Thailand : A Lawless Country

Kitsune

That is why Thailand is called the" wild wild east". The lawlessness has many plus's along with the negatives.

I myself like cowboy justice. If the risk is higher for a thief he will think twice before committing a crime in many cases.

In our granny states the thief probably would have sued the guy but here he just goes away licks his wounds and will think twice before trying that again. Maybe will never do again,Rehabilitated.

The old saying goes play with bull and can get the horn. Criminals by nature donot go to the law to take care of issues and here neither do the common man need too.

Laws donot protect most people laws tie their hands and limit their freedoms.

Here the lawlessness is good in many ways.

My favorite is Individuals have more freedoms in choices concerning property and buildings,Can build what you want when you want on your own land with few restrictions. I said few not none. And little permit and licensing issues.

• Like 1

Many in the UK would like to return to a time when petty theft was dealt with by a "clip around the ear".

Being from the colonies and only being in England for one month on a holiday I was always under the impression England made heroes of thieves. Robin Hood a fine example. And Charles Dickens had Fagen.

I like Thailands deal with them at the scene justice.

This is how it is, this is Thailand, we cannot make comparisons and expect the same attitudes and so-called values of our home countries. I have come to accept this long ago and no point in complaining because it will not change anything, ex-pats either except the country for what it is and what it isn’t or they don`t. It`s that simple.

Then you have to explain to the 5 years old Thai girl who run to get my Farang friend that it is OK for people to club thieves to death ,because she did not think so

The police in this country don't enforce laws unless there is money in it for them. It's village justice and has always worked for the Thais. If you need a cops help you will have to pay him for his time. This is not the west, it's a completely different culture.

The police in this country don't enforce laws unless there is money in it for them. It's village justice and has always worked for the Thais. If you need a cops help you will have to pay him for his time. This is not the west, it's a completely different culture.

My THAI landlord disagree with you.

When a mooban bus driver assaulted me, he call the police. They would not budge.

He was outraged.

He then went to the Army, they did not care either.

He said "Poor Thailand, there is no justice anymore here".

OP, I'm surprised that you are only seeing/hearing about this now. Up-country we call this village justice and it has been around I'm sure before people dressed up and pretended to be a police force.

For me, the only downside of this is that it can go too far and end up with someone dying. Personally, I don't believe people have confidence in the police force, and believe in most cases, the penalty does not deter the crime.

I am not sure that I would call it wrong, as I live here now and am not confused about what would happen in my country of origin.............................wink.png

No confusion about how it's dealt in my country, as I am aware there are lot of places in the world that are also lawless.

I was not aware it was the same here; I knew the police was corrupted and useless, I just did not realized to which level.

" I knew the police was corrupted and useless, I just did not realized to which level."

To some extent that's true everywhere. In the US the police shoot or choke to death unarmed civilians with impunity and in the UK the police are on some payroll or other in addition to what they're paid by government.

Corrupt-Police-300x241.jpg

OP, I'm surprised that you are only seeing/hearing about this now. Up-country we call this village justice and it has been around I'm sure before people dressed up and pretended to be a police force.

For me, the only downside of this is that it can go too far and end up with someone dying. Personally, I don't believe people have confidence in the police force, and believe in most cases, the penalty does not deter the crime.

I am not sure that I would call it wrong, as I live here now and am not confused about what would happen in my country of origin.............................wink.png

No confusion about how it's dealt in my country, as I am aware there are lot of places in the world that are also lawless.

I was not aware it was the same here; I knew the police was corrupted and useless, I just did not realized to which level.

" I knew the police was corrupted and useless, I just did not realized to which level."

To some extent that's true everywhere. In the US the police shoot or choke to death unarmed civilians with impunity and in the UK the police are on some payroll or other in addition to what they're paid by government.

Corrupt-Police-300x241.jpg

Corruption is everywhere for sure, but again it's a question of level. Regular people don't do their own justice and beat a thief right bang in front of a policeman in the West

Weally, weally, weally scary.

A complete breakdown of law and order, no doubt about it.

I would head for the airport right this minute before it's too late.

BTW, why didn't you intervene?

Most advise says do not get involved, but one might expect a policeman to.

Weally, weally, weally scary.

A complete breakdown of law and order, no doubt about it.

I would head for the airport right this minute before it's too late.

BTW, why didn't you intervene?

I am a woman with a chronic disease.

what is it called, mine is cowardice.

• Like 1

The problem is that as policeman you MUST be corrupt. You need to pay to get promoted. If you don't do that you stay forever as low policeman. As low policeman the salary is simply not enough for living. So one way or another you are dragged into corruption.

+1...Sounds correct. No choice be to be with the 'group'.

what do expect ? This is thailand you <deleted> its dog eat dog in these streets

Yeah, I agree, it's just like Mogadishu out there.

(Black Hawk down!!, Black Hawk down!! We're taking fire! We need back up now! )

Edited by Gecko123

Is any developing country any different? I think people expect too much from Thailand. Give it another 20-30 years and it may be better.

Whilst being positive is admirable and I would like to say I am. On the other hand I am a realist. I would not call Thailand a developing country. iIn the 15 years here I have seen little development, so please excuse me if I am pessimistic. If you are talking about Bangkok or Chang Mai, well yes they are developing but they are not Thailand. In fact they are small in comparison of size to the rest of Thailand. With the way things are run here I would put a 0 on the end of your figures. I would love to see it but I wouldn't even say it was optimistic.

Corruption is everywhere for sure, but again it's a question of level. Regular people don't do their own justice and beat a thief right bang in front of a policeman in the West

I do. Always have. My wife too. After I'm done beating them I turn them over to the cops who beat them some more. Works for me. People should not steal.

• Like 1

I do. Always have. My wife too. After I'm done beating them I turn them over to the cops who beat them some more. Works for me. People should not steal.
yeh agreed

Only monkeys should be allowed to steal.

I don't dispute you saw this.Though, I don't think these events are isolated to Thailand. In a lifetime of S.E. Asia, the only bad behavior I've witnessed was in war zones. The world is under construction.The highway to heaven is always being repaired, worked on.

Has anybody heard of a weird concept called "justice"?

This is Thailand there is free food and shelter at the Wat if you are hungry and homeless. Justice is not stealing. You want something; work. 1% unemployment anyone can get a job. Steal from my home and my dog will explain justice to you.

Justice is when you have criminals being judged and punished by OTHER people than the victims themselves.

And so is Thailand constitution

The motorbike taxi guy would likely have been paying the police to operate, while the thief probably wasn't.

I keep seeing this and believe me, as a very regular user of the motosai guys (no other transport on Phuket etc), none of them pay the police huh.png Those with bamboo stands outside 'resorts' notwithstanding dry.png