Are Thai police trigger happy?

Lockind

Well down in Phuket a farang once told me he saw off-duty Thai cops (in plain clothes) blasting away at a robber running down the street. Farangs were jumping left and right to get out of the firing line.

This is going back a few years though (1990s).

I have a hard time really knowing who the policemen are, some dress in tailored uniforms others dress like bums. From photos published daily with the captured criminals it looks like a 50/50 mix. None are real impressive with handling of weapons that i have observed (shooting range). I did have the unpleasant experience of walking past a police station one new years at midnight. I was quite familar with the sound of rounds passing close enough to hear and this bunch were not shooting at the moon/stars. now I can not swear they were policemen but I have always blamed them for a part of my disgust with them.

In shoot outs they tend to shoot themselves or their colleagues

and the yanks never do this,,,,

they would never drop bombs on there own men,,,,

i think the yanks are far far far more trigger happy then thai police, ive never seen one take there gun out,,,

• Like 1

The Thai Police ... much, much worse then in the USA.

Lockind ... stay in the UK ... much safer there.

Nonsense

Mate, he's just probably bored

Back in July, 5 months ago, he penned ... the-end-of-corruption-am-i-the-only-one-who-will-miss-it

Lots of people despise nanny states. Although corruption is not a direct antonym, most countries that we would consider intrinsically corrupt are a world away from western democracies. I don't know about you, but that's why I'm here, to escape bureaucracy.

Undoubtedly the changes imposed by the Junta so far will make life better for the average Thai person, part of me applauds that. If this continues long-term (big if), from a selfish point of view I would find it stale, dull, uninteresting, and it would be harder to get things accomplished. I like to think of life as a game, and those who play the system best, profit most; I like that ideology. When it's dog eat dog the fittest will thrive.

Who said law and order is a prerequisite to happiness and soulful enlightenment, anyway?

• Like 1

i think the yanks are far far far more trigger happy then thai police, ive never seen one take there gun out,,,

I've seen a Thai policeman take out his gun and hand it over to a bar girl because she asked to look at it. Never saw a yank cop do that. smile.png

• Like 1

I've seen a Thai policeman take out his gun and hand it over to a bar girl because she asked to look at it. Never saw a yank cop do that. smile.png

But but.....maybe the bargirl was his wife....

I think Thai police is often too soft in certain situations where they should better shoot and kill the offender rather than try to arrest and risk everybody's lives, including the lives of those that will later be exposed to the criminal when he comes out of prison.

But but.....maybe the bargirl was his wife....

Or his Mia noi.

In shoot outs they tend to shoot themselves or their colleagues

and the yanks never do this,,,,

they would never drop bombs on there own men,,,,

How much time have you spent in the US? I've never seen a US policeman take his gun out.

In the country with the world's 3rd largest population, there will be more of many things. But I've never seen it.

It has to do with training. The Thai police have very little firearms training when they are first appointed and very little or no "in service" training after they have been in service for a while

I mean, if they have one of Chalerm son's (the one who got off for killing a cop in a bar) working at the police firearms range, how good could their fire arms training be

source:

http://bangkokdave.blog.com/2012/08/07/chalerm-son-still-the-untouchables/

I've been handed a gun to take a look at by a Thai copper during a drinking session in the past.

Just to clarify, I'm not a bar girl so unless you were blind drunk it's probably a different occasion.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Well a yank cop wouldn't hang around in the bar, at least not in uniform.

There are plenty of instances of Thais shooting Falungs but I've never heard of a cop shooting one.

Cops have to buy their own firearms which they get under the Sawatee Ganh scheme which means the get around 50% discount (still 50k Baht plus) but can't sell the gun for five years. So what a lot of them do is buy the gun then pawn it and keep it pristine until they can sell it.

That's why you see most cops carrying very aged weapons and some of them are even BB guns.