Be careful out there

cornishcarlos

I saw that accident when it first appeared on FB a day or two ago.

Have to say I have seen way too many similar here in the last couple years.

What really caught my attention on this one is where the impact occured

which would have to said to be one of the toughest parts of the truck...& what

the result was. Those who saw all the pictures associated with this saw not only the gore but the damage

I am speaking of to the front end/axle of the truck.

I have ridden or more accurately raced a large part of my life.

When younger I was a Honda Sponsored racer at State level & supplied with 2 race bikes per season

& any parts I needed.

I love riding & have always owned bikes for over 30 years....always had good sportbikes back home in the US

600/900RR types. Here I also had a smaller bike for a year but sold it recently

I will make no excuses/mince words...I do not ride to tour or look at scenery I ride tight twisty mountain areas I scout

out & I ride at high speeds. I am not saying I rode beyond my ability as I was well within that & never suffered any accidents but....

I realized I am just not a road rider & if I am not on a track I should not be on a bike here in Thailand period.

I felt fine doing so in the US ( yes I know it is equally illegal) but there folks knew how to drive & roads were 101% safer & I rode mountain sections

for many many miles with never a car in sight.....but here it was really

just a matter of time before I would be a statistic so I decided to get off the bike & sold it.

I am sure many can ride here safely/normally & good luck to you all. Keep your wits about you & you may be all right.

All things are not avoidable & we as riders know that going in but we can do our best if riding normally.

But in my case as I said I am not suited to legal/normal road style riding & while I was never a squid in traffic what I did on mountain roads

was basically high speed time trialing.

I think I have come to my senses & have corrected my own problem the only way I could.

If it ever becomes feasible for me to own & deal with track only riding I will but until then I'm out.

Enjoy your rides

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

I saw that accident when it first appeared on FB a day or two ago.

Have to say I have seen way too many similar here in the last couple years.

What really caught my attention on this one is where the impact occured

which would have to said to be one of the toughest parts of the truck...& what

the result was. Those who saw all the pictures associated with this saw not only the gore but the damage

I am speaking of to the front end/axle of the truck.

I have ridden or more accurately raced a large part of my life.

When younger I was a Honda Sponsored racer at State level & supplied with 2 race bikes per season

& any parts I needed.

I love riding & have always owned bikes for over 30 years....always had good sportbikes back home in the US

600/900RR types. Here I also had a smaller bike for a year but sold it recently

I will make no excuses/mince words...I do not ride to tour or look at scenery I ride tight twisty mountain areas I scout

out & I ride at high speeds. I am not saying I rode beyond my ability as I was well within that & never suffered any accidents but....

I realized I am just not a road rider & if I am not on a track I should not be on a bike here in Thailand period.

I felt fine doing so in the US ( yes I know it is equally illegal) but there folks knew how to drive & roads were 101% safer & I road mountain sections

for many many miles with never a car in sight.....but here it was really

just a matter of time before I would be a statistic so I decided to get off the bike & sold it.

I am sure many can ride here safely/normally & good luck to you all. Keep your wits about you & you may be all right.

All things are not avoidable & we as riders know that going in but we can do our best if riding normally.

But in my case as I said I am not suited to legal/normal road style riding & while I was never a squid in traffic what I did on mountain roads

was basically high speed time trialing.

I think I have come to my senses & have corrected my own problem the only way I could.

If it ever becomes feasible for me to own & deal with track only riding I will but until then I'm out.

Enjoy your rides

As a professional rider and going by your knowledge what would be the estimated speed of the bike? I am guessing at or over 150kph.

As a professional rider and going by your knowledge what would be the estimated speed of the bike? I am guessing at or over 150kph.

Yes easily over 150k & likely considerably higher

Crazy inconsiderate don't give a stuff about the consequences people here in Thailand! Hope people will learn from yet another avoidable death.

Since I got my 43bhp NV running properly I have taken to riding it faster, even racing another <deleted> away from the lights on a few occasions and always leaving them for dead, so I do get the "buzz" thing and used to do it a lot when I was younger in my cars.

But every time I do it now I feel really stupid afterwards, if you have a fast bike, or indeed a fast anything there is that real temptation to find that buzz again, but I know that if I smash myself up doing precisely what I tell others not to do, it will be my fault, 100%.

Indeed I will feel sorry for guy I hit, no matter what he did.

Dont be lulled into thinking it is always a inconsiderate/bad driver

Here it can be so many things.

It can be a poorly maintained section, animals, even big patches of animal crap

This is KaoYai I believe

imagine if that approaching car was 5 seconds early on arrival when this came onto the road?

I once saw a car that had just hit a cow that strayed onto a road. The engine was pushed into the cockpit.

post-82547-0-31252100-1418467342_thumb.j

Edited by mania

When riding a fast bike, there is always the temptation to max it out. That's one of the reasons for buying a big, fast bike after all.

However, the road and traffic conditions in Thailand are such that this may prove costly / dangerous. In my opinion, the majority of road users are Thailand are not sufficiently skilled or knowledgeable, so I take that into account when deciding when to overtake, what speeds to ride at, when to speed up or when to slow down.

Before overtaking any vehicle, I tend to study the other driver's actions for a short time, to try and determine if he/she is going to pull out or make a U turn in front of me. When I then do decide to overtake, I give as much space as possible between us, space for me to swerve as well if necessary.

Very often, less haste means more speed, especially on a bike.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Even if the truck was at fault, the biker paid the price. My advice ride at a controlled speed and expect everyone to pull out in front of you. Speed kills, dead men don't argue. The bike looks as if it was driven halfway into the truck.

+1 very good advice.

Many so called bikers armed with flashy gears and helmet, may self assume "safe". Ride at a speed where it is "safe", nothing else is safe. This speed, what I like to call the zen of speed, varies according to surroundings and situations. In a small soi, the speed becomes 10-20, not because the sign said so. BECAUSE I SAID SO. Humans, flying debris, dogs, cats, they are all out to kill you, adjust speed accordingly.

Give it a thought, if today you can go out there and ride without a helmet and protective gear, how would you ride?

Take that exact same attitude, and ride with your gears. That makes safety 100%+100%= best protection for your life.

On the road, if there is anything that even hints danger, start thinking how to evade it. Only until the road is clear of ALL road users, may you increase your speed accordingly while watching for road conditions and weather.

A long stretch road with good payment, but a cat sitting at the left in front of you? Immediately stop to 20-30km/h, EVEN if the cat doesn't want to cross. That same concept applies to all.

in my home land this was called defensive driving/riding

you usually ;learn this from experience, but there are courses available

ive been riding 13 years accident free in thailand

defensive riding is the only safe method to survive

constant adjustment for the riding conditions and learning to predict potential hazzards is the only way to a safe trip

even if its just down to the local 7-11

• Like 1

Mania - factory sponsorship !!! Must have been a rocket ship !!

Saw the same thing between Pai and Mae Hong Son, except it was a water buffalo. Exploded from the bush on the side of the road ! Scared the S**T out of me !!

• Like 1

Dont be lulled into thinking it is always a inconsiderate/bad driver

Here it can be so many things.

It can be a poorly maintained section, animals, even big patches of animal crap

This is KaoYai I believe

imagine if that approaching car was 5 seconds early on arrival when this came onto the road?

I once saw a car that had just hit a cow that strayed onto a road. The engine was pushed into the cockpit.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

You wouldn't be driving at high speed on this road unless you have a death wish, safe speed would be no more than 60kph. as for the chang a good driver would have been driving well ahead of himself and at the speed I mentioned would have been able to stop/avoid or have a very minor encounter.

One very important thing forgotten here, if the rider had insurance it will be invalid due to breaking the law, his family will now be burdened with huge bills!

This is just wrong, accidents happen mainly because at least one of the 2 vehicles involved broke the law. Never heard the insurance getting canceled for this reason.

I heard a lot about them TRYING not to pay, but haven't heard of insurance getting cancelled.

Not having a license isn't the same as breaking a traffic law. If someone has no license, they wouldn't even be able to buy/rent a vehicle. Not sure if my last statement applies to Thailand, but again, not having a license isn't the same as a traffic violation.

You wouldn't be driving at high speed on this road unless you have a death wish, safe speed would be no more than 60kph. as for the chang a good driver would have been driving well ahead of himself and at the speed I mentioned would have been able to stop/avoid or have a very minor encounter.

That is to assume you have any time to react

The elephant or whatever could step out a split second before your

at the same point.

The car I saw that hit a cow that darted out was doing 60-70kph

Engine was shoved back...no choices at times are available...yes usually

there are hopefully options & that is the sign of a good rider to know what those are

besides braking.

I heard a lot about them TRYING not to pay, but haven't heard of insurance getting cancelled.

Not having a license isn't the same as breaking a traffic law. If someone has no license, they wouldn't even be able to buy/rent a vehicle. Not sure if my last statement applies to Thailand, but again, not having a license isn't the same as a traffic violation.

What are you talking about, who says you can't rent a big bike without a licence? my mate rented an R1 without being asked for a licence! They are only interested in your passport. Edited by Badrabbit

We see a lot here due to things already mentioned. But also the sheer amount of bikes here

also suggests why we see more events.

I do believe for those who ride normally & with skill it is not so much different than many other places.

Meaning it can be a safe form of transportation/pleasure.

at the same point.

there are hopefully options & that is the sign of a good rider to know what those are

besides braking.

And to add to this, elephants are fast, if one runs out at full speed from the bush in front of a moving car, even @60 kmh there might not be any time to react.

• Like 1

at the same point.

besides braking.

And to add to this, elephants are fast, if one runs out at full speed from the bush in front of a moving car, even @60 kmh there might not be any time to react.

Yea fair enough but we are talking about a bike and pick-up.

Yes some things just get filed under "Sh!t Happens" wink.png

Also talking about "Be Careful Out There"

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

What are you talking about, who says you can't rent a big bike without a licence? my mate rented an R1 without being asked for a licence! They are only interested in your passport.

Read my reply again. I said this rule probably excludes Thailand.

We see a lot here due to things already mentioned. But also the sheer amount of bikes here

I do believe for those who ride normally & with skill it is not so much different than many other places.

I've never had a problem in over 6 yrs but lately my confidence has been knocked due to the increased amount of lunatics about.

What are you talking about, who says you can't rent a big bike without a licence? my mate rented an R1 without being asked for a licence! They are only interested in your passport.

Read my reply again. I said this rule probably excludes Thailand.

Oh sorry! getting ahead of myself.

Yes some things just get filed under "Sh!t Happens" wink.png

Also talking about "Be Careful Out There"

That goes without saying "be very careful out there"

• Like 1

Just had a look at my insurance policy which is in Thai, but in English it does say " all questions must be answered honestly otherwise liability could be denied" if I remember correctly one question is "how fast were you traveling just before impact and at impact"

Edited by Badrabbit

@Badrabbit - Get off your soap box mate, we get it, riding in Thailand can be dangerous. We know and we still ride.

You may choose to sell your bike and stop riding here. That's your choice but the way you are rambling on here I doubt you even own a bike and we can all add you to the list of trolls who seem to love visiting the wretched hive of scum and villainy that is the 'Bikes in Thailand' forum.

A man died, have some respect!

• Like 2

@Badrabbit - Get off your soap box mate, we get it, riding in Thailand can be dangerous. We know and we still ride.

You may choose to sell your bike and stop riding here. That's your choice but the way you are rambling on here I doubt you even own a bike and we can all add you to the list of trolls who seem to love visiting the wretched hive of scum and villainy that is the 'Bikes in Thailand' forum.

A man died, have some respect!

I have respect which is why I am very concerned, it's a serious subject that deserves discussion otherwise why would the picture have been posted on a forum that is meant for discussion, do I own a bike, "yes I do and probably a lot more powerful than the bike you own" stay safe mate!

• Like 1

Yes youre correct i think that bikes sure can be safe transport and great fun to ride and crashes can and do happen all over this globe.You can die just as easily on a bike as in a car truck or airplane or eating bad or drinking or drugged up or even slipin the shower and die if you are a bit unlucky .Life is a lottery at best, it must be just to understand how and why so many people die everyday often because of a lifestyle choice of there own or because of someones else negligents Mean to say if you have done everthing right and still die how can it be explained other than like the lottery drawer which is totaly unpredictable. r.i.p guy.

Edited by speedthrills