who are the greatest

meatboy

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt there are greater tennis players than Johnny Wilkinson, and although many other kickers now stick their arse out like they're composing a fart he never revolutionised rugby. But as a sportsman he epitomised everything a sportsman should be

- excellent in his sport

- humble

- hard-working to a fault

- generous and respectful of his competitors, both in the opposition, and for his own position

- loyal to his club

- committed to his country

- fearless in the game.

I don't think that there's any if the alternatives offered on this thread that can tick all those boxes

SC

And now - a CBE to recognise his achievements and his service.

I think we've got the message SC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If we are to include lying/scumbag dopers (like Lewis or Kelly) then obviously Lance Armstrong would be considered among the greatest, and like both Lewis and Kelly, he competed during an era when most of his competitors were also doping in much the same manner. Ali, as a man sure, one of several boxers who fought incredible battles but won some lost some (Sugar Ray, Chavez, Whittaker, Tyson) - so if we are to look at mastery of the sport, then I'm not sure I'd go with the people who I would also rate as ambassadors for the sport.

So first off....mastery of the sport over the course of a career during their peak including dopers (Armstrong) in their era excluding having any positive impact on the world

Michael Jordan - complete dominance in basketball

Floyd Mayweather - complete dominance in boxing against everyone except Castillo #1 (yes, including Pacquiao) - changed the way of management, brought back defense, and is the highest paid athlete

Lance Armstrong - complete dominance in cycling with the winningest record in TdF which I consider to be the toughest sport, despite not being a climber and yes, he did it building a champion team who were almost all taking a boat load of drugs (Indurain was also a drug taker, so was Merckxx widely considered the greatest ever cyclist, Kelly or Roche are both also dopers)

If we look at people whose behavior changed the world and who deserve the highest praise, only Jordan still makes the list

Ali

Jordan

Pele/Don Bradman (I never saw them play) or if someone I saw, then Redgrave, the amazing rower

Honourable mentions

- Jonah Lomu, amazing rugby player

- Bode Miller, amazing skier

- Diesel Noi, amazing Muay Thai fighter