Thailand Tipping - when is it a definite NO?

David48

Thailand Tipping - when is it a definite NO?

Standing at a Chicken Stick roadside Vendor awaiting my order.

The man ahead of me ordered 6 sticks - Bt 10 a stick.

Handed him a 100 Baht Note and said 'Keep the Change'.

Now, Bt40 ain't that much ... but it's 40% of the Bill.

So, for me ... if I'm not 'Opening a Door' ... I'm not tipping.

After that ... it's negotiable.

If the Taxi Driver is polite, doesn't play political speeches ... that was really annoying a year ago.

Has a clean Taxi and doesn't cause me to leave marks in my underwear .. the Fare has a fair chance of being rounded up.

If I look at a Restaurant Bill for 4 people totalling Bt 8,000 ... facepalm.gif ... I'll be looking for the obligatory '10% Service Charge included'. But I do worry where that goes ... hopefully, in part, to the Staff.

So, unless I open a door ... no tip.

After that ... it's negotiable.

Do you have any rules, in Thailand when you won't tip ... or you will?

Edited by David48

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Must have been a gullible farang who left the 40 baht tip even thought you never said.

Mate, could have been a newbie to Thailand.

Almost definitely a Tourist as opposed to a long term stayer/resident.

I remember when my Sister came here for the second time to Thailand.

She liked the pineapple. She liked that the Street Vendor always smiled at her and was friendly.

When I asked what she pays for the fruit ... it was 30% more then what you or I would.

She stills lives with the 'oh, poor Thai people' mentality.

For her, she sees it as a Charity Donation. Up to her.

cmon you are not acting like an authentic thailand expat more of a naive tourist.

i can understand a little bit of thai and its not uncommon for a falang dumb dumb new in town fresh face to tip ridiculous money and the staff picking it up will something translating to "look how much that stupid farsng just gave me"

This is exactly the reason why dual pricing is running rampant. Well meaning, short stayers/newbees throwing extra money to people that do not expect it. Most vendors are lucky to pull in 500 baht in profits...per day. Here comes Dudley do Right topping off a good deal with an extra forty percent. Probably thinking "Cheap enough, why worry about it." Then he goes back to Bumduck Iowa for the next 11 months.

The rest of us, on pensions, are just gritting our teeth....Hoping we get the right, local price on what we buy. I came here for the deals, bubba.

One way I like to make merit is "opposite bartering" when the vendor says thirty baht, I will say "thirty five". Not always but if the seller is polite I like to give a bit extra as I know they don't make much. I always tip my barber, security guard and the guy who looks after my car. It makes things go smoothly and they look after me.

One way I like to make merit is "opposite bartering" when the vendor says thirty baht, I will say "thirty five". Not always but if the seller is polite I like to give a bit extra as I know they don't make much. I always tip my barber, security guard and the guy who looks after my car. It makes things go smoothly and they look after me.

Geronimo:

"the guy who looks after my car"?

"the security guard"?

I'm having a little difficulty reconciling these comments with your avatar.

What gives?

What goes around comes around and people always look after me. I like to spead it around a little, always buy things at our corner shop when I could pay less at a supermarket. The old lady needs to make a living. When I need help there is always a door that opens. Some people say I am lucky but I don't think it's anything to do with luck. Karma is universal.

What goes around comes around and people always look after me. I like to spead it around a little, always buy things at our corner shop when I could pay less at a supermarket. The old lady needs to make a living. When I need help there is always a door that opens. Some people say I am lucky but I don't think it's anything to do with luck. Karma is universal.

You are absolutely right. I tip the lady at the golf club giving me the guest rate when I haven't found a member to sign me in. Caddy always gets a tip because it is the convention; if she doesn't switch off her 'phone then tell her to. In fact service providers can't be upset if you demand service on your terms, I never ask a taxi driver if he is going my way, I just get in, but I always speak politely to them and I round up the fare. I don't tip in shops or food halls, swimming pool, 711, motorcycle taxis in the soi or buses. Chestnuts are not normal fare for most working people costing 240B per kilo so I have given them to people like the clippy and driver of the bus, taxi drivers, motorcycle taxis on the way home, and once to the cleaning lady at the pool. It's a little easier for me because although I am in Bangkok I am out side the tourist areas, so I don't have to follow any conventions. people can afford to be nice to one another here. When I have ventured South to Sukumwit, WTC I find things to be quite different especially the taxi drivers, so I can understand why people have a different attitude.

Certainly not a wealthy man, far from it!

Only problem is Donald Trump said the exact same thing about a week ago.

None o' them rich bastids will say they are rich. "I'm rich compared to what?"

The GDP of four or five 3rd world countries all added together? 27 cars and private jet? A&P yachts?

I lent "the Donald" US$20 back in the 90s (he claimed he was bankrupt due to divorce) and he still hasn't paid me back which makes him very poor indeed in my book.

It's true.

enuff said

~

Simple answer - it's not America, don't tip 10%.

Don't tip 10% in America either, unless you want a loogie in your coffee next time.

One of the few things I disliked about America when I have visited.

The expectation of a tip no matter what.

According to my gf, tipping in Thailand is an insult. Bar girls and the indigent are the only ones to be tipped. Tipping really is an archaic system for bwana to deign his blessings on the 'little people.'

I've been telling members here for years about that but you can't change their minds, they are too set in their thinking.

I only tip the amount to round something off, taxi 180 then I give 200

Noddle stalls small services etc never, nothing nada, the price is the price.

Why did you decide that a taxi driver deserves a tip but the noodle server doesn't?

Taxis have a price, stated on the meter.

My grievance is the foreigners who tip barbers even though they don't get a shave.

Where I live, I used to get a good haircut and a relaxing long shave and massage for 50 baht or so. Now they've started asking if I want a shave because there are so many farang in town that don't ask for one.

All these guys tipping a barber for the sake of it regardless of the service. It insults them and they take it out on all farang including me.

^^^^^, NM,

was talking to a Thai guy earlier, he rides the 8 baht bus all the way to HuaLamPong, goes to the hairdressing school, gets his haircut for free, then comes home on the same bus, total outlay about 4 hours of travel, free haircut, total cost, 16 baht, I asked him how much he tipped, he looked at me as if i was crazy.

Thankfully I use a barbers shop and not one of these fancy unisex pooftah places in a Mall.

Haircut, shave, trim my eyebrows, trim my nostrils, trim my ears, neck massage, total cost, 60baht, NEVER seen the Thais tipping, have been using the same place in BangKapi for years.

One wonders how much it is about the "mia farang" trying to gain face and upgrade her staus at someone elses expense.

No wonder they laugh at us.