Bangkok shakedown: Tourists report increased harassment by police

webfact

My feeling is that the problem is the procedure / the process.

=>

1- there is NO standard process. The chief tells "Go to check!"

2- police, alike army, feel "superior". They consider they don't have to explain anything to the people.

3- maybe they feel also uncomfortable. In this case, Thais (and maybe also some farangs) become aggressive.

If they'd be polite, making the tourists feel like we are equal, explaining what will happen, apologizing, AND OF COURSE NOT TAKING BRIBES etc. it would be fine.

Edited by EnzoRippo

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, happened to me 2 weeks ago on Asoke road. Living in BKK for 5 years, I never experienced this before.

2 guys in police uniform stopping me when I was walking along the footpath at 20h, asking me for Id and thoroughly searching all my pockets. I just let 1 guys do it whilst chit chatting about what i do in Thailand. i had no ID on me but offered to go home with them to pick it up. After about 10 mins, they let me go, after 1 of the 2 kinda found me a nice guy. Nothing bad really and they were correct, it's just weird being picked up at random.

Looks like they are looking for drugs or another good reason to book you.

I don't know why this is news. Been happening for years and years.blink.png

May be happening a little more frequently these days as tourist numbers are down, so the ripple effect that just about all Thais cannot understand, is that with less tourists, there is less money being made by all the hawkers etc, so less money being paid to the gangs for protection or the BIB for just existing, so everyone is hurting and wanting more from each available tourist.

These 2 quotes,,, PRETTY much,, says ALL that needs to be said,,, "due to their unofficial nature these reports remain unverifiable"... and,,, "he did witness the police fining some tourists 2000 baht (US$61) for dropping cigarette butts. When he took a picture of this happening, he was chased by the officers involved and had to hide out in a mall.". What ELSE needs to be said here??? IF all this is, "official",,, wouldn't the, "butt police",,,, be more than happy to be shown doing a great job???

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts

So, where are the numbers, the stats, .. anything about a targeted profile type? .. age group?

People wearing beach gear in the streets? ... Smarter respectfully dressed people?

I have certainly seen loads of slobs and thugs queuing for entry at many places. Maybe someone has just spat the dummy, and going after all younger tourists, happy to throw out the babies with the bath water.

I was in a taxi with the Missus and a driver rom up here we always use

We got pulled over by Police and the copper came and spoke to the driver and then walked away, probably to harass someone else. The driver got 500bt in his hand and waited for the copper. Copper came back driver gives him the money at which point the copper went apeshit. I cant speak Thai but he was giving the driver a good talking to. When we pulled off my Missus and the driver burst out laughing. Apparently the copper was upset because he'd been given money in front of a Farang, he said something like "Why are you giving me the money in front of him .No wonder everybody thinks all Thai policeman are corrupt " I found that quite amusing

Edited by ExPratt

Is it tourists, or is it those who live here also? I've never experienced an incident because I speak Thai.

If you live here, learn the lingo. If you don't.... not much will change in ATTACKING tourists, I'm afraid.

I am sure that is excellent advice, but how long on average does it take an average person, maybe a retiree, to become fluent in what is recognized as one of the most difficult languages to learn?

This has been happening for decades.

Thailand is under Marshal Law, remember.

Yes, Sheriff, Thailand is under Marshall Law. Named after Marshall Wyatt Earp, wasn't it? I believe you meant Martial Law. No, not marital law.

The fine is 2000 for dropping ciggy butts on the floor but I'd bet the farm that the cop just pockets that.

I've never had a problem in Suki with cops but there does seem to be a sharp increase in the number of these stories recently.

I got done for dropping my cigarette butt near Emporium about 6 months ago. I negotiated the fine down to 600 baht.

Me too at Asoke in front of times square. It was the regular rent a cop security guard that caught me but took me over to a police box with the real cops. I had a conversation and made a few jokes with them in Thai and he let me off with just 500. They even seemed to have a little metal bribe box to keep their takings in.

Cops have let me off scott free for minor offences because my spoken Thai isn't too bad. Not in every case though. And most tourists don't have that luxury.

It is a fine box,and you where fined for your filthy habit of dropping ciggy's where ever you feel like it.Both of you.

People getting fined for dropping cigarette butts is fair enough, but shaking down innocent people is really low, even for the Thai police. If they really want to find drugs, they know where to go.

Yes,,,, Yes,,, they DO know, EXACTLY where to go,,,, they have to meet up to get PAID to NOT show up at the wrong time!

The fine is 2000 for dropping ciggy butts on the floor but I'd bet the farm that the cop just pockets that.

I've never had a problem in Suki with cops but there does seem to be a sharp increase in the number of these stories recently.

I got done for dropping my cigarette butt near Emporium about 6 months ago. I negotiated the fine down to 600 baht.
Me too at Asoke in front of times square. It was the regular rent a cop security guard that caught me but took me over to a police box with the real cops. I had a conversation and made a few jokes with them in Thai and he let me off with just 500. They even seemed to have a little metal bribe box to keep their takings in.

Cops have let me off scott free for minor offences because my spoken Thai isn't too bad. Not in every case though. And most tourists don't have that luxury.

It is a fine box,and you where fined for your filthy habit of dropping ciggy's where ever you feel like it.Both of you.

I have recently quit and the security guard showed me where the huge outside ash trey was as I had no idea where it was before. I would of put the dead butt in the bin but there is a notorious lack of them in this city. So get stuffed with your high and mighty judgements thinking you are my moral superior there pal.

Edit - and it's mostly a bribe box seeing as the full amount wasn't taken. Where do you think that money goes? Back to the city to buy more bins? Give over!

Edited by lildragon

They may want to justify themselves by catching a Farang with a big bag of Gear rather than give up the tea money

Yes, this is a very good point that I don't think has been paid any attention in these last few weeks of the word spreading amongst the potential victims....

It's perfectly possible any corrupt bullies who are attempting extortion will come up with something to justify their behaviour, and that means not only that some poor individual will suffer at their hands more than most, it will send the wrong message to all the wrong people who are holier-than-thou, ill-informed, or couldn't give a damn... plus people in positions of power and the general public.

Then the situation will then be even worse.

Be vigilant out there.

Is it tourists, or is it those who live here also? I've never experienced an incident because I speak Thai.

If you live here, learn the lingo. If you don't.... not much will change in ATTACKING tourists, I'm afraid.

does that mean thai speaking non thais will not be stopped by police?

Its about time this got wider coverage.

Around 3 years ago I was stopped by a Police officer in Silom Road. He accused me of dropping a cigarette butt. I replied that I dont even smoke and turned out my pockets in front of him. He got more insistent and said I would need to pay a fine. I flatly refused, walked away and went into Pizza Hut and sat down and ordered a Pizza. The officer glared at me through the window and then 2 of them appeared.

By the time I had finished they had gone but I didnt return along Silom, but went down a side road.

What was probably more annoying than actually getting stopped, was that when I mentioned this on this forum, nobody appeared to believe me. The replies were along the lines of "Thats the normal fine for littering" etc and disbelief that the Police had completely made up the offence. Hopefully thats changing now.

I know that boasting about having well-connected Thai wives/friends on here is always treated with sceptisicm here but I am going to try and push this to the top both in Thailand and within the Thai community in the UK including the Thai embassy. In fact I am going to raise the subject anyway next time I meet up with our circle of Thai friends and I will be putting together some evidence from the web. If anyone does get any video evidence I will show it to them. This has got to stop.

Thailand does not seem to be able to stay out of world news and NOT in a good light.

This, along with Hitler, along with murders just keeps on coming.

And for some reason little to no damage control at all.

You would think there would be an official statement from authorities to investigate the reports or issue a directive to stop.facepalm.gif

Generally speaking, the Thais really don't care what foreigners think.

My collegue dropped a cigarette outside Siam Paragon, there were no bins he said and also Asian men dropped them on the floor.

He got a fine from 2000 baht and the Asian men nothing at all.

Having lived in Bangkok for most of 2003-2008 I can tell you that this was never happening then, and no one was talking about it. Rarely (very rarely) a person was asked to pay a fine for littering, but that was it.

I've lived here since 2005 and can assure it's been happening in the Asok/soi 22 area the whole time. It's one of the few unpleasant aspects of living here.

Thailand does not seem to be able to stay out of world news and NOT in a good light.

This, along with Hitler, along with murders just keeps on coming.

And for some reason little to no damage control at all.

You would think there would be an official statement from authorities to investigate the reports or issue a directive to stop.facepalm.gif

Generally speaking, the Thais really don't care what foreigners think.

That's true,until it hits their pockets.