect their citizens. The TAT was talking about building Thailand's brand name as a quality tourist destination. Is this how they do it? Does the junta really accept and allow some local criminals and street thugs in police uniforms to undermine the effort so far? These "policemen" needs to be arrested.

The TAT's latest campaign. Show the world what "Thainess" really is. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't two traits of "Thainess" arrogance and corruption? coffee1.gif

To anyone that thinks they're not at risk, have a look at this list and ask yourself...

Table 3. Substances that may cause false-positives on immunoassay urine drug screens.1-7

Drug/drug class Interfering drug Drug/drug class Interfering drug Amphetamine and Amantadine Cocaine Amoxicillin methamphetamine Brompheniramine Coca leaf teas Bupropion Tonic water Chlorpromazine Methadone Chlorpromazine Desipramine Clomipramine Desoxyephedrine Diphenhydramine Ephedrine Doxylamine Fluoxetine Ibuprofen Isometheptene Quetiapine Isoxsuprine Thioridazine Labetalol Verapamil Phentermine Opiates Dextromethorphan Phenylephrine Diphenhydramine Phenylpropanolamine Fluoroquinolonesa Promethazine Poppy seeds and oil Pseudoephedrine Rifampin Ranitidine Quinine Selegiline Phencyclidine Dextroamphetamine Thioridazine Dextromethorphan Trazodone Diphenhydramine Trimethobenzamide Doxylamine Trimipramine Ibuprofen Vicks inhalerb Imipramine Barbiturates Ibuprofen Ketamine Naproxen Meperidine Benzodiazepines Oxaprozin Thioridazine Sertraline Tramadol Cannabinoids Dronabinol Venlafaxine Efavirenz Tricyclic Carbamazepine Hemp-containing foods antidepressants Cyclobenzaprine Ibuprofen Cyproheptadine Ketoprofen Diphenhydramine Naproxen Hydroxyzine Piroxicam Quetiapine Promethazine Lyseric acid Amitriptyline Proton pump inhibitorsc diethylamine (LSD) Dicyclomine Sulindac Ergotamine Tolmetin Promethazine Sumatriptan

Source: http://dig.pharm.uic.edu/faq/2011/Feb/faq1.aspx (Formatting in the link is much better than it is here, sorry about that)

If you take or eat: You could test positive for: Ibuprofen Marijuana, barbiturates, or benzodiazepines Cold remedies Amphetamine Hay fever remedies Amphetamine Nasal decongestants Amphetamine Diet pills Amphetamine Sleep aids Barbiturates Poppy seeds* Opiates/morphine Hemp food products**

Marijuana

Source: http://health.cvs.com/GetContent.aspx?token=f75979d3-9c7c-4b16-af56-3e122a3f19e3&chunkiid=13837 (Once again, the formatting is better on the link)

Reports of false-positive results were found for the following formulary and nonprescription medications brompheniramine, bupropion, chlorpromazine, clomipramine, dextromethorphan, diphenhydramine, doxylamine, ibuprofen, naproxen, promethazine, quetiapine, quinolones (ofloxacin and gatifloxacin), ranitidine, sertraline, thioridazine, trazodone, venlafaxine, verapamil, and a nonprescription nasal inhaler. False-positive results for amphetamine and methamphetamine were the most commonly reported. False-positive results for methadone, opioids, phencyclidine, barbiturates, cannabinoids, and benzodiazepines were also reported in patients taking commonly used medications. The most commonly used tests to screen urine for drugs of abuse are immunoassays, even though false-positive results for drugs of abuse have been reported with a number of these rapid-screening products. Results from such tests should be confirmed using additional analytical methods, including gas chromatography–mass spectrometry.

Source: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/726897

I suspect the more sophisticated testing they can do at the station would clear you....after you spent the time waiting in jail for the test results, which could take days.

Wow. The ibuprofen abusers will be worried.

If in Bangkok why dress like a tourist ? I am sure if you wear long pants and look respectable they will not even think about stopping you.

Oh well if you're sure, that's OK.

Just out of interest, do you actually live in the real world or just online?

I have lived in Bangkok for 3 years,. Never been stopped by the police. Not even in the so called tourist areas, day or night. I never walk around in shorts and I don't look like a tourist . Are you satisfied with my answer?

No - they will stop you- no matter what you're dressed like. I don't know why people keep trying to push this idea that the police are only stopping people who are badly dressed or look like drug addicts (whatever that means). It's nonsense, yet here you are, another person claiming that if you're smartly dressed and respectable the police won't stop you, won't make you get out a taxi, won't search you on the street.

I don't know what's to be gained by spreading misinformation about this.

We were just watching Thai TV. There was a video being shown from a Thai tourist being shaken down on Sukhumvit. The cop on the street was asking for a 200B bribe so the tourist could continue on their way. The Thai tourist offered 100B, but the cop replied with "if you don't pay 200B, I'll fine you 400B for failing the test".

A spokesman came on saying there were going to stop this and that you shouldn't pay a bribe as that's illegal and can get you into trouble. cheesy.gif

I have lived in Bangkok for 3 years,. Never been stopped by the police. Not even in the so called tourist areas, day or night. I never walk around in shorts and I don't look like a tourist . Are you satisfied with my answer?

Ummmm....no

The spokesman should say if they need an agent provocateur to get them, and if the police have any undercover agents to arrest them.

They do. The police just bribe them with a little more money.

Some simple people here, just don't get it.

Your experience does not necessarily means that no one will be ever stopped the police. There are plenty of cases about this practice that has been going on for years in Thong Lor area, denying is it is just silly.

But is was also stated that they are *not* real police but part of a scam.

If you pay to scanmers, then you will become a scammer, too. It is illegal to take bribe, but it is also illegal to offer bribe - even 100 THB.

It is obviously not possible here to point out the simplest principle of Thainess: That the police also have a face to loose in the eyes of the world, and that it's up to the world to help them keep face.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So you think you weren't stopped by the police because you weren't wearing shorts?

So you think the police expect potential drug users to dress a certain way, right?

Seriously, you and Beetlejuice need to hook up and compare notes.

Both as clueless as the other

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So you think you weren't stopped by the police because you weren't wearing shorts?

So you think the police expect potential drug users to dress a certain way, right?

Seriously, you and Beetlejuice need to hook up and compare notes.

Both as clueless as the other

i have not been stopped yet but i dont like thinking about the possibility or watching for cops up ahead when im coming back from having a drink it just makes things uncomfortable in an area i need to frequent one thing they could really clean up on is jaywalking at asoke at 200 baht each pull people in groups my self included why not go for the easy mark and skip the piss tests?

now last time i checked i was a man and could wail one with the best especially after several beers and noticable lack of public restroom options but i could not compete with an unshaven cop unless i had a german with me and some good frankfurter options streetside.

Send it around the world. Till it goes viral! Then maybe T.A.T. will wake up.

At the top of this page is a place you can click on stars to rate the topic. The more stars the topic gets, the higher up this topic is in Google search results. A small thing, but along the lines of what you are talking about. thumbsup.gif

Wish that feature were available on the mobile app for iPhone. Doesn't appear to be.

Archived