Israeli ambassador says he was deeply saddened over a Thai Value short film

webfact

Israeli ambassador says he was deeply saddened over a Thai Value short film

10-12-2557-15-04-20-wpcf_728x4061.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Israeli ambassador to Thailand yesterday issued a statement expressing deep regret over a Thai Value short film showing a smiling Thai youth painting the image of Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.

The statement was published in Israeli national news agency Arutz Sheva today.

The ambassador Simon Roded said he was “deeply saddened” to see the “trivialization and misuse” of Nazi symbols in an official Thai government film.

He wrote “Hitler and the Nazi regime were responsible for a systemic, horrific and racist murder of 11 million people during the Holocaust.”

“I was surprised that throughout the screening process this movie must have gone through to be approved for public broadcast, none of the smart, well educated people checking it had identified it as being problematic and offensive,” he said in the statement released by the Israeli Embassy in Bangkok.

The ambassador went on to note that this is not the first time the Israeli Embassy has encountered “ignorance of the history of the Holocaust” in Thailand.

A Nazi-themed parade at Sacred Heart School in Chiang Mai, 2011 at Simon Wiesenthal Center.

In 2011, a Nazi-themed sports parade at a Catholic school in Chiang Mai province sparked outrage and prompted the Israeli Embassy in Bangkok to protest the school’s administration. In the wake of the controversy, directors at Sacred Heart School said they would increase lessons on world history.

In another recent controversy, some graduates at Chulalongkorn University – one of Thailand’s top schools – posed for photos with a “Superhero Hitler” mural near the History Department. The University publicly apologised for the students’ behaviour, and promised to prevent any similar incidents from occurring in the future.

The Israeli ambassador added, “If we learn anything from this incident it is that Holocaust education, especially its global messages of tolerance, should be introduced into the Thai curriculum.”

The Prime Minister’s Office recruited 12 different directors to work on “Thai Niyom” in October after Gen Prayut called for a film to promote Thailand’s “national identity.”

Gen. Prayut’s Twelve Values, which he taught to the public in July, have already been rendered into a poem that students at public schools are required to memorise.

The film was produced by the Office of Prime Minister and screened for free in cinemas across the country on December 6.

Meanwhile the Thai director of this short film, Kulp Kaljaruek, also a manager at Kantana Group, one of the largest television and film production companies in Thailand, has defended the scene.

He said he never thought it would become an issue after a clip of the scene went viral on the internet and attracted criticism.

“As for Hitler’s portrait, I have seen so many people using it on T-Shirts everywhere. It’s even considered a fashion. It doesn’t mean I agree with it, but I didn’t expect it to be an issue at all,” he said.

He said Hitler was also a ‘number one,’ in a bad way.
“He was good at persuading a lot of people, but he refused to listen to the majority.”

When asked whether “30” was an attempt to poke fun at Gen Prayut’s Twelve Values in a subversive way, he insisted that he did not intend the film to be political at all.

“I don’t want to convey anything,” he said, adding that he has also worked on another state-sponsored film honouring the Thai monarchy.

“I didn’t want to have anything to do with politics. I didn’t want my film to affect anyone,” he added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/israeli-ambassador-says-deeply-saddened-thai-value-short-film

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-11

This is a special film ordered by Thai Junta General Prime Minister Prayuth for the nation. Anyone who criticise this film, also imply that he/she criticize the nation and its leader.

Anyone criticize the 12 values should be arrested for re-education in the army camp, regardless if you are Thai, Burmese workers, Black African, White Farang.

This is a special film ordered by Thai Junta General Prime Minister Prayuth for the nation. Anyone who criticise this film, also imply that he/she criticize the nation and its leader.

Anyone criticize the 12 values should be arrested for re-education in the army camp, regardless if you are Thai, Burmese workers, Black African, White Farang.

The so called 12 values are entirely removed from the insensitive way they are promoted in this video.

It is good to see Israel lecture the Thai people, while they have turned Gaza into another Warsaw. Just yesterday an unarmed Palestinian politician was murdered by Israeli police. Sounds like the Gestapo.

No not really.

The politician was hit by a tear gas canister according to some reports and affected by tear gas by others.

He wasn't intentionally shot.

Happens whenever over zealous police/military use tear gas on protesters.

It was wrong and there needs to be an inquiry and justice has to be served upon those responsible.

However gestapo?

No.

Not gestapo like at all.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

In my opinion, this is a clear propaganda message, possibly organized and manipulated by some well known activists or political group as a warning to the people of the future in Thailand under the present government. My General should beware of these soft tactics that have huge results in the end.

• Like 1

Sorry for my ignorance.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a link where I can find, read, memorise and learn to repeat 'parrot fashion' these so called twelve values?

Something to recite when I'm at a low ebb, stuck in traffic, or just plain bored.

With subtitle (in Thai).

He is very very smart and good actually.

" He said Hitler was also a ‘number one,’ in a bad way. "

Herr Director, better to be in silent I guess. You have no idea about history at all.

Only conclusions I get from the video are:

1. The producers are making a joke of the current government and the intention of the video itself.

2. The producers are all educated in Thai-schools and therefore have no real knowledge about anything.

Take a pick...

Based on his comments, I go for number 2.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 2

should be more saddened by his country's persecution of Palestinians; something they can still make a difference and do something about- and saddened by his own misunderstanding of the film's portrayal. He needs to enroll in some Thai language courses.

• Like 1

. Spoken like a true facist. This only goes to show that really the choice of Hitler is not a mistake. We should not forget that Thailand was actually an enemy of allies during World War Two.

"Gen. Prayut’s Twelve Values, which he taught to the public in July, have already been rendered into a poem that students at public schools are required to memorise". Wow... Just like the Nazi youth used to do, there's a theme arising here.

• Like 2