Reports emerging of police drug testing scam in Bangkok

webfact

i have not been stopped yet but i dont like thinking about the possibility or watching for cops up ahead when im coming back from having a drink it just makes things uncomfortable in an area i need to frequent one thing they could really clean up on is jaywalking at asoke at 200 baht each pull people in groups my self included why not go for the easy mark and skip the piss tests?

now last time i checked i was a man and could wail one with the best especially after several beers and noticable lack of public restroom options but i could not compete with an unshaven cop unless i had a german with me and some good frankfurter options streetside.

Just to make sure:

What are "good frankfurter options" ?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But is was also stated that they are *not* real police but part of a scam.

If you pay to scanmers, then you will become a scammer, too. It is illegal to take bribe, but it is also illegal to offer bribe - even 100 THB.

It is obviously not possible here to point out the simplest principle of Thainess: That the police also have a face to loose in the eyes of the world, and that it's up to the world to help them keep face.

The litter "cops" are city officials not police although they are empowered to impose fines. The ID checks and drug tests are done by real cops.

If you pay to scanmers, then you will become a scammer, too. It is illegal to take bribe, but it is also illegal to offer bribe - even 100 THB.

It is obviously not possible here to point out the simplest principle of Thainess: That the police also have a face to loose in the eyes of the world, and that it's up to the world to help them keep face.

The litter "cops" are city officials not police although they are empowered to impose fines. The ID checks and drug tests are done by real cops.

There are no "real" cops in Thailand.

Thanks to TV for keeping this issue current. This has to stop.

I have traveled and worked in more than 30 different countries over the years even in dictatorship countries such as East Germany, Russia, Cuba, Albania, Slovakia, Bulgaria (this was before Perestroyka and the fall of the wall).. I have never in any of those countries been stopped, searched, interrogated or forced to provide a urine sample on the streets. Any1 who thinks this is OK under any kind of government must have grown up in North Korea or something.

I have traveled and worked in more than 30 different countries over the years even in dictatorship countries such as East Germany, Russia, Cuba, Albania, Slovakia, Bulgaria (this was before Perestroyka and the fall of the wall).. I have never in any of those countries been stopped, searched, interrogated or forced to provide a urine sample on the streets. Any1 who thinks this is OK under any kind of government must have grown up in North Korea or something.

Exaggeration doesn't help.

I hardly ever go to he Soi 22 area,, But I AM in the Soi 4,, to Soi 21 areas nightly,, playing pool,,, I was in Soi 22 just last night to play in a pool league,,, I got there about 8pm,, and left about 12am,,,, they weren't around at 8,,, but there were about 8 or so of them about 2 blocks into Soi 22 about 12 when I left,,, They had about 3-4, "Farlangs" stopped,, going through their bags, packs, etc,,, which usually you don't see too often,, but it HAS increased!,,, Also usually, you don't see too many traffic stop in the Asok, to Ekemhai areas,, but those too have REALLY increased,,, They look to be very well organized,, And, "seem" to be making stop primarily for drunk driving,, Of course,, they're most likely searching for drugs also,,,, I do NOT have a problem catching over the limit drivers,,, but I DO have a huge problem with HOW they, "catch" them,,,, I CAN tell you from personal experience, what happened to myself, and my girlfriend in the Thong Lor area about a month ago,, I drive us to the area in the evening, for her work, and my pool playing,, I usually NEVER drive us home, because even after only say, 3-4 beers towards the end of the evening,, you're probably going to blow over the limit,,, This night,, I wasn't quite feeling well,, and beers just weren't, "tasting good, or going down well".... So over the course of the evening,, between about 6pm,, to about 1am,,, I had a total of about 2 beers, with the last 1, before about 9pm,,, So,,, 2 beers, over 3 hours, with the last one, 4, FOUR HOURS prior to leaving the area,,,, So, I actually decided to drive us home,,, We were waived over/stopped near Thong Lor area. by a cop standing in the far left lane, (which we were legally riding in, helmets and all,,, He asked me to blow,,, (whilst trying to grab the keys,, My girl quickly grabbed them out of the ignition,,, KNOWING there was NO way, I was going to blow over the limit,, I said sure,,, He punched a few buttons,, handed small, hand-held box to me,, with a USED mouth tube,,, while he was semi-not paying attention,, I never placed the tube IN my mouth,, but blew into it, while the tube was about 10mm from my lips,,,, i blew,, he turned back to me,,, grabbed it,, pushed some more buttons,, and said,, "You drunk",,, I of course said, "NO way",, as did my girl,, He REFUSED to show me the reading,,, He said, "$2000, and go",,,, He then walked BACK out into the left lane, to corral some others,,, whilst doing this,, my girl said, "get on",, and we promptly rode off,, took a side Soi,, knowing he was probably going to radio ahead,,,,, There is NO,, NO possible way,, that ANY POS, OLD, hand-held device, is going to read that you're, "over" doing what I did,,, NO WAY,,, besides the fact,, There's NO way of knowing, (since they won't show you them setting it up),,, If they don't just fake pushing buttons, resetting it, from a possible higher reading,, left by the PREVIOUS USER!!!!..... So ya,,, they WANNA get you?,,,, YOU'RE GOT!....

." So over the course of the evening,, between about 6pm,, to about 1am,,, I had a total of about 2 beers, with the last 1, before about 9pm,,,"

You don't sound too sure to me!

READ Einstein,,, 2 beers, between 6-1,,, the last before 9,,, sooo,,, 2 beers in 7, SEVEN hours TOTAL time frame, (got there a 6, left at 1), last 1 before 9, (so 2, over 3 hours, 6-9) Second beer.. (beer number 2), within that 1st 3 hour window, So 4 hours before leaving (1AM),,,,,,,, Need a calculator?.. And YA,,, pretty damn sure,,, Gotta feel sorry for those that can't do basic math, or just sooo lonely, they look for ANY reason to post something, ANYthing,,,,,

I have been coming to Thailand for 15 years or so. I was planning on retiring there in a couple years. My last visit was in January during the protests. I was planning on coming over for a couple weeks this coming February but I have to admit LOS is rapidly losing it's appeal. Think I will vacation in the Philippines this winter and hope things improve before I retire or I will be looking at other retirement destinations.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I have been coming to Thailand for 15 years or so. I was planning on retiring there in a couple years. My last visit was in January during the protests. I was planning on coming over for a couple weeks this coming February but I have to admit LOS is rapidly losing it's appeal. Think I will vacation in the Philippines this winter and hope things improve before I retire or I will be looking at other retirement destinations.

Corruption, crime and oppressive policing are far worse in the Philippines than in Thong Lor.

Why does he have to be exaggerating? I've been traveling for 30 years, since I was a "youth". I've been to many countries, also including Russia. In that time I've been stopped once. That was in the US, late at night in the 90's, and the cop wanted to know where I had been, where I was going and what I was holding in my hand...it was just a mobile phone. The cop was polite and asked if I wanted to see their ID, i didn't, all was fine, and that was that, no problem.

Being stopped, harassed, degraded, threatened, screamed at, strip searched, forced to urinate into a cup, possibly have your genitals felt up by some sweaty piece of filth, scammed, isn't normal, it reflects on a country that appears to be going wrong and to a large extent has already gone wrong. Tourist numbers have already fallen a long way and at this rate they will fall a lot further, and I would say it is particularly the big spenders that will go elsewhere.

Why does he have to be exaggerating? I've been traveling for 30 years, since I was a "youth". I've been to many countries, also including Russia. In that time I've been stopped once. That was in the US, late at night in the 90's, and the cop wanted to know where I had been, where I was going and what I was holding in my hand...it was just a mobile phone. The cop was polite and asked if I wanted to see their ID, i didn't, all was fine, and that was that, no problem.

Being stopped, harassed, degraded, threatened, screamed at, strip searched, forced to urinate into a cup, possibly have your genitals felt up by some sweaty piece of filth, scammed, isn't normal, it reflects on a country that appears to be going wrong and to a large extent has already gone wrong. Tourist numbers have already fallen a long way and at this rate they will fall a lot further, and I would say it is particularly the big spenders that will go elsewhere.

It's an exaggeration to say that there are no real police in Thailand. But where would this Forum be without exaggeration and generalisations?!

I have grown up in Germany or something.

If you think there are no "real" cops in Thailand, then who are you complaining about?

I don't like to live in a police state, either.

But coming from a country that permanently uses mass surveillance programmes like PRISM, I would really suggest to be careful...

"It's an exaggeration to say that there are no real police in Thailand. But where would this Forum be without exaggeration and generalizations?! "

I agree, it is an exaggeration, there actually are quiet a few hard working and honest cops in Thailand. They are the ones replacing traffic lights here and there.

And I was stopped once I Paris actually, not randomly but the police was doing a raid searching for a particular criminal. The French cop politely asked me in French for my ID and then in English when he realized I was not French. After seeing my ID he let me be on my way.

You would find these "litter" cops (City cops) in Germany, too, eg in the pedestrian zones of Heidelberg and Frankfurt. And you'd be fined 1,600 THB there for littering, up to 2,400 THB in Heidelberg.

BTW, ever been to Singapore?

If the goal of the litter police was to reduce littering, they would be focusing on the Thai population, which they completely ignore. A Thai person could dump a trashbag full of used condoms in to the street in Suhkumvit and the litter police wouldn't even notice. If a tourist accidentally drops his reciept from 7-11, they will pounce and demand 2000 baht for littering.

It is nothing remotely like police in western countries. They aren't interested in cleaning the city, and the money they take isn't going to the city so they can pay for cleaning. It is going in to their own pocket, which is why they focus on tourists who are stupid enough to pay.

They could make just as much money if they targeted Thais and only charged 100 baht for littering, AND it would actually accomplish the goal of cleaning the city. But that would require a lot of work, and many Thais will argue and refuse to pay and it's a huge hassle. A dumb tourist who drops something is easy to intimidate for lots of money.

You would find these "litter" cops (City cops) in Germany, too, eg in the pedestrian zones of Heidelberg and Frankfurt. And you'd be fined 1,600 THB there for littering, up to 2,400 THB in Heidelberg.

If the goal of the litter police was to reduce littering, they would be focusing on the Thai population, which they completely ignore. A Thai person could dump a trashbag full of used condoms in to the street in Suhkumvit and the litter police wouldn't even notice. If a tourist accidentally drops his reciept from 7-11, they will pounce and demand 2000 baht for littering.

It is nothing remotely like police in western countries. They aren't interested in cleaning the city, and the money they take isn't going to the city so they can pay for cleaning. It is going in to their own pocket, which is why they focus on tourists who are stupid enough to pay.

They could make just as much money if they targeted Thais and only charged 100 baht for littering, AND it would actually accomplish the goal of cleaning the city. But that would require a lot of work, and many Thais will argue and refuse to pay and it's a huge hassle. A dumb tourist who drops something is easy to intimidate for lots of money.

I could not care whether littering thing is unequally enforced, as long as it is not a scam (a scam being arrested for littering when they did not). If someone drops a receipt, a cigarette but or a coffee cup.... I would support fines of up to $5,000 in my home country, so 2000 baht is getting off easy - and quite honestly I have no sympathy for that lazy bastard.

I could not care whether littering thing is unequally enforced, as long as it is not a scam (a scam being arrested for littering when they did not). If someone drops a receipt, a cigarette but or a coffee cup.... I would support fines of up to $5,000 in my home country, so 2000 baht is getting off easy - and quite honestly I have no sympathy for that lazy bastard.

If you don't litter you won't be fined.

The $5,000 fine in your Country goes back into Government hands, whilst, the 2,000 baht fine here goes into the Police mans pocket.

Dah.

The Philippines is no better. Actually, probably worse:

http://news.yahoo.com/rights-group-police-torture-philippines-rife-022310950.html

If you don't litter you won't be fined.

That's certainly true...

HOWEVER, the problem with these BMA "litter cops" is they appear to be solely and exclusively focused on going after non-Thais for littering offenses.

It's pretty pathetic to see these BMA guys standing along sections of Sukhumvit Road that have all kinds of debris thrown along the street and sidewalk by Thais and local vendors, but they're not fining them or even paying the slightest attention. Yet a foreigner comes along and drops a cigarette butt on the ground and they're like a SWAT team racing into action.

Not to mention, AFAIK, these BMA litter cops are pretty much exclusively assigned to heavy foreigner street traffic areas like Sukhumvit, because that's where their targets are. But look around heavily trafficked traditional Thai area streets, and see if you can find any of these BMA "litter cops" ringing up 2,000 baht fines for the locals. They're NOT!

Damn these corrupt policemen.....pay them a salary they can live of !! It is the yeat of 2014 and still Thailand cant Control their problems with

widespread corruption....it is so sad !!!! Another Nail in the coffin for a dying Tourist industry ! This will keep me from going to Bangkok....and my family....and my friends....and eventually all farangs !!!

That is part of the problem is that the government basically setup the system and turned a blind eye to how the police were to fund themselves. Instead of paying a good professional wage and expecting professional behaviour. They pay then low wages, make them pay for their own equipment, and they turn a blind eye to them having to raise funds themselves. They create a system where the police have to buy their way on, they have to buy their promotions and they are part of a big pyramid scheme that they collect "fees" and contribute money up the pyramid and retain some of the revenue as return on the investment. To change the system there would have to be some sort of amnesty on the low end, introduction of polygraph tests, and zero tolerance and loss of salary / pension if they return to their old ways. They have to introduce professional training, exams and make them earn their promotions. It all starts at the policy makers though. They have to create civilian boards and Internal Affairs (actually a separate police force) to police the police.... I don't see that commitment because the government never really wanted to invest in a non-corrupt police force.

You'd have to completely change Thailand and other parts of Asia to get that standard.

If you think there are no "real" cops in Thailand, then who are you complaining about?

But coming from a country that permanently uses mass surveillance programmes like PRISM, I would really suggest to be careful...

I have lived in Germany as a British citizen for over 40 years, German police are excellent,better than the British police that i knew. As for surveillance you would have to live in England today to know what real surveillance is

I have lived in Germany as a British citizen for over 40 years, German police are excellent,better than the British police that i knew. As for surveillance you would have to live in England today to know what real surveillance is

Yes, I came home drunk one time in London and could not make it home without taking a leak in public.... after zipping up I looked around .... I noticed I was on three video cameras tongue.png So yes, no surveillance in London tongue.png

Yes, I came home drunk one time in London and could not make it home without taking a leak in public.... after zipping up I looked around .... I noticed I was on three video cameras tongue.png So yes, no surveillance in London tongue.png
Urinating in public is for animals not humans - it is disgusting and offensive. However, you can take consolation in that nobody collected it in a cup and tested you for drugs!

Urinating in public is for animals not humans - it is disgusting and offensive. However, you can take consolation in that nobody collected it in a cup and tested you for drugs!

Well I am an animal tongue.png Better than urinating in my pants.... There was only two choices at that point. Since I have never taken any drugs in my life (other prescribed drugs) -- and they had a cup for me to put it in.... it would have helped.

I have grown up in Germany or something.If you think there are no "real" cops in Thailand, then who are you complaining about?

Well I am an animal tongue.png Better than urinating in my pants.... There was only two choices at that point. Since I have never taken any drugs in my life (other prescribed drugs) -- and they had a cup for me to put it in.... it would have helped.

Ah! Prescription drugs. That's OK then. Pity you did not take pill for incontinence.

Ah! Prescription drugs. That's OK then. Pity you did not take pill for incontinence.

Of course you would have the change the inference from prescribed.... prescribed as in legally issued for a legitimate doctor (not a prescription mill).... and they were not even the fun type of drug.... but now you the last few posts you are coming across as more of a troll....

I take it by troll you mean someone who disagrees with you. Go ahead. Piss in people's streets and be smug about only taking prescription drugs. But it was your bladder that was full of a legal drug that led to your lack of control. And you seem to think pissing in people's communities is somehow acceptable. Please think again.

No, not the disagreement side - that is fine. It was the rewording of what I was saying... which I assume was on purpose. Prescription drugs can be legal or illegal, prescribed drugs are exactly that prescribed for a condition.

I did not say pissing in peoples communities is acceptable, that is your spin on it. Given two alternatives at that point, I chose peeing down the storm drain -- and if I were in the same situation I would do it again tongue.png If the police gave me a cup, a ticket, or a summons I would have thanked them and taken it.

Now that we have agreed that it was disgusting, maybe we can return to the topic at hand.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Send it around the world. Till it goes viral! Then maybe T.A.T. will wake up.

At the top of this page is a place you can click on stars to rate the topic. The more stars the topic gets, the higher up this topic is in Google search results. A small thing, but along the lines of what you are talking about. alt=thumbsup.gif>

Thank you for that Craig. I didn't realise that rating a topic had that much effect. I work in Bangkok and a number of my colleagues are very concerned about this - another disgraceful abuse of power.

My friend planned to have his birthdayparty in a 5* Japanese hotel in this area. (Can we mention hotelnames here?). But when the Westerners heard which hotel it was they all asked him to book another hotel. Which he did. Far away from Thong Lor.clap2.gif

Archived