Thailand : A Lawless Country

Kitsune

Has anybody heard of a weird concept called "justice"?

This is Thailand there is free food and shelter at the Wat if you are hungry and homeless. Justice is not stealing. You want something; work. 1% unemployment anyone can get a job. Steal from my home and my dog will explain justice to you.

Justice is when you have criminals being judged and punished by OTHER people than the victims themselves.

And so is Thailand constitution

It's my dogs constitution. She is a Thai dog. I guess that counts but she is not a people.

You climb over my wall and the dog bites you and my wife hits you with a cricket bat (cross cultural stuff). If wife knocks you unconscious the police come and get you. If you are still conscious normally you run away and the police get you in about ten minutes.

Thailand has had 37 constitutions I imagine it's in one of them.

Edited by thailiketoo

This is Thailand there is free food and shelter at the Wat if you are hungry and homeless. Justice is not stealing. You want something work. 1% unemployment anyone can get a job.

Accept farang if it a menial job

Teaching can be rather menial if approached in that way. If you can grunt in English you can work in Thailand.biggrin.png

This place is also dangerous...just the other night while I was out having a beer with a friend from Canada, he sat down at a table and literally did NOTHING, but apparently looked at a Thai youth in a funny way and got hit right in the face with a crowbar...we rushed him to the hospital.. Didn't bother calling the police, they could care less about if a Falang gets beaten up by a Thai....however if a falang beats up a Thai....oh boy, we have major problems...they only watch out for their own here and could give two flying f**** about what happens to anyone else but their own kind...True story...

I'm surprised they they knew he was a Canadian. What gave him away?

OP, I'm surprised that you are only seeing/hearing about this now. Up-country we call this village justice and it has been around I'm sure before people dressed up and pretended to be a police force.

For me, the only downside of this is that it can go too far and end up with someone dying. Personally, I don't believe people have confidence in the police force, and believe in most cases, the penalty does not deter the crime.

I am not sure that I would call it wrong, as I live here now and am not confused about what would happen in my country of origin.............................wink.png

You say here the people do not have confidence in the Police Force.....In my home country the Police do not have confidence in the Courts.

Edited by dotpoom

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This place is also dangerous...just the other night while I was out having a beer with a friend from Canada, he sat down at a table and literally did NOTHING, but apparently looked at a Thai youth in a funny way and got hit right in the face with a crowbar...we rushed him to the hospital.. Didn't bother calling the police, they could care less about if a Falang gets beaten up by a Thai....however if a falang beats up a Thai....oh boy, we have major problems...they only watch out for their own here and could give two flying f**** about what happens to anyone else but their own kind...True story...

I'm surprised they they knew he was a Canadian. What gave him away?

what other people use "Out and Aboot, or Eh???"

God I love Canadians, for me, some of the most unassuming, modest folks, again its lumping a whole group together, I'm sure there are plenty of canadian jerks, but I always enjoy my time with the Canuks....

...to pretend that a farang can act as a Thai might...with the same outcome....is extremely unrealistic....to begin with....

...and that makes it even scarier....

I have to agree with you. What an large and ill mannered bunch of bogans are turned loose in Thailand every year.

Spot On, - "Jdiddy," - Australia is just a 'police state' where for many years the traffic officers are expected to return more in fines than their monthly salaries, and it is posible for traffic infringement cameras to return more than $1 per annum! My friend was just booked for having an unlocked car door in the supermarket car park: - (It was an old model that theives had attacked and parts are too expensive and / or not available). "Viva La Revolution."

Yes, and that's exactly what the kid got - Thai justice.

You are not seeming to grasp the Thai way of doing things.

This is not the West. The guy knew the Cop would do nothing, or at worst, break up the beating and send the kid on his way. So, he gave the kid justice. Don't steal.

Kid did wrong. Deserved a beating. End of story.

By way of interest, what are you actually proposing should have happened?

• Like 1

Yesterday in Bangkok I witnessed a thief being caught in Minburi high street.

The thief was a skinny and dirty teenager, he tried to snatch a belt, just an ordinary brown belt for trousers, a belt that would not fetch over 100B on a market and which belong to a taxi-motorcycle orange vest driver, while passing by on the side of the road.

As soon as he grabbed the belt he orange vest driver immediately chased him and caught him.

He proceeds to beat him right bang in front of all passers-by.

The kid was not resisting he let the orange vest driver beat him until his rage was over.

He was then let off and the kid run off.

I watched the all scene along with a policeman sitting on his motorcycle. He never got off his motorcycle, he never intervened, he never asked anyone anything, he did not write a report, he just sat there as if nothing regarding law matters was happening.

Two weeks ago my friend had to stop someone from his family from beating up another thief to death. He said the guy was badly beaten and he thought he could die. My friend was called by a 5 year old kid to stop the massacre and let the thief escape.

So this is where we are now: A country where citizens make their own law and justice and who could blame them? Police is unqualified, corrupted and only motivated to do anything by waving a bunch of bills.

People are now finding normal not to resort to police for anything anymore and do their own justice.

This is really scary.

The alternative: in our "civilized" countries nobody does anything at all!

I am a woman with a chronic disease.

A medical condition, and I can think of many others, is a good reason for trying to stay focused on the positive.

Reporting what I witness, and not turning a blind eye to the country's problems is the best way I know to make it change for better

No, if you see something that disturbs you, just ignore it. That's the best way.

Weally, weally, weally scary.

A complete breakdown of law and order, no doubt about it.

I would head for the airport right this minute before it's too late.

BTW, why didn't you intervene?

I am a woman with a chronic disease.

Hahahha .. that shut his Big Mouth clap2.gif

Well it is all very well seeing nothing wrong with this. I see it as the thin edge of the wedge. If you can beat someone up with a policeman looking on, over the theft of a belt, then what happens if someone tries to steal his bike - shoot the thief? Then if that is the answer - and in many cases people get shot for very little here - what happens when someone steals your house - kill them? What happens if a money lender screws you over and leaves you homeless? Kill them?

This is the reason there are so many murders in Thailand over all sorts of things from journalists publishing stories someone doesn't like to a loss of face over some piddling matter. When there is a baseline of violence to solve issues then it gets dragged into other things. No that is not the way.

In a similar way corruption has spread its cancer through Thai society. The 200 baht for turning a blind eye to a traffic violation (100 baht for Thias), turns into 50,000 for a building permit issue, 40,000 for police to execute an arrest warrant when you present the criminal to them and so on and so on until everyone is grabbing anything they can and police go around randomly stopping foreigners trying to scam a few thousand off them where they can.

If the people on here see nothing wrong with police taking no action when a violent act is being committed but idly standing by, then it is a pity and a grave problem in society. No wonder there are so many rapes in Thailand - its all mai pen bloody rai!

Spot On, - "Jdiddy," - Australia is just a 'police state' where for many years the traffic officers are expected to return more in fines than their monthly salaries, and it is posible for traffic infringement cameras to return more than $1 per annum! My friend was just booked for having an unlocked car door in the supermarket car park: - (It was an old model that theives had attacked and parts are too expensive and / or not available). "Viva La Revolution."

I'd rip the ticket up in their faces, but id probably get done with littering, ripping up a ticket, disturbing the peace, contempt, then they'd defect my car and impound it

Give me a lawless country anyday

Thailand is not a lawless country...they are just having a hard time finding someone who will enforce the law...

I have been reproached by posters here for pointing out the lack of concern for laws and lose of life here...only to be told to go somewhere else if I can not say something good about their paradise...

I suspect you will get plenty of gruff from the Thai apologists for bringing this subject to the forum...

Please do post honestly here...it is refreshing to hear the rest of the story...

Same kind of stuff happens in some European countries too for sure. Its not like Thailand is worse of than Honduras or something.

you must be American,Honduras is not in Europe

To be honest Kaalie does not strike me as an American name. Why don't we ask?

Kaalle, sir or miss, soalbundy was trying to say Americans don't know anything about geography and has said you must be an American; are you? I don't think you are.

What nationality would you say most frequently try and stereotype other nationalities? I would say soalbundy would probably be that nationality. What do you think?

Plenty of Laws in Thailand, usually " In-laws "....as for the legal sort, plenty of those too but no one that particularly bother to "enforce" them as they should, just where it suits them and its profitable to do so.

First rule is accept the situation. Many farangs in Thailand moan constantly about their 'lot'. The (lack of) Law and order here is just another example

Like they say if you remain bitter about something, you will likely keep being a failure in life.

Edited by fish fingers

Is any developing country any different? I think people expect too much from Thailand. Give it another 20-30 years and it may be better.

You got it brother. The moaners are usually old guys who have their sex on tap, cheap beer and they want the laws to be the same as in their home countries.

Well they can;t have their cake and eat it - Thailand is the real world and has some advantages and disadvantages and like you say will be a lot better in 30 years.

Same kind of stuff happens in some European countries too for sure. Its not like Thailand is worse of than Honduras or something.

Well I never said it was. I meant that police can look the other way in well developed countries too. And the simple point I tried to make with Honduras was the fact that there are countries much more worse of than Thailand in regard to lawlessness.

Im Swedish btw.

Edited by Kaalle

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is any developing country any different? I think people expect too much from Thailand. Give it another 20-30 years and it may be better.

You got it brother. The moaners are usually old guys who have their sex on tap, cheap beer and they want the laws to be the same as in their home countries.

Well they can;t have their cake and eat it - Thailand is the real world and has some advantages and disadvantages and like you say will be a lot better in 30 years.

A lot better in 30 years? Brothah, this place will be under water (literally) in 30 years, probably the whole world too for that matter

Edited by Smurkster

had to throw in an anti american jab in there somewhere didn't ya?

OP, I'm surprised that you are only seeing/hearing about this now. Up-country we call this village justice and it has been around I'm sure before people dressed up and pretended to be a police force.

For me, the only downside of this is that it can go too far and end up with someone dying. Personally, I don't believe people have confidence in the police force, and believe in most cases, the penalty does not deter the crime.

I am not sure that I would call it wrong, as I live here now and am not confused about what would happen in my country of origin.............................wink.png

No confusion about how it's dealt in my country, as I am aware there are lot of places in the world that are also lawless.

I was not aware it was the same here; I knew the police was corrupted and useless, I just did not realized to which level.

Corruption is endemic in the police force, and the government. Evidenced by the current scandal with one of the top cops. As was stated in one of the the articles about this, every ministry in the south was involved in his web of corruption. The difference being, corruption is from top to bottom in the police force. But only at the upper levels in the government as they are the ones handling the funds. Sad, but true.

With that being said, there are some good apples out there. And they do a great job. But quite a few bad ones also.

P.S. A post with a rude comment has been removed from view.

i agree there are some good cops too. I own a factory and had an employee stealing. We called the police they worked with us to get the employee caught on video stealing and then arrested him. i was very happy with the way the police handled things. it does seem the General is trying to stamp out corruption but this will take time.

However bad cops are everywhere in the world not only Thailand. In the USA it is becoming more apparent how bad some of the cops are there.