Thailand in WW2

Smurkster

My great uncle fought in Burma during WW II. He remembered the Thai soldiers. He said you had to be careful with them and that they would kill you if they could.

the thai soldiers were on the other side. why wouldn't they try and kill him?

For the people that are a little slow...They were good soldiers.

Like in Dien Bien Phu!!???

Battle of Dien Bien Phu nothing to do with Thai soldiers. It was French and Vietnamese. The Vietnamese won.

Was not only french and vietnames ppl you forgot the french legion no french ppl could join them, expect some french officers who was commanded, in these times over 50 % germans in the french legion. To your comment to thai forces is right no offical Thai forces was there, but a whole Battalion Thai decent who living in this region around Dien Bien Phu still. There living over 20 different Tribes and today the biggest group are still 35% Thai decent.

Unfortunately is the same like the death railway info's every website provide you different numbers and facts.

So how is German Viking doing? Strike one, Alaska had a war, Strike two, Thais were not forced labor on the Death Railroad, Strike three, Thais nationals did not fight at Dien Bien Phu.

First I was busy still have to earn some money. Second I'm not so much involved into Alaska details as into wars in europe over the last 4000 years with involvements of the persians, egypts, hethiter etc.

Also indochina especially Dien Bien Phu I spoke decades ago with some german survivivors of this battle who was joining the french legion and read also some interesting books about these battle.

Only to built the Dead Railway costs about 16000 Allied POW lives, mainly from Commonwealth inclusive about 1900 dutch POW, in top estimatad 90,000 to 100,000 Asian victims from thailand, indonesia, malaysia, burma, singapore and some ethnic decent like mon, karen etc.

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/provinces/thailand_kanchanaburi.html

If you do the research I think you will find that the Thais got paid to work on the railroad and your link is incorrect as far as including Thais in the death figures.

I did'nt said anything they worked as slaves there, I said victims and meant death figures I was probably not precise enough.

If you have another link, then please provide and not only blabla.

Forced labour was used in its construction. About 180,000 Asian civilian labourers (mainly romusha) and 60,000 Allied prisoners of war (POWs) worked on the railway. Of these, around 90,000 Asian civilian labourers and 12,399 Allied POWs died as a direct result of the project. The dead POWs included 6,318 British personnel, 2,815 Australians, 2,490 Dutch, about 356 Americans, and about 20 POWs from other British Commonwealth countries (the Indian Empire, New Zealand and Canada)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma_Railway

in the link you provide is fairly the follwing written in frame:

This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear, because it has insufficient inline citations. Please help to improve this article by introducing more precise citations. (September 2011)

I recommend before you provide any link as truth, read it first yourself carefully in top when it come from Wikipedia, caused you don't know the source.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission, 2012, Search For War Dead (1 August 2012)

• The Japanese Thrust — Australia in the War of 1939–1945, Lionel Wigmore, AWM, Canberra, 1957.
  • Authenticated Records from Japanese POW camps along the Thai-Burmese railway 1942–45, second floor, Research library, Thai-Burma Railway Centre, Kanchanaburi, Thailand, 2008.
  • Prisoners of the Japanese - POWs of World War II in the Pacific, Gavan Daws

Sorry No Thais. The odd story you provided has no links at all

For the people that are a little slow...They were good soldiers.

Like in Dien Bien Phu!!???

Battle of Dien Bien Phu nothing to do with Thai soldiers. It was French and Vietnamese. The Vietnamese won.

Was not only french and vietnames ppl you forgot the french legion no french ppl could join them, expect some french officers who was commanded, in these times over 50 % germans in the french legion. To your comment to thai forces is right no offical Thai forces was there, but a whole Battalion Thai decent who living in this region around Dien Bien Phu still. There living over 20 different Tribes and today the biggest group are still 35% Thai decent.

Unfortunately is the same like the death railway info's every website provide you different numbers and facts.

Black Thais are not from Thailand. They are not Thai people. They are Vietnamese highland people.

The Tai Dam, Tai Dum or Black Tai (Thai : ไทดำ) are an ethnic group of Vietnam You are in error. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_Dam_people.

Just to say one more time you wrote, "For the people that are a little slow...They were good soldiers.

Like in Dien Bien Phu!!???"

No there were no Thai soldiers fighting at Dien Bien Phu (1600 Germans (many SS right out of the prison camps) but no Thai soldiers). The Tai Dam originate from the vicinity of Dien Bien Phu, The Tai Dam are known as "the people without a country." In the 1950s during the Vietnam-French War, many of the Tai Dam moved from Vietnam to Laos

Edited by thailiketoo

Only to built the Dead Railway costs about 16000 Allied POW lives, mainly from Commonwealth inclusive about 1900 dutch POW, in top estimatad 90,000 to 100,000 Asian victims from thailand, indonesia, malaysia, burma, singapore and some ethnic decent like mon, karen etc.

If you do the research I think you will find that the Thais got paid to work on the railroad and your link is incorrect as far as including Thais in the death figures.

I did'nt said anything they worked as slaves there, I said victims and meant death figures I was probably not precise enough.

If you have another link, then please provide and not only blabla.

Forced labour was used in its construction. About 180,000 Asian civilian labourers (mainly romusha) and 60,000 Allied prisoners of war (POWs) worked on the railway. Of these, around 90,000 Asian civilian labourers and 12,399 Allied POWs died as a direct result of the project. The dead POWs included 6,318 British personnel, 2,815 Australians, 2,490 Dutch, about 356 Americans, and about 20 POWs from other British Commonwealth countries (the Indian Empire, New Zealand and Canada)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma_Railway

in the link you provide is fairly the follwing written in frame:

This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear, because it has insufficient inline citations. Please help to improve this article by introducing more precise citations. (September 2011)

I recommend before you provide any link as truth, read it first yourself carefully in top when it come from Wikipedia, caused you don't know the source.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission, 2012, Search For War Dead (1 August 2012)

• The Japanese Thrust — Australia in the War of 1939–1945, Lionel Wigmore, AWM, Canberra, 1957.
  • Authenticated Records from Japanese POW camps along the Thai-Burmese railway 1942–45, second floor, Research library, Thai-Burma Railway Centre, Kanchanaburi, Thailand, 2008.
  • Prisoners of the Japanese - POWs of World War II in the Pacific, Gavan Daws

Sorry No Thais. The odd story you provided has no links at all

I apologize that I read in a book decades ago about Dien Bien Phu and was stupid enough to believe everything without prove. There was written a Thai battalion fought on the side of the french forces and surrendered on the first 1 day as general Giap forces unexpected start the artillery fire from the surrounding mountains just opportunists. I agree after some recherge that they meant a kind of tribes who living in this region.

Conclusion: just another passport does'nt change the attitute. wink.png

The Vietnam posts are interesting but I don't really think about WWII (except in the way that WWII is an extension of WWI kind of thing. Vietnam is an extension of WWII in SEA)

I do have a few questions that I don't know the complete answers to. Thailand was invaded by whom on the Allies side? What happened during the invasion? Who did the Thais surrender to? How many Thais were tried for war crimes and what was the result? How long after the invasion of Thailand by the Allies did it take to release the prisoners on the Death Railway project?

It is my understanding that Thailand seized the assets of British teak companies during the war; did they give them back?

The USA bombed Bangkok with B-29 Super fortresses to practice for the fire bombing on Tokyo; why didn't Bangkok burn down like Tokyo?

Edited by thailiketoo

The Vietnam posts are interesting but I don't really think about WWII (except in the way that WWII is an extension of WWI kind of thing. Vietnam is an extension of WWII in SEA)

I do have a few questions that I don't know the complete answers to. Thailand was invaded by whom on the Allies side? What happened during the invasion? Who did the Thais surrender to? How many Thais were tried for war crimes and what was the result? How long after the invasion of Thailand by the Allies did it take to release the prisoners on the Death Railway project?

It is my understanding that Thailand seized the assets of British teak companies during the war; did they give them back?

The USA bombed Bangkok with B-29 Super fortresses to practice for the fire bombing on Tokyo; why didn't Bangkok burn down like Tokyo?

an extension of ww ii in asia!! lol! good one!!

Probably been raining and flooded

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decolonisation_of_Asia

Also worth a look is this man. He was a hero and indeed his efforts saved Thailand a lot of penalties after the cessation of hostilities, indeed a hero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pridi_Banomyong

Not a hero at all but the reason cannot be discussed on here, it relates to the 'regency' of course

There is a website in Thai language that I was reading last night that gives some historical facts but I guess I can't post a link.

a catalyst is not the same as the first part OF an event. I thought english was your first language??

a catalyst is not the same as the first part OF an event. I thought english was your first language??

I can't post about Vietnam without going off topic. Suffice it to say the Brits did a good job after WWII in Malaysia and the Yanks did a poor job in Vietnam.

Probably been raining and flooded

On 5 June 1944, B-29s raided Bangkok, in what is reported as a test before being deployed against the Japanese home islands. Sources do not report from where they launched, and vary as to the numbers involved—77, 98, and 114 being claimed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_B-29_Superfortress

Also worth a look is this man. He was a hero and indeed his efforts saved Thailand a lot of penalties after the cessation of hostilities, indeed a hero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pridi_Banomyong

Not a hero at all but the reason cannot be discussed on here, it relates to the 'regency' of course

There is a website in Thai language that I was reading last night that gives some historical facts but I guess I can't post a link.

Not in the' land of the free' you can't!

I can't post about Vietnam without going off topic. Suffice it to say the Brits did a good job after WWII in Malaysia and the Yanks did a poor job in Vietnam.

lol! youve already been posting about vietnam. what do you think your silly claim of a ww ii extension was!!?? lol.

thanks for the links and the serious reply but my post was a tongue in cheek answer to why Bangok didn't burn

You may be correct. I came here in the 1960's and Bangkok still had a serious flooding problem.

Yep I'd think incendiary devices ain't a lot of good in the rain and landing in a 4 ft deep puddle.

There seems to be some confusion about Dien Bien Phu, which is probably understandable. Even today the major demographic group is ethnic Tai, roughly 80%. However, they did not come from Thailand but from the Yunnan region of western china about 1000 years ago, migrating along the Red River. The Tai and Thai languages have many similarities. Subgroups in Vietnam are Tai Khao, Tai Daeng, and Tai Dam, which many people will understand. Whether they fought against the French is off-topic.

Can anyone answer me this : 12 or 13 years ago I visited Kanchanaburi & did the whole war tour over 3 days ,now i've just been going through some photos from the time & one that stands out is at HellFire Pass(konyu cutting?) that has me pointing at the railway track ,that clearly has "Rainham (Steel)" cast on it !

I'm pretty sure rainham Steel is based in Bury England ,how or why is their track at Hellfire pass ,surely it's not the original,anyone know?

Can anyone answer me this : 12 or 13 years ago I visited Kanchanaburi & did the whole war tour over 3 days ,now i've just been going through some photos from the time & one that stands out is at HellFire Pass(konyu cutting?) that has me pointing at the railway track ,that clearly has "Rainham (Steel)" cast on it !

I'm pretty sure rainham Steel is based in Bury England ,how or why is their track at Hellfire pass ,surely it's not the original,anyone know?

Found most of the answer myself with Google and Scotchthumbsup.gif

Pity the thread is drifting off topic and descending into the personal slagging matches that are typical of TV. Hey!! everyone has a bit of the story - I'm fascinated by the fact that someone here has read some personal accounts of the Germans captured in Vietnam (rare info because the books are in German and completely out of print) - they too were prisoners of war given a "choice" of joining the French Foreign Legion and fighting in SE Asia or waiting for years to be processed after capture in the occupied parts of France. The PoWs dying on the Death Railway with official Thai compliance were given no such choice.

There have been some snappy comments by some - who objected to the posting about how WWII hangs on as a residue in the region. Come on guys and gals where in the hell do you think the current border dispute with Cambodia about a temple came from????? Why do you think that important oil and gas fields in the Gulf are disputed because Thailand actually runs down the sea side of Cambodia in an extended sliver 5km wide? - How come Thailand has such a weird border with Myanmar and Cambodia (and Malayasia)? It all has to do with the War and the end of colonialism.

By the way I meet a guy in BKK who told me there is still visible damage to some old building in the old dock area from bombs dropped by the American B29s and that back in the early 60s construction of one on the luxury hotels on the River had to be halted when an unexploded 500lb bomb was discovered in the mud.

It was someone famous who wrote something along these lines "a nation that doesn't learn from its past is bound to make the same mistakes in the Future". And in Thailand - it is a bit like a John Clease skit - "don't talk about the War" or what some military rulers at that time did. Now lets be honest about things -if I'm allowed - there are times when one travels that one finds real interesting things while surfing the net - but when you get back here - the site is not available. So if you think you are going to read anything really incisive about the military history of Thailand on an open site like Wikipedia then you obviously don't know who is control and has their finger on the button or the switch. Just commenting -- Thais are not famous for hanging their embarrassing washing on the line - in full public view.

it has to do with colonialism. period.