Child, 7, badly hurt as bike and pick-up crash into huge Phuket hole

webfact

The first thing you wrote was about not wearing seatbelts. This to everyone here implies the first thing you were thinking is that somehow they played a part in their own misfortune. Kinda like when a woman gets raped she might be at fault. People who make these kind of statements make me sick. If the shoe fits....

This incident just pisses me off to no end. But for the Thais <deleted> archaic government and attitudes, this incident would have never occured. This just solidifies to me how <deleted> up the attitude of people here really is.

Such a sad time that such a young child and family is robbed of life and happiness all because of STUPIDITY of people here. The governement officials, police, should be made held reaponsible for this accident. If this happened in a civilized society, you bet your ass they would pay!

So sad sad.png

So you're everyone and no-one can read?

Sorry, I'm out of here, this is not the place for a discussion like this.

• Like 1

The first thing you wrote was about not wearing seatbelts. This to everyone here implies the first thing you were thinking is that somehow they played a part in their own misfortune. Kinda like when a woman gets raped she might be at fault. People who make these kind of statements make me sick. If the shoe fits....

This incident just pisses me off to no end. But for the Thais <deleted> archaic government and attitudes, this incident would have never occured. This just solidifies to me how <deleted> up the attitude of people here really is.

Such a sad time that such a young child and family is robbed of life and happiness all because of STUPIDITY of people here. The governement officials, police, should be made held reaponsible for this accident. If this happened in a civilized society, you bet your ass they would pay!

So sad sad.png

So you're everyone and no-one can read?

Sorry, I'm out of here, this is not the place for a discussion like this.

You know if in your "justification"post you would have said you were sorry and edited your statement a little instead of trying to justify your FUpd statement I would have given you the benefit of the doubt but, you didnt.

So that being said....dont let the door hit you in he a.s.s. on the way out.

So sad. Poor innocent child injured. <deleted> is wrong with this countries priorities? It is inexcusable that this hole was not fixed weeks ago when it happened. As for the signs (home made by the sounds of things because of apathy and pathetic management by authorities), why are they removed? There should have been a permanent lit barricade provided until the road was fixed. Millions of baht wasted on stupid stupid shit on a daily basis and the basics can't be dealt with. Why why why? This kind of crap make me so angry.

Hope mum and daughter make a speedy recovery.

General WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU !??????????????????? w00t.gif

Same here mate, so pissed with the authorities in the Land Of Scamsssssssss !!!

Again a proof that life is so cheap in TH !

It's a DISGRACE !!!

i really hope people read these things all over the globe so that they never intend to spend their holiday in this Banana state ! sad.png

Mentally deficient. So they couldn't put trees, brush, garbage, dead dogs, something, anything across the road to prevent people from driving into a missing section of road?!? Nope, nothing could be done because we don't have the funds.

what makes me mad,well this i am 150% sure of.

webfact reports ORBORTOR OFFICIALS SAID WE DONT HAVE THE FUNDS TO MAKE REPAIRS.

well the next all expences trip you and the family have with budget funds just remember this poor girl.

• Like 2

Thai people told me it can very well happen that authorities wait for roads to fall into even a bigger state of disrepair, so that later more money will be allocated for repairs, and they can pocket more themselves.

Edited by keestha

Thai people told me it can very well happen that authorities wait for roads to fall into even a bigger state of disrepair, so that later more money will be allocated for repairs, and they can pocket more themselves.

I hope the girl will make a full recovery.

Apologies to sound so crude, but I wonder what compels "Thai people" to wipe their behinds after defecating, yet they can't seem to figure out the importance of warding off would-be victims with ready-at-hand barriers. Their line of reasoning on issues like this, and numerous more, really beggars the imagination, and moreover makes a pretty loud and disgusting statement about their priorities.

To prove my point... have any barriers been put up after this, or is it still a direct path right into the hole?

Simply chopping a tree or two down in the vicinity of the hole and dragging it across the road would have blocked the road and prevented this from happening. All that would been needed would be a pickup truck to drag a tree, a piece of rope and a saw. Negligible cost and widely available.. It remains inexcusable and in my opinion criminally negligent that no significant preventative measures were put in place.

• Like 1

We cycle on this road, and thus have first hand knowledge.

This "hole" is actually a washed out bridge over a stream. I would guess that the capacity of the culvert pipe was not large enough to handle the water flow during torrential rains, which happen here with regularity. Thus the water washed out the entire bridge and collapsed the road.

Last time we went through there, we did not see much debris from the washout; looks like the cleaned it out already.

Did you look at the picture carefully? See the green net blocking the road behind the men? The net is about 20 meters from the washout.

We had a hard time getting by the net with our bicycles because the net extends al the way across and OVER the road edges. The net is supported by a rope, and we had to duck under the end of the net (going by the net was not easy, even on foot).

So....how did the truck drive through the net, and end up in the stream bed without breaking the rope/barrier? I would guess that someone had removed the "warning" net / barrier and the unknowing driver proceeded normally on the dark road, and ended up in the drink. The barrier was later replaced.

Exercise caution! TIT!

Child, 7, badly hurt as bike and pick-up crash into huge Phuket hole

Eakkapop Thongtub

Mayor Worawut told The Phuket News that his staff had installed a series of metal crowd control barriers across the road and put up warning signs at the side of the road before the hole, but that someone had removed the barriers – he did not know who or why.

He added that he had spoken to Ms Phakkamon in hospital. He said she told him she used the road regularly and, seeing the barriers no longer there, had assumed that the road had been fixed.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/child-7-badly-hurt-as-bike-and-pick-up-crash-into-huge-phuket-hole-50090.php

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2014-12-12

It appears from the two statements above that there were indeed warning barriers blocking the road but apparently someone had removed them, making the driver think the road was repaired.

If this is in fact true, whoever removed the barriers should be found and prosecuted to the highest extent possible.

God sped to this little girl and her family. I wish them strength during this sad event.

• Like 1

An inaccurate second-hand report of the child's status has been removed along with posts responding to it.

Please refrain from posting information about the child -- or the specific circumstances -- unless you are absolutely certain of the accuracy of the facts.

Idle speculation, and incorrect reports of the girl's condition, are only likely to add to this family's considerable distress.

• Like 2

What does 'apparently' mean?

If you would have read my post you would also have read 'As a father of a 7-year old this comes close to home, and makes me so incredibly sad. RIP Molly, and condolences to the parents.' Let's just hope that the earlier and later withdrawn notifications about her death don't come true.

So sad sad.png

I'm sorry but your comparisons are way off the mark, so calm your emotions for a second and try to think clearly. This is a very sad situation for all concerned, and yes the relevant authorities should bear the responsibility for their part in this incident, but if, as it's suggested but not reported, the mother and her little girl were not wearing their seatbelts, then that would certainly have played a part in their misfortune. The truck does not look so badly damaged that a person inside would have suffered those kind of injuries had they been belted in, so it does leave one to think that they weren't. If this was the case, then the mother, if not for compliance with the law, then certainly for the protection of her child, who is not old enough and responsible enough to make the decision herself, should have ensured her child was belted in.

Of course, the child may have been belted in the front seat and suffered the head injuries from the impact of the air bag, if they were fitted to the truck. If this was the case, then the mother has done the right thing trying to protect her child, but was unaware of the dangers of airbags hitting young children. It's all speculation right now and I guess we will never know for sure but that doesn't really matter when a childs life hangs in the balance, and at this time I suggest we should all hope and pray for her, and her mothers, full recovery.

• Like 2

The country has not attempted to address road safety, period! Surely any road works have to go through city hall on public roads in their provinces. All councils should have traffic management and they do not. All works must be tendered out and this tender should firstly include the cost of traffic management services provided for the duration and the job by city hall. This is paid for in the tender by the construction company. When i worked on the roads we could not start the job until the traffic management gave us the green light. They were in charge of all the cones, barriers, temporary lights etc. It is not a huge expense however life here is so cheap, what are the chances?

http://www.spasafetysystems.com/images/TMA-Cone-Trucks/tma-cone_truck.aspx

This accident could have been prevented with a couple of labourers, some timber & paint and a few hours work.

Place warning signs up well before the danger and even a wooden barrier across the road some 50m before the hole.

All up would probably cost less that a few thousand baht ..... If I was the mother, I would sue the Mayor for negligence.

A backward country run by Asses, as for going to the dogs, well that'll be the soi's covered.

Good to see all the nice new lamps along lots of the beach rds and useless traffic lights erected, money well spent.

Hope all make full and good recovery, also hope one day the powers that be will take responsibilty for peoples safety (won't hold my breath there though)

I have seen a similar large hole in a street in Lampang, with no barriers to alert oncoming traffic.

But some blame must be heaped onto the locals for the above incident as it is stated:

"Mayor Worawut told The Phuket News that his staff had installed a series of metal crowd control barriers across the road and put up warning signs at the side of the road before the hole, but that someone had removed the barriers – he did not know who or why."

I guess the signs were not tied down secure enough... whistling.gif