Thailand not ready for AEC, finance minister tells seminar

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The amount of "hindsight is 20/20 expats" commenting here is staggering - how is it that all you prognosticator "i told you so" experts aren't steering your own country's respective fortunes, instead of manning the bar stools and complaining about the price of Chang and Leo?

I know quite a few expats that are trying to help Thailand get ready for the AEC. Thailand aren't that good at listening.

Condescension thy name is Whybother...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The amount of "hindsight is 20/20 expats" commenting here is staggering - how is it that all you prognosticator "i told you so" experts aren't steering your own country's respective fortunes, instead of manning the bar stools and complaining about the price of Chang and Leo?

I personally can't remember ever complaining about the price of Chang and Leo (maybe cos I drink Singha, which is far too expensive), and I will admit to occasionally sitting on a bar stool, but with regards to AEC, it's nothing to do with hindsight, I've been commenting about it for a decade or more (in business circles and privately) and they've chosen to do jack squat about it ... it's the same with "education" here ... lots of talk, but with zero intentions to actually do or change anything, cos Thailand is #1 in the world at everything so why should they change anything, other people/countries should change their policies/attitudes/beliefs to fit in with Thailand ... that's their attitude. It's not going to change any time soon.

Apparently one poster doesn't know what "hindsight" means, as he then modifies it with "I've been commenting about it for a decade or more"... lmao

But he said 90 per cent of the country's businesses were SMEs and they were not ready because they did not have the capital or knowledge.

Here we go again, we're not ready for the competition, and that from a nation that claims at least 2 worldwide hubs a day.

He said this was especially the case for regulations that were acting as a barrier against the free movement of goods, labour, services and investment.

How there can be barriers, since the Thai understanding has always been that free trade agreements are a one way thing.

Many of us here have been talking about these issues for months.....finally someone has the balls to tell it as it really is.

Another example of agreeing to something and really not intending to actually abide.

It would seem that Thailand is being caught out in a most embarassing way.....they have a lot of work to do, to avoid major negative trade impacts and could well be bypassed!

I like this guys straight forward say it like it is approach.

What's perhaps even more important it that he's giving a learned unbiased professional opinion and is not toeing a political line dictated by what's best for the get rich quick club owner.

• Like 1

I know a few hotels that would love to trade in most of their Thai staff for Burmese or staff from the Philippines.

It's only skilled labour that can move, and it's not on a truly free basis. There are Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) for seven professions: engineering, nursing, physicians, dental, architecture, surveying and accounting. The agreements between the 10 Asean member countries means licensed and recognised professionals in these fields can move to other Asean countries to practice, but they are still subject to pass that country’s licensing test. There will be no flood of Burmese or Philippine hotel staff and vice versa.

• Like 2

I personally can't remember ever complaining about the price of Chang and Leo (maybe cos I drink Singha, which is far too expensive), and I will admit to occasionally sitting on a bar stool, but with regards to AEC, it's nothing to do with hindsight, I've been commenting about it for a decade or more (in business circles and privately) and they've chosen to do jack squat about it ... it's the same with "education" here ... lots of talk, but with zero intentions to actually do or change anything, cos Thailand is #1 in the world at everything so why should they change anything, other people/countries should change their policies/attitudes/beliefs to fit in with Thailand ... that's their attitude. It's not going to change any time soon.

Apparently one poster doesn't know what "hindsight" means, as he then modifies it with "I've been commenting about it for a decade or more"... lmao

Apparently another poster needs to go read a Dictionary first, and then read his post and the reply post again.

EDIT: perhaps my use and understanding of my native language is flawed, if that is the case I apologize, but please explain how "hindsight" applies to an event that has not happened yet ... AEC doesn't actually "happen" until late 2015, so (unless I am incorrect in the usage of "hindsight"), you can't use that word with regards to the AEC until after that date ...

Edited by Tatsujin
  • Like 2

For years, Thailand was the "diamond" in the "coal fields" of SE Asia. They were #1. But their "we're superior to everyone" attitude and "protectionism" slowly but surely cost them in ways they didn't, or refused, to see. Their educational system is an abysmal mess, with no positive corrections in sight on even the farthest horizon. They have gone from being the diamond to the status of a cubic zirconia in a Cheap Charley jewelry store.

the ruling parties and its leaders are too busy to promote absolute brainwashing, protecting their criminal elites and save their sorry faces out of the world,....

This 3rd world country will never be ready.

I'd rather say,... a country, ruled by stubborn, face-obsessed elites, will never be ready...

Edited by MaxLee

Many of those people whose comments and suggestions you discount as hot air have been retired living off of their legal earning/retirement nest eggs. No inheratance of wealth, just nose to the grind stone, careful budgeting and good investments

Its some times refered to as experience by those who have it, luck, ill gotten gains, etc by those much younger, those who have lived off family handout/hand me downs their entire life or those 2nd and 3rd generations existing on the dole as well as the common thieves who manage a early release or have not been caught yet.

Is that eye sight good enough to pass muster o learned one

Edited by slapout
  • Like 2

Idiots...3rd world?do you guys know what you are talking about?what i have experianced the last few days( medical issues with my new born) this country is FIRST world...even my home country could learn from it!

Of course you are a doctor yourself and know exactly how serious those medical issues were and if they would have been handled differently in your home country, unless you hail from Zimbabwe or Eritrea.

Isn't your's from the pink pussy bar then?

Edited by Anthony5
  • Like 2

Many of those people whose comments and suggestions you discount as hot air have been retired living off of their legal earning/retirement nest eggs. No inheratance of wealth, just nose to the grind stone, careful budgeting and good investments

Its some times refered to as experience by those who have it, luck, ill gotten gains, etc by those much younger, those who have lived off family handout/hand me downs their entire life or those 2nd and 3rd generations existing on the dole as well as the common thieves who manage a early release or have not been caught yet.

Is that eye sight good enough to pass muster o learned one

Nope - because the really industrious would not be wasting their time on TV like you and I - bar stool time!

An easy start would be to reform the trade barriers within Thailand.

I recently had to pay 250+ Baht for the privilege of paying cash into my Bangkok Bank account, because I was in the wrong province. Similarly, a 50 Baht charge for transferring a small sum from one BB account to another BB account in the wrong province.

If they are unable or unwilling ( high bank profits) to reduce these domestic barriers, God knows how they can reform on on international scale.

• Like 1

Cue even more big business, government partnerships with our friends in China.

China is still a burgeoning regional economic powerhouse and will continue to push its influence here and in those countries with natural resources and access to the sea.

Any business or transnational transport projects are a convenient smokescreen for a thinly veiled attempt to gain regional superiority and military influence.

I'm not sure how the AEC will make much difference for China given they're not an ASEAN country.

At present. The long term ASEAN roadmap contains the 'plus 3' principle and plan. http://www.asean.org/images/2013/external_relations/chairman%20statement%20of%20the%2016th%20apt%20summit%20-%20finalupl.pdf

My point was thought that while the AEC continues to flounder and delay, Thailand will move closer to China, as will Laos, Mynamar and Cambodia.

These relationships will also bolster China's influence over ASEAN and the AEC in the long run if it ever comes to fruition. In the meantime, China continues to strengthen its influence in the region with pacts and projects with individual countries.

Who knows, if Thailand's entry into the AEC really does come to a grinding halt, China may instigate its own version of economic - read political and military - treaty cooperation.

" Who knows, if Thailand's entry into the AEC really does come to a grinding halt, China may instigate its own version of economic - read political and military - treaty cooperation."

but how could that scenario unfold with Thailand so close militarily to USA while China is certainly not an American ally and indeed is forming closer ties with Russia?

I know a few hotels that would love to trade in most of their Thai staff for Burmese or staff from the Philippines.

It's only skilled labour that can move, and it's not on a truly free basis. There are Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) for seven professions: engineering, nursing, physicians, dental, architecture, surveying and accounting. The agreements between the 10 Asean member countries means licensed and recognised professionals in these fields can move to other Asean countries to practice, but they are still subject to pass that country’s licensing test. There will be no flood of Burmese or Philippine hotel staff and vice versa.

What you say about MRA's is correct. The problem being that all these professions require degrees (maybe not nurses) and it will soon be apparent to Thai students who cant get a job in these fields because migrants are better qualified, that Thailands education system is well behind that of their neighbours. People will then questions the cost of the two photos over the fireplace. Thin end of the wedge....Thailand wont let it happen

Thailand not ready for AEC, finance minister tells seminar ...

They missed a bit off the headline ... and NEVER will be!

He said this was especially the case for regulations that were acting as a barrier against the free movement of goods, labour, services and investment.

No real surprise there with their nationalistic protectionist ideology.

It's going to take something drastic for Thailand to be ever ready... start off with education, put aside the nationalistic ideology that Thailand is the greatest nation on earth ... it isn't and never will be. Stop attempting to protect everything 'Thai' - you have to learn to compete on a level playing field in order to develop and grow - anything less just makes you look inept and stupid.

What's going to happen with the FBA in 2015? If they change it so that foreigners have no control over their businesses then foreign investment will collapse and trade will take a beating.

No, they are not ready and at least one guy is fully aware of it.

• Like 1

Some interesting stuff in the link below, which might lead some to conclude that Thailand, having sensibly declined to sign the Trans Pacific Partnership being touted by Obama on behalf of Wall Street, should not be in a hurry to endorse yet another "free trade" agreement: http://altthainews.blogspot.com/search/label/Thailand

Wonderful, the inaugural meeting concerning ASEAN was in 1996 , that's some 18 years ago, yet Thailand is still not prepared?

Never ever will Thailand be ready or even willing to face competition in the region, innovation is the key to progress as opposed to imitation. A decent education system as opposed to an indoctrination system would indeed be a massive step forward.

Protectionist polices are fine in small doses, however the Thai system of spoon feeding and blanket baths for their companies and restrictive practices allied with a xenophobic inward looking mindset is going to and will be the road to economic and business Seppuku for this country

The seeds for this ASEAN garden growth were sown many years ago.Now those seeds have matured into national plant growth and full maturity is but a few months away. sadly it is blatantly obvious that Thailand is indeed the blighted growth in the ASEAN garden.

More like a forest of weeds in the garden !