Where to purchase a decent watch?

mike111

Mates,

On my next visit to Pats I consider purchasing a watch for personal use, something decent and reliable. I'm not planning to splurge, but not looking for cheap Chinese fakes either.

Where would you suggest shopping? Central festival? somewhere else?

Cheers

I do not know where you live but if you live in EU or US a non-copy brand name watch is probably cheaper there.

Maybe maybe not. For mass-market brands like timex, seiko, citizen, Casio, etc., which are available online and from places like target and Walmart this may be true. However, when you step up to more prestige brands like Tag, Oris, Omega, Rolex, etc., Thai prices are about the same or sometimes a bit less. I priced my Oris watch in Thailand and from the authorized dealers in the us and it was about 15% cheaper in Thailand (after taking into account everything like local sales taxes).

I do not know where you live but if you live in EU or US a non-copy brand name watch is probably cheaper there.

Maybe maybe not. For mass-market brands like timex, seiko, citizen, Casio, etc., which are available online and from places like target and Walmart this may be true. However, when you step up to more prestige brands like Tag, Oris, Omega, Rolex, etc., Thai prices are about the same or sometimes a bit less. I priced my Oris watch in Thailand and from the authorized dealers in the us and it was about 15% cheaper in Thailand (after taking into account everything like local sales taxes).

Well wouldn't name Oris a prestige brand also the prices of them a general lower than the other brands you name. Think the most expensive watch is around 4000-5000 Euro what is just an entry level for the other brands.

But for sure Rolex, Omega and real prestige brands like Lange & Söhne or Patek Philippe are much more expensive in Thailand than compared to Europe or US. Same like on other luxury stuff like Louis Vuitton

or even Ralph Lauren (very basic brand around the world) but dam expensive in the original store in BKK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well wouldn't name Oris a prestige brand also the prices of them a general lower than the other brands you name. Think the most expensive watch is around 4000-5000 Euro what is just an entry level for the other brands.

But for sure Rolex, Omega and real prestige brands like Lange & Söhne or Patek Philippe are much more expensive in Thailand than compared to Europe or US. Same like on other luxury stuff like Louis Vuitton

or even Ralph Lauren (very basic brand around the world) but dam expensive in the original store in BKK.

The point of my post was to let the op know he should not take it for granted that watches are cheaper "at home." If he knows what brand/model he wants he should price at home and in Thailand and then make his purchase. It's similar with Apple products...people assume they're cheaper at home but at least for me (USA) the price is a wash and I buy in Thailand.

The point of my post was to let the op know he should not take it for granted that watches are cheaper "at home." If he knows what brand/model he wants he should price at home and in Thailand and then make his purchase. It's similar with Apple products...people assume they're cheaper at home but at least for me (USA) the price is a wash and I buy in Thailand.

It's a bit OT but I am interest to know which apple product is cheaper in TH compared to the U.S.A?

It's a bit OT but I am interest to know which apple product is cheaper in TH compared to the U.S.A?

I said Apple prices were a wash (I.e., the same). Just do a comparison on the Apple USA. and Thai online stores. Therefore, it makes no sense for a Thai resident like me to have friends ferry Apple products to me or for me to wait to buy them when I'm in the States.

Years ago it was different but for many categories of stuff Thailand is price competitive.

Thanks for the replies.

Any suggestions online shops for checking prices in Thailand?

The Cetral Festival site doesnt advetise prices.

Cheers

Lazada has a few, but all depends on what you consider decent .

In the lower range tissot is not a bad choice but more expansive than say Oz.

Seiko and Casio, personally I do not consider being decent but both do make reliable watches at fairly cheap prices .

If you want to buy a watch in Pattaya go see Mr. Jack - located at the intersection of Soi Buakhao and Pattaya Klang - there are two watch shops there - his says Mr Jack on the window - over his work bench at the front of the shop

Besides selling numerous fakes - he also sells genuine watches

He has a range of watches that are Swiss but are manufactured in the Far East but yet still use all the Swiss parts

He and his father have been in the watch business their entire life

He is a very humble guy and will open up the watch before you buy to do final checks on it (not available in Central)

In some cases he can waterproof the watch and he guarantees everything - even fakes that I take in over a year later he repairs for free - unless its a battery or a damaged screen etc

At least pay him a visit before deciding to buy - you will not regret it

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers

Seiko and Casio, personally I do not consider being decent but both do make reliable watches at fairly cheap prices .

In what way would one consider Seiko and Casio not being decent?

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers

Decent watches are not available from 7-11 stores. Both brands are just mass production for the masses, like Toyota, every men's gadget.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers

Decent watches are not available from 7-11 stores. Both brands are just mass production for the masses, like Toyota, every men's gadget.

Never seen a Seiko for sale in a 7-11 and you obviously know nothing about the brand as Seiko make some high end watches costing as much as $30,000. I have automatic Seikos that are over 30 years old and never had a service but are still keeping good time. Rubbishing Seiko is just being a snob.

Never seen a Seiko for sale in a 7-11 and you obviously know nothing about the brand as Seiko make some high end watches costing as much as $30,000. I have automatic Seikos that are over 30 years old and never had a service but are still keeping good time. Rubbishing Seiko is just being a snob.

Of course i know nothing rolleyes.gif .Toyota also makes Landcruisers, does not make Toyota a luxury brand

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers

And good luck to you wearing your genuine Patek Philippe along Beach Road

Edited by SheungWan

Of course i know nothing rolleyes.gif .Toyota also makes Landcruisers, does not make Toyota a luxury brand

Who said anyone called Seiko a luxury brand? Seiko makes very affordable, reliable watches as well as high end luxury watches. Hey, spend as much as you like on a watch, doesn't mean it will last any longer or be any more dependable than a Seiko, and most of that watch's cost is probably because of intensive advertising.