Thailand : A Lawless Country

Kitsune

The motorbike taxi guy would likely have been paying the police to operate, while the thief probably wasn't.

Yes that what I mean

Police don't do anything "free" anymore.

And the people think it's better not to involve the police in most matters.

• Like 1

OP, I'm surprised that you are only seeing/hearing about this now. Up-country we call this village justice and it has been around I'm sure before people dressed up and pretended to be a police force.

For me, the only downside of this is that it can go too far and end up with someone dying. Personally, I don't believe people have confidence in the police force, and believe in most cases, the penalty does not deter the crime.

I am not sure that I would call it wrong, as I live here now and am not confused about what would happen in my country of origin.............................wink.png

OP, I'm surprised that you are only seeing/hearing about this now. Up-country we call this village justice and it has been around I'm sure before people dressed up and pretended to be a police force.

For me, the only downside of this is that it can go too far and end up with someone dying. Personally, I don't believe people have confidence in the police force, and believe in most cases, the penalty does not deter the crime.

I am not sure that I would call it wrong, as I live here now and am not confused about what would happen in my country of origin.............................wink.png

No confusion about how it's dealt in my country, as I am aware there are lot of places in the world that are also lawless.

I was not aware it was the same here; I knew the police was corrupted and useless, I just did not realized to which level.

No confusion about how it's dealt in my country, as I am aware there are lot of places in the world that are also lawless.

I was not aware it was the same here; I knew the police was corrupted and useless, I just did not realized to which level.

Corruption is endemic in the police force, and the government. Evidenced by the current scandal with one of the top cops. As was stated in one of the the articles about this, every ministry in the south was involved in his web of corruption. The difference being, corruption is from top to bottom in the police force. But only at the upper levels in the government as they are the ones handling the funds. Sad, but true.

With that being said, there are some good apples out there. And they do a great job. But quite a few bad ones also.

P.S. A post with a rude comment has been removed from view.

If anybody was to go in search of an honest cop or Jesus Christ reincarnated in Thailand, they would find JC first.

• Like 1

Weally, weally, weally scary.

A complete breakdown of law and order, no doubt about it.

I would head for the airport right this minute before it's too late.

BTW, why didn't you intervene?

I am a woman with a chronic disease.

And the question would be intervene on which side? Help the thief or help beating him?

• Like 2

I am a woman with a chronic disease.

A medical condition, and I can think of many others, is a good reason for trying to stay focused on the positive.

• Like 1

As told by a recent lorry driver carving someone up in another thread its "not your country"

Corruption is endemic in the police force, and the government. Evidenced by the current scandal with one of the top cops. As was stated in one of the the articles about this, every ministry in the south was involved in his web of corruption. The difference being, corruption is from top to bottom in the police force. But only at the upper levels in the government as they are the ones handling the funds. Sad, but true.

With that being said, there are some good apples out there. And they do a great job. But quite a few bad ones also.

P.S. A post with a rude comment has been removed from view.

If anybody was to go in search of an honest cop or Jesus Christ reincarnated in Thailand, they would find JC first.

Not strictly true I know ONE good un, hes VERY Buddhist and Im sure this is where it comes from.

He was in the border patrol Police for 8 years before changing to a local cop

Maybe it was his favorite belt.

Maybe the kid had nothing to hold his pants up.

But he stole it. He deserved the beating. He knew what would happen should he get caught.

Will he steal again? Probably.

The police let it happen because it should have happened.

What was the point of you post again?

• Like 1

I dont see a problem with this

Play stupid games win stupid prizes

In Australia the thief would be let off even if the police were bothered to put down their revenue raising radar guns to begin with and he would then keep thieving

Edited by Jdiddy
  • Like 2

In an ideal world the policeman would have intervened in the name of the law to keep the peace. The 'thief' may not be a thief. it is vitally important that differences should be arbitrated by the legal system, this is called The rule of Law. At the lowest level it is difficult to apply as this case shows. The policeman decided that the motorcycle taxi driver was entitled to dispense summary justice because he saw the incident in the same light as the "original poster".

Suppose that the belt had been stolen earlier from the kid, possession is nine tents of the law, the motorcycle taxi driver is the thief, and the "law" has supported him.

• Like 1

Kitsune,

Stop trying to make this land like your own. There's the spirit of the law and there's the letter of the law remember.

Back in the days of normal behavior the punishment of criminals was left to the people they affected, not some distant judge.

I bet the thief will be much less likely to reoffend now than if he'd been given a slap on the wrist by the court.

• Like 1

The motorbike taxi guy would likely have been paying the police to operate, while the thief probably wasn't.

Yes that what I mean

Police don't do anything "free" anymore.

And the people think it's better not to involve the police in most matters.

The most relevant point Thais think"its better not to involve the police in most matters" And that is the most dangerous issue if large sections of the country believe such.
  • Like 1